• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 11:13 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes

Gimbal for Sony RX100 M5

I need some recommendations for a gimbal for the sony RX100 M5 that I can also attach a powerbank to use as a battery as well. I considered the Zhiyun Crane m however there seems to be a big issue with using it in inverted mode with it hitting the camera and also there is a weight limit of about 640grams. The camera weighs 299grams + a powerbank of between 250g to 350g puts me near or right at the weight limit. I would assume that this puts a lot of stress on the motor leading to it wearing down sooner. Also there is the issue with how to attach the powerbank to the gimbal as well. Lastly I would like in the future to get a mirrorless camera as well with some interchangable lenses which I think may present a problem with the weight limit of this gimbal. This is making me consider alternatives.

Does anyone have any suggestions chip in if they are currently using the crane m with a sony rx100 camera?
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3811 posts
381 upvotes
pilotfly c45 would be your best candidate for P&S...although I don't find that brand in general very reliable esp if you need support

I have the crane M for my a6500 but I'm waiting for the release of the Ronin-S

forget the power bank...cute idea but not practical
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1464 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I use a Zhiyun Crane v2 with a Manfrotto 323 adapter with my RX100 m5 and it works just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:25 pm
pilotfly c45 would be your best candidate for P&S...although I don't find that brand in general very reliable esp if you need support

I ended up getting the crane m. I found a really good deal for it for alittle over $300 CAD brand new. I was really considering the crane v2 but the retailer never had stock. All the local retailers here charge like $600 for it. I considered the pilotfly gimbal but the cost didn't justify it, and also the battery life is only 6 hours compared to the crane m's 12 hours.

Why do you say the powerbank's not practical? The RX100 V only gives you about an hour worth of shooting time using the official sony batteries. The official batteries from sony cost $70. Third party batteries like the wasabi I read on amazon don't seem to work really well with it and you get something like 7-8 minutes of recording time. With a powerbank, I'm looking at least 7-10 hours of recording time without needing to take off the camera from the gimbal to swap out the battery if I need to charge batteries and then rebalance it again. I'm gonna try using my old powerbank (4000mAH) which should give me about 4-5 hours of recording time and mounting it on the gimbal once I receive it to test out how well this works. Worse case scenario, I can pop the powerbank into my pocket and I use a really long cable to supply the power to the camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
Broli's Mom wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 5:24 am
I use a Zhiyun Crane v2 with a Manfrotto 323 adapter with my RX100 m5 and it works just fine.
I really wanted to get the crane v2 but couldn't find any good deals on it. The cheapest was from eglobal at 378 USD but there was never any stock.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3811 posts
381 upvotes
7-10 hours??
how come you didn't get like a gh5
rx100 is more for travel/vlogs, not meant for serious work over a long duration...I take it you know about overheating in sucha tiny body right?
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 1:14 am
7-10 hours??
how come you didn't get like a gh5
rx100 is more for travel/vlogs, not meant for serious work over a long duration...I take it you know about overheating in sucha tiny body right?
The autofocus on panasonic cameras are atrocious which was why I opted for a sony. Even the newer GH5S's autofocus isn't that great. Plus the GH5 is more then double the price of the sony Rx100. I'm on a limited budget :)

Yup, I realize that. I'm buying the camera for my trip to vietnam soon so I need something small and compact for vlogging and shooting youtube videos. As for the overheating issue, I plan on shooting in 1080P and in short durations of not more then 1-2 minutes so I don't think it will be an issue.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3409 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
wolf30 wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 3:28 am
Yup, I realize that. I'm buying the camera for my trip to vietnam soon so I need something small and compact for vlogging and shooting youtube videos. As for the overheating issue, I plan on shooting in 1080P and in short durations of not more then 1-2 minutes so I don't think it will be an issue.
If you're only shooting short durations then why the need for a power bank? Is it hard to swap out the batteries when the camera is on the gimbal?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3811 posts
381 upvotes
look at the Vivitar batteries
I was able to get them for two with a charger for 30 usd way back in like 2015
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4794 posts
253 upvotes
wolf30 wrote:
May 1st, 2018 6:49 pm
I ended up getting the crane m. I found a really good deal for it for alittle over $300 CAD brand new. I was really considering the crane v2 but the retailer never had stock. All the local retailers here charge like $600 for it. I considered the pilotfly gimbal but the cost didn't justify it, and also the battery life is only 6 hours compared to the crane m's 12 hours.

Why do you say the powerbank's not practical? The RX100 V only gives you about an hour worth of shooting time using the official sony batteries. The official batteries from sony cost $70. Third party batteries like the wasabi I read on amazon don't seem to work really well with it and you get something like 7-8 minutes of recording time. With a powerbank, I'm looking at least 7-10 hours of recording time without needing to take off the camera from the gimbal to swap out the battery if I need to charge batteries and then rebalance it again. I'm gonna try using my old powerbank (4000mAH) which should give me about 4-5 hours of recording time and mounting it on the gimbal once I receive it to test out how well this works. Worse case scenario, I can pop the powerbank into my pocket and I use a really long cable to supply the power to the camera.
Damn only $300?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 10:38 am
If you're only shooting short durations then why the need for a power bank? Is it hard to swap out the batteries when the camera is on the gimbal?
Because I'm gonna be shooting for at least a few hours. Each clip will be between 5-10 seconds unless I'm interviewing people and then I will combine it in a long video. Having 1hr of battery life ain't gonna cut it, plus I don't want to be carrying around 3-4 batteries everytime I want to go film. I want to keep things light.

Yes, the battery compartment is located underneath the camera, and the gimbal blocks it once it is mounted therefore you can't access it. Each time you take off the camera, I believe you need to rebalance it again, although I'm not 100% sure yet as I didn't receive my gimbal yet but the videos and comments I saw online mentions it though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1457 posts
74 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 12:06 pm
look at the Vivitar batteries
I was able to get them for two with a charger for 30 usd way back in like 2015
How much battery life do you get outta them when filming on the RX100?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3811 posts
381 upvotes
dunno...only record few minutes each time, they do seem to drain fast in video mode, but not any faster than the Sony's if I can be subjective
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3583 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:25 pm

Have you looked into the Tilta G2X?

I've been debating between it and the Ronin S.