Shopping Discussion

Gillette Fusion blades. Do they ever go on sale?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2016 7:12 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Gillette Fusion blades. Do they ever go on sale?

I retired my old Trac II a few months ago and went high tech, the Gillette Fusion, or Trac 5 as I call it. A great blade and shaves much closer than the Trac II.
Now I'm on to my last blade from my original purchase and I'm finding these blades are damned expensive, averaging about $5 each. Over the past few weeks I've been checking stores and flyers and still haven't seen them on sale. Superstore, Shoppers Drug, London Drugs, etc. No luck at all.
You men that have been using them, have you found them to go on sale?

I don't need an answer too quick, but within a couple of weeks my S. O. will be complaining.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
18 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Real RFD'ers go DE or full-hipster. I've seen brand new DE's go for less than 3 of Gilette's latest "super fusion premium quad cut supercharged lubed 2.0" blades..or wjhatever they're marketing to the masses these days.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
SDM puts the 8 packs on sale for $29.99 and the 4 packs go as low as $19.99, so you'll just have to watch the flyer every week until that happens. Then when you see the price you like, wait for a good personal offer, then buy.

SDM also did a recent mailout with lucrative coupons for Fusion fans ($5 and $12), so it is worth it to be on their mailing list (by buying the product at SDM). Also they have a coupon for 8k points WUB Fusion blades that may pop up for you after you buy, and it works if you buy the product through a redemption.

Lots of reasons to shop for this at SDM.
Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
Dollar shave club works for me.

I've never seen any benefit to the overpriced blades from the national brands, they work but the cost is insane and really isn't justified for what the product is.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
JustinL733617 wrote: Dollar shave club works for me.

I've never seen any benefit to the overpriced blades from the national brands, they work but the cost is insane and really isn't justified for what the product is.
Fusion at 8/$30 is only $3.75/month though - you can only get a twin blade for that at DSC.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
I gave DE shaving a good and long try but found it could not match the shave I got with the Fusion Pro Glide.

If you want to go cheap without having to do DE check out Harry's or Dollar shave
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
blexann wrote: I gave DE shaving a good and long try but found it could not match the shave I got with the Fusion Pro Glide.

If you want to go cheap without having to do DE check out Harry's or Dollar shave
Try the Muehle R49 (I think that's the number?) razor. It's the most aggressive DE razor so gives a closer shave.
Apr 13, 2010
659 posts
424 upvotes
Napanee, ON
Cas77 wrote: Real RFD'ers go DE or full-hipster.
A couple of my friends went double-edge and were talking it up. I eventually bit. I did it more for the cost savings, but I get a baby-smooth shave too.

I bought a Merkur 34C for around $50CDN on Amazon. As long as you don't throw it against a wall, it'll last a lifetime. I also bought 100 Astra blades for about $15. I go through maybe one blade a week.

The brush and soap I first bought at Shoppers, but there are tons of options online too.

A friend of mine made a quick video on how to shave, for anyone getting started. The first shave is always slow. It probably took me 45 minutes. But I'm down to 10 minutes now.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote:

Fusion at 8/$30 is only $3.75/month though - you can only get a twin blade for that at DSC.
You change new blade every month, right? I used to until the Fusion Power is too expensive to change monthly. I now change every 2 months and last 2 weeks of the blade is usually blunt like f.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Jun 21, 2016
283 posts
91 upvotes
I use more then 1 cartridge per month.

lecale wrote:

Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
JustinL733617 wrote: I use more then 1 cartridge per month.

lecale wrote:

I've dragged some blades out to three months, but then I only shave every second day.

From the looks of it, I'll check out SDM. A trip to Walmart though would be foolish this time of year, back to school insanity.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
poleman wrote:
JustinL733617 wrote: I use more then 1 cartridge per month.

lecale wrote:

I've dragged some blades out to three months, but then I only shave every second day.

From the looks of it, I'll check out SDM. A trip to Walmart though would be foolish this time of year, back to school insanity.
The SDM flyer starting this Saturday August 27 has the 8-pack Gillette Fusion on for $29.99 so wait until the weekend!
Aug 26, 2014
224 posts
249 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Gillette profusion is by far my favorite razor, right when they released the profusion shield there were a bunch of $4 off coupons that you could get off the coupon board at RCSS, RCSS was clearing out the older fusions, they were anywhere from $5 to $6 and had the proshields as well on sale for $7 I guess to get people to try them. Minus the $4 coupon and then you get this

I only paid $1 to $3 each, I cleared out a few RCSS, I'm thinking i have close to a lifetime supply
I bought a wide assortment of them (proglide, fusion, proshield) , each package had 2 to 3 refill cartridges.

Anyways costco carries the refills I think it $60 for 16 cartridges, might be your best bet.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Fluke3355 wrote: Gillette profusion is by far my favorite razor, right when they released the profusion shield there were a bunch of $4 off coupons that you could get off the coupon board at RCSS, RCSS was clearing out the older fusions, they were anywhere from $5 to $6 and had the proshields as well on sale for $7 I guess to get people to try them. Minus the $4 coupon and then you get this

I only paid $1 to $3 each, I cleared out a few RCSS, I'm thinking i have close to a lifetime supply
I bought a wide assortment of them (proglide, fusion, proshield) , each package had 2 to 3 refill cartridges.

Anyways costco carries the refills I think it $60 for 16 cartridges, might be your best bet.
WTF, those are all yours? No wonder there aren't any left in western CanadaSmiling Face With Horns

Anyways, those of you that use the 5-blade Fusion, did you know there is a 6th blade on it? Yup, on the edge, no doubt for those hard to reach spots. I discovered it about one or two blades ago.Electric Light Bulb

And thanks for the SDM flyer alert!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2006
1855 posts
340 upvotes
Fluke3355 wrote: Gillette profusion is by far my favorite razor, right when they released the profusion shield there were a bunch of $4 off coupons that you could get off the coupon board at RCSS, RCSS was clearing out the older fusions, they were anywhere from $5 to $6 and had the proshields as well on sale for $7 I guess to get people to try them. Minus the $4 coupon and then you get this

Your my new hero.
Opinions posted are that of my own and do not reflect that of any organization.

GTA AYCE Sushi Guide

What is a marriage if not an opportunity to mock someone through thick and thin while simultaneously exploring your deepest, darkest sexual desires - Californication.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
poleman wrote: And thanks for the SDM flyer alert!
I'm quoting the Ontario flyer though - just realized you are out west. So YMMV.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2016
1006 posts
1243 upvotes
Best to buy the "gift sets" Shoppers Drugmart the day after Christmas (boxing day). Gift sets come with about 4 blades (1 on actual stick and 3 refill cartridges) along with shaving cream and body wash. On sale on boxing day, they are usually discounted by 50% so it's like $10-$12. Picked up a few gift sets from SDM over the past two years on boxing day. My wife also picked up the womens Schick shaving kits - those replacement blades are so expensive, but a huge steal on boxing day via those kits.
Aug 26, 2014
224 posts
249 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ricenice wrote:

Your my new hero.
HAHA thanks, that's only one small part of my stockpile, don't even get me started with stockpile of paper towels, laundry soap, and everything else
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I took a walk through Costco the other day and discovered they had Fusion blades. I think there were 18 in the pack for about $64.00 At bit of money to put out but at two months per blade, that would last me three years.