Quebec

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming informations about heating issue

Hi

I need informations about this board
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=115064
Some people have heating VRM issue with it

Still a good price....
A good buy?
In my opinion, every intervention in RFD deserve a "thanks". Thanks given until now: more than 100,000

Giving "Likes" gives cancer.... Don't do it!!!!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
VRM heating issue usually related to overclocking. Overclocking demands more current from VRM thus more heat.

Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
isrdum wrote: Hi

I need informations about this board
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=115064
Some people have heating VRM issue with it

Still a good price....
A good buy?
First, for the feature set, it is an okay buy.

Here is a basic VRM Tier list for z370. http://www.overclock.net/forum/attachme ... ntid=99753

as you can see Ultra Gaming is considered Entry level/Bottom tier.

When it comes to VRM, the capability of each motherboard is super straightforward. They all use the same phases and IC. There isn't anything they can hide, as far as rated power, it is a basic math.

As for "Sub 150W". Generally that equal to roughly 1.315v on a 8700k. Any higher and VRM is being stressed out of safe spec. It doesn't mean it is unsafe, but it has the potential for failure. Like increasing the heat on the VRM.

As for the heat on the VRM for this particular board, this video below has a relatively simple fix, it demonstrated on a different motherboard, but the same fix applies to Ultra Gaming, Gaming Wifi, 2.0, even Gaming 5 and Gaming 7. They all have exactly the same VRM heatsink design and the same flaw with the little plastic ring right underneath the screw of the VRM heatsink creating unnecessary clearance.

Which largely resolved the problem. My 8700k running at 1.37v went down from 126c (!!) on the VRM to 90c~ on Prime95 26.6 / Real Bench Stress test.

Overall, I wouldn't try and save $50 If I am going to pair this up with a top of the line 8700k and planning on OC with AIO, but if you are just using it for a 8600k with sub 1.3v overclocking, I think it will be fine. So it depends on what you are using it for, how much you plan on pushing the overclock, etc.

Keep in mind, anything over 1.35 will likely need an AIO cooler or custom Waterloop. The six core cpu generates A LOT of heat.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
A few things you can do to cool down VRMs on mobos even if the VRM isn't high-end/top notch:
1. If there are no VRM heatsinks...well add them, lol. However if there aren't any then you're typically stuck with having to use thermal tape/adhesive so the sink will stay in place, which is okay but keep in mind there's not going to be any pressure.

2. If there are sinks but they are secured with lame plastic push-pins, remove the push pins and replace with small nylon screws and nuts (you can get these from Home Depot, etc.). Tighten them down snug (don't overdo it or you'll either put too much pressure on them or you'll snap the screws). This way you get better mounting pressure between the sink, the thermal pads, and the FETs.

3. Thirdly, if possible, see if you can aim/position a fan to blow air over the sinks for added cooling.

The above things can actually dramatically reduce VRM temps so even a low-rent VRM has a chance at long lifespan and good performance.

If you're not doing crazy OCing you shouldn't have a problem.