• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2017 12:04 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
583 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Giving imei of iphone before sale

I am selling a new iphone 7. The buyer is asking about imei before meeting. Is there any concern giving imei number before sale?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
Tell them they can verify imei in person.
xcel wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 7:19 pm
I am selling a new iphone 7. The buyer is asking about imei before meeting. Is there any concern giving imei number before sale?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 17, 2013
38 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
they use it to check that the phone is not bricked....you can report your iPhone stolen and it can be bricked by apple. there is absolutely no harm to you and benefit to both parties to be truthful and provide this information.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
2347 posts
933 upvotes
Vancouver
No concerns.

I would want the IMEI to check the Activation Lock status too.
Mar 22, 2013
902 posts
203 upvotes
Markham
I don't give it out. The buyer can check all he wants when we meet in person. I've always done that but there were a couple of times where the buyer thought I was too shady lol.
====================================

Samsung S8+ (Black)

Koodo Mobile
$55 Unlimited Canada-wide
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)
1000 Intl LD minutes, 8 GB Plan

====================================
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16318 posts
1077 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don't give it out if you don't trust me look elsewhere.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
583 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bembol wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 8:54 pm
The main question is, what is the risk? Can someone report it stolen by just having imei number? Can someone duplicate imei?
Feb 27, 2014
280 posts
38 upvotes
xcel wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 7:19 pm
If the buyer has not "agreed" to a price, accept the condition of the phone, what is the point of checking/giving out imei? Even if the others said there is no harm giving it out, it doesn't feel good giving out that "personal identifier" and the buyer said sorry no longer interested or never bother to reply anymore after receiving the imei. So the others are right, do not give the imei out prior to meeting, tell the buyer, if buyer is interested in buying, agreed to the selling price, then buyer can check the imei during the meeting.
Feb 27, 2014
280 posts
38 upvotes
xcel wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 9:25 pm
The main question is, what is the risk? Can someone report it stolen by just having imei number? Can someone duplicate imei?
Risk in giving out IMEI
1. Activate a phone using your IMEI
2. Clone a phone using your IMEI
Last edited by kaliman on Jan 18th, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6982 posts
972 upvotes
Very easy to blacklist a phone
Buy a Virgin prepaid sim, activate online using the imei I just got, report stolen the following day, phone will be on the blacklist the day after.

Why would someone do that? Cause some people are messed up like that.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25414 posts
2755 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Damn

I always assumed the risk of giving out the IMEI was zero.

It's gotten to a point where it is pointless to even bother. Why go through all this hassle to buy a phone on Kijiji to save a few dollars.
Feb 27, 2014
280 posts
38 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 8:54 pm
Trust... that's a good point. If the buyer do not trust the seller, he needs to look elsewhere. All cell phone buyers are at the "mercy" of the seller. The seller, if he is not happy (pissed) with the buyer's lack of trust in him or viewed his insistence on checking the IMEI prior to the sale as rude, can simply report the phone as lost after the sale just to make life miserable for the buyer.