• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 11:36 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2920 posts
187 upvotes
stack1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 4:43 pm

I have given many Starbucks cards, though last year I switched to Walmart. So since I want to give gift cards, what's a good choice? Walmart, Chapters, Amazon, Dollarama? I usually give a McCafe card to the bus driver.

I get my kids to write a note, but I don't like getting "stuff", because I myself don't like clutter, lol!
Any of those are good. Maybe not so much with Chapters these days as I tend not to buy as much there as I used to, their stuff is overpriced and my money goes further on amazon or through scholastic for classroom library stuff. Dollarama is another one I hadn’t considered, but I think (like amazon or Walmart) would be nice to get. We teachers spend so much of our money there already on supplies/crafts/projects, it would basically be like your gift going directly back into your kid’s classroom. And thank you (or parents like you) for not adding to my clutter, I’ve got enough “teacher” themed mugs and candles to last a lifetime. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Kiraly wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 6:34 pm
Best gift for an elementary school teacher? A box of pencil erasers. Erasers tend to sprout legs and walk away. Teachers can never have too many. Same as boxes of kleenex for kindergarten teachers. Any kindergarten teacher will tell you that a steady supply of kleenex is absolutely essential, but of course the school doesn't supply that.
It really depends on the class. I don’t use erasers at all, and while I agree Kleenex is always needed and appreciated, it would make a rather odd “teacher gift”. Like, “thank you for teaching my kid this year, we’ll miss you, here’s a box of Kleenex”? Maybe better to just give that during the year as a “just because” thing, especially in winter or when your kid has a cold/allergies. And I agree schools should definitely supply it, I spend a huge amount of my budget and some of my own money as well on stuff like that, which would be much better spent on other stuff the kids need.
Jun 11, 2006
129 posts
109 upvotes
riffr aff wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 8:17 pm

Gifts to people compensated handsomely drives me batty. The gamesmanship between parents is inane. The fact some kids feel like crap b/c their families can't afford lavish gifts while others can, sucks.
I have no idea what other parents get, and I'm pretty sure my kids don't know or care either. I'm sure in their mind a gift is a gift, be it a spa gift card or a homemade ornament.

I know teachers are paid well, but I also recognize that most spend alot of their own money towards their students and classrooms. Some teachers even give gifts back to the students!

Besides that, we've had some wonderful teachers who really cared for and brought out the best in our children.
I don't actually give a huge amount because there are so many teachers and I have 3 kids, I just do it as a token of appreciation.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
141 posts
96 upvotes
First of all, let me thank all the teachers in this thread and the forum for educating our kids and doing their part in making them better people.

And I agree with some of the teacher's points made here.

Most teachers would have enough "You're the best teacher" mugs and candles that they would be storing in a warehouse.

Reg gifting a box of Kleenex, the teachers in my kids school occasionally send a request home for a box each from all students. So I think that base is covered.

@earthygoat @jerrysiz @Kiraly I get a feeling that you are in the teaching profession. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Can you kindly confirm if a bottle of wine is also appropriate (along with the GC) ? I know if I am my son's teacher, I would need that for sure. Winking Face

Edit 1: Added another user's handle who I think is also a teacher.
Aug 16, 2009
855 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
We usually give the teachers gift cards of some sort during Xmas and end of school year. It's a private school system and that seems to be the "etiquette".
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
2920 posts
187 upvotes
kgvaughan wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 12:13 pm

@earthygoat @jerrysiz @Kiraly I get a feeling that you are in the teaching profession. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Can you kindly confirm if a bottle of wine is also appropriate (along with the GC) ? I know if I am my son's teacher, I would need that for sure. Winking Face
It’s certainly not necessary, but I don’t think it would be inappropriate at all if that’s what you’d like to give. It’s a very nice gift, and will be appreciated as such whether the teacher drinks wine or not.

As I said in my first post, I don’t drink wine, but I’d still appreciate you gifting it to me, and would use it for cooking or give it away to someone who would drink it. Similarly, teachers who don’t drink coffee might give away a Starbucks gc, or use it to buy a sandwich (or one of those glorified milkshakes they call frappuccinos).

Anytime you give a gift that involves even the slightest bit of personal preference, you won’t for sure know the result unless you know the recipient really well. Teachers regularly receive scarves that don’t match their style, costume jewelry they’d never wear, or homemade treats they are allergic to. But we know they are given with love, and appreciate them just as much as the ones we will be able to use.

Wine and a gc is a lovely gift, don’t overthink it. And, if what you say about your son is true, there’s always this ⬇Face With Tears Of Joy
Images
  • 823A82E7-AAFC-43CC-9870-4CB0295521AC.jpeg
[OP]
Aug 23, 2017
141 posts
96 upvotes
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 3:16 pm
It’s certainly not necessary, but I don’t think it would be inappropriate at all if that’s what you’d like to give. It’s a very nice gift, and will be appreciated as such whether the teacher drinks wine or not.

