• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2017 10:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1569 posts
101 upvotes

Girl thinking of getting PS4 - looking for game recs

Hi, first off I am not a gamer so my knowledge is very limited in this field. PS3 was my first console ever and I let that go as a part of moving sale, but now I am thinking of getting a console again and looking for game recommendations. Aside from the uncharted series my favourite game was probably Heavy Rain-- basically a good/emotional storyline is a big plus for me lol. I also enjoyed playing the god of war series. So far I have Uncharted 4, the Last of Us, and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn on my list of games to get.. Do you guys have any other recs? Thanks for your help :)
31 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
If it's storyline and narrative you're looking for on PS4, try the Telltale games, Life is Strange, Firewatch...
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7067 posts
390 upvotes
Until Dawn probably a good choice as well
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6037 posts
1319 upvotes
Women tend to like games with good story in addition to gameplay:

Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
Final Fantasy X HD remastered (changing the music to the Original score instead of the Rearranged music in the options would be my recommendation)
Tales of Berseria
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Until Dawn (similar to Heavy Rain)
Nier Automata
Rise of the Tomb Raider (average story but female lead character)
The Witcher 3 (combat system is a weak point but it has excellent story and production values. It has a lot of sex and nudity though like Game of Thrones)
Skyrim Special Edition
Heavy Rain

Local multiplayer:
Overcooked

I have not finished Final Fantasy XV yet so I can't recommend it yet.
I prefer Final Fantasy X HD and Tales of Berseria over XV from what I have played so far.

Upcoming games:
Persona 5

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 25th, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1569 posts
101 upvotes
Thanks everyone for great suggestions!! All this shall keep me entertained for a while
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1364 posts
684 upvotes
Windsor
Persona 5, probably the only reason to turn on my ps4 pro again.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14319 posts
3166 upvotes
I've played teams with lots of women players in Destiny...
May 9, 2007
846 posts
223 upvotes
Why is Xfactor recommending games for women? Is the OP a woman? If so women tend to like games where they can be social and collect things. Just like in real life. I buy most of my games used (hey gotta save money on this expensive hobby somehow) and I came across at least 3 sellers that were women. The games I bought from them were Doom, The Division and God of War. Make of that as you will.

Aside from the games already mentioned, RPGs tend to be story driven. I know a girl that really loves World of Final Fantasy because you get to collect cute little creatures Pokemon style. Other recommendations:

-Persona series
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Dragon Quest Builders
-Mortal Kombat
-Grand Theft Auto V
-Warframe

In terms of emotion the following brought the feels:

The Last of Us
Horizon Zero Dawn
Valiant Hearts
Inside
The Walking Dead
Life is Strange
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1 (maybe?)
Bioshock: Infinite + Burial at Sea DLC
Mass Effect 3
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Metal Gear Solid series
Journey and Flower
Silent Hill
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
The Last Guardian
Tearaway
R&C Tools of Destruction
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6037 posts
1319 upvotes
The topic creator wrote the title "Girl thinking of getting PS4 - looking for game recs" and the contents of the message seems to imply that the poster is female.
I am not a woman.

Most of the female gamers that play core video games and not garbage mobile ones that I know tend to play RPGs or Nintendo multiplayer games.
Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World are popular local multiplayer games.

If not RPGS they also tend to play games with good story and games that tend to be easier to play.

Bryson wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 12:34 am
Why is Xfactor recommending games for women? Is the OP a woman? If so women tend to like games where they can be social and collect things. Just like in real life. I buy most of my games used (hey gotta save money on this expensive hobby somehow) and I came across at least 3 sellers that were women. The games I bought from them were Doom, The Division and God of War. Make of that as you will.

Aside from the games already mentioned, RPGs tend to be story driven. I know a girl that really loves World of Final Fantasy because you get to collect cute little creatures Pokemon style. Other recommendations:

-Persona series
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Dragon Quest Builders
-Mortal Kombat
-Grand Theft Auto V
-Warframe

In terms of emotion the following brought the feels:

The Last of Us
Horizon Zero Dawn
Valiant Hearts
Inside
The Walking Dead
Life is Strange
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1 (maybe?)
Bioshock: Infinite + Burial at Sea DLC
Mass Effect 3
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Metal Gear Solid series
Journey and Flower
Silent Hill
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
The Last Guardian
Tearaway
R&C Tools of Destruction
May 9, 2007
846 posts
223 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 1:18 am
The topic creator wrote the title "Girl thinking of getting PS4 - looking for game recs" and the contents of the message seems to imply that the poster is female.
I am not a woman.

Most of the female gamers that play core video games and not garbage mobile ones that I know tend to play RPGs or Nintendo multiplayer games.
Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World are popular local multiplayer games.

If not RPGS they also tend to play games with good story and games that tend to be easier to play.

Oh I'm not pointing the finger or anything. I was legitimately wondering where the OP mentioned she was a girl. I guess that's what I get for not reading the thread title lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3869 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
"Life is Strange"

You will love the game. A total emotional roller coaster. It starts off slow but picks up toward end of episode one.

Heavy Rain was also my favourite PS3 game but Life is Strange topped it.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1682 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Sony first party titles are usually the best for strong storylines. They are also good for people that play games here and there. You made some good choices with Uncharted 4, The Last of Us and Horizon: Zero Dawn. As another poster mentioned Until Dawn is also good.

I would be hesitant to recommend JRPGs. They have good gameplay mechanics, but the story and presentation is not for everyone. I would recommend you watching videos of Final Fantasy 15 and Persona 5 on YouTube first.

There are also Western RPGs such as The Witcher 3 and Skyrim: Special Edition could appeal to you. But I would recommend seeing some gameplay videos first.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1569 posts
101 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 12:34 am
women tend to like games where they can be social and collect things. Just like in real life. Aside from the games already mentioned, RPGs tend to be story driven. I know a girl that really loves World of Final Fantasy because you get to collect cute little creatures Pokemon style.
Yes I'm a girl, but I'm not really into collecting cute little pokemon style creatures.. your "feels" recommendations definitely seem to be up my alley though, thx!
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 11:26 am

I would be hesitant to recommend JRPGs. They have good gameplay mechanics, but the story and presentation is not for everyone. I would recommend you watching videos of Final Fantasy 15 and Persona 5 on YouTube first.

There are also Western RPGs such as The Witcher 3 and Skyrim: Special Edition could appeal to you. But I would recommend seeing some gameplay videos first.
I think you are very correct when you say the story and the presentation is not for everyone - I looked up some YT videos of Final Fantasy 15/World of Final Fantasy/Persona 5 and they didn't really draw me in - maybe I am being too quick to judge/ superficial but... yeah. not really my style haha

I've made note of all the games you guys mentioned, really excited for Life is Strange in particular... it will be up next after I get through the last of us and uncharted 4. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9885 posts
912 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 7:54 pm
I've played teams with lots of women players in Destiny...
Probably better to wait for Destiny 2.

This game had one of the best communities I've ever experienced. Lots of players focus on teamwork rather than crapping on each other. It was very woman friendly as well. Many were patient with noobs and people who couldn't get past certain parts. Some guys I played with came from previous games, but the majority were met in RFD and Destiny. Some of us still play with each other far beyond Destiny into other various games. Definitely a top pick if OP wants to get into multiplayer.