As I said in my first post, I don’t drink wine, but I’d still appreciate you gifting it to me, and would use it for cooking or give it away to someone who would drink it. Similarly, teachers who don’t drink coffee might give away a Starbucks gc, or use it to buy a sandwich (or one of those glorified milkshakes they call frappuccinos).

Anytime you give a gift that involves even the slightest bit of personal preference, you won’t for sure know the result unless you know the recipient really well. Teachers regularly receive scarves that don’t match their style, costume jewelry they’d never wear, or homemade treats they are allergic to. But we know they are given with love, and appreciate them just as much as the ones we will be able to use.

Wine and a gc is a lovely gift, don’t overthink it. And, if what you say about your son is true, there’s always this ⬇Face With Tears Of Joy
Face With Tears Of Joy Face With Tears Of Joy Face With Tears Of Joy Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1797 posts
461 upvotes
Woodbridge
Oh man, @jerrysiz that's hilarious!

I had a similar note written on an LCBO gift card but never a custom label like that.
Oct 17, 2013
128 posts
66 upvotes
Ontario
kgvaughan wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 12:13 pm

Wine and GC is more than enough, and yes, appropriate, especially if you know the teacher. I give my kids' teachers gift cards to the LCBO and they are well received. All of the teachers I work with enjoy wine and GCs as well and joke about renting a UHaul to drive it all home. I tell my students I don't expect gifts, but a hand written and personalized card is kept forever. However, a thoughtful gift is always appreciated. As an example, at some point this past year, one of my students overheard that I love Polish donuts (my country of origin) and I can never buy them because we live in a very rural area. Just yesterday, after a regular visit to the GTA, she gave me a box of paczki, 8 donuts in total. Not expensive at all, but so thoughtful and from the heart!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10039 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
Mall gift card or Amazon. My teacher friend said they are most appreciated.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1259 posts
339 upvotes
Ottawa
at1212b wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 8:00 pm
Mall gift card or Amazon. My teacher friend said they are most appreciated.
Keep in mind (at least for Ontario), that mall gift cards are not protected by consumer laws that prevents store gift cards from having expiry dates and fees.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1651 posts
487 upvotes
Winnipeg
jerrysiz wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 7:32 pm
On a lighter note, under no circumstances should you purchase lingerie as a teacher gift unless you want to be the talk of the staff room for years to come (true story).
earthygoat wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 8:30 pm
Or a musical instrument shaped as a member of the male anatomy (true story as well).
On a further lighter note, great ideas. Some other ones -
  • A book on how to tutor kids
  • Membership to a weight loss program
  • Deodorant kit
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1919 posts
506 upvotes
As a teacher please don't give me any gifts. Kids ask me what kinds of things I like and I always tell them to spend their money taking their parents out for a doughnut or do something like mini golf etc. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable to receive a gift card from a family that I know has much less money than I. The greatest gift I've ever received from a student was one where she hand made a book that chronicled the things we did that year that meant something to her. We teachers do not need to be receiving money. Any that tell you otherwise need to reevaluate their spending habits and ultimately give their head a shake.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7605 posts
993 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 9:06 am
As a teacher please don't give me any gifts. Kids ask me what kinds of things I like and I always tell them to spend their money taking their parents out for a doughnut or do something like mini golf etc. It makes me feel extremely uncomfortable to receive a gift card from a family that I know has much less money than I. The greatest gift I've ever received from a student was one where she hand made a book that chronicled the things we did that year that meant something to her. We teachers do not need to be receiving money. Any that tell you otherwise need to reevaluate their spending habits and ultimately give their head a shake.
Admire your principle.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1919 posts
506 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 12:53 pm
Admire your principle.
I appreciate the sentiment but it's sad that this attitude is to be 'admired'. I don't need money gifts from less wealthy kids as I go off on an 8 week vacation.

If you feel like you really appreciate your child's teacher, help them write a letter, or make something. I don't even remember who gave me what gift card, but I remember really kind words kids have written me, or gifts that they made that showed how much effort they put into it. I had one little girl make me a candle, another young boy made me a school bag to carry me things, another bought a mug from walmart and decorated it. Will I keep these things forever? Very unlikely, but I will always remember them and the student that made them for me. Teachers can buy their own damn coffee and booze.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1777 posts
647 upvotes
Victoria
tim-x wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 9:06 am
I understand where you’re coming from but giving small gifts as a token of appreciation is part of our society, whether it’s a small gift for my kids teacher or a small gift at Christmas time for a family member even if they make more money than me.

However, our culture also accepts people who disagree. “Giving the head a shake” seems a bit excessive though.