Off Topic Archive

Locked: Giving money for a wedding gift - cash or cheque?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2010 4:31 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2008
722 posts
12 upvotes

Giving money for a wedding gift - cash or cheque?

So next weekend I'm attending a South Asian wedding - the card says no boxed gifts, so obviously money is what everyone is giving.

When you've given money for a wedding gift, do you write a cheque, or give cash?

Is it considered tacky to give cash, and classier to write a cheque? Or would the couple consider the cheque a hassle, since they must go to the bank to deposit it, and cash is just easier?

I'd prefer this not to turn into a "asking for money is tacky" thread, I'd just like to hear your opinions on what is better (cash or cheque) and what you've done. Also the perspectives of anyone here who asked for money on their wedding would be great - did you prefer cash or cheques?

Thanks in advance.
Share:
69 replies
Banned
Jul 11, 2008
826 posts
4 upvotes
ahujie wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 7:46 pm
So next weekend I'm attending a South Asian wedding - the card says no boxed gifts, so obviously money is what everyone is giving.

When you've given money for a wedding gift, do you write a cheque, or give cash?

Is it considered tacky to give cash, and classier to write a cheque? Or would the couple consider the cheque a hassle, since they must go to the bank to deposit it, and cash is just easier?

I'd prefer this not to turn into a "asking for money is tacky" thread, I'd just like to hear your opinions on what is better (cash or cheque) and what you've done. Also the perspectives of anyone here who asked for money on their wedding would be great - did you prefer cash or cheques?

Thanks in advance.

Just put cash in the card. I don't think they will care if it's cash or a cheque. Bhangra away!
Nov 17, 2008
37 posts
GTA
ahujie wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks in advance.

I prefer to give the cheque as it provides security and also helps you remember what you gave for the ref..
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1861 posts
9 upvotes
cant stress enough.. ALWAYS CHEQUE!!!

as others said, there is no security with cash, no reference, no history for you or the wedding guests to track your gift.

you dont want them to hate you for life if anything happens and your cash goes missing :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
cheque...
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23267 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
If you're attending the wedding in person, then CASH.
If you're NOT attending the wedding and the wedding is somewhere that you can not attend, then cheque.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3614 posts
324 upvotes
Put the cheque in a big box and see the reaction.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
43 upvotes
Cash.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2007
4200 posts
58 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cash. I go to the bank and usually get a brand new $100 or more crisp new bills. Write in the card what you are giving them so they know that you gave them something :P.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
My Flickr

Top Tier Imports
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34248 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
Check!
The last wedding I went too... I gave an envelope full of crispy red $50's... Its a Chinese thing :D
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1823 posts
1 upvote
faken wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 9:55 pm
Cash. I go to the bank and usually get a brand new $100 or more crisp new bills. Write in the card what you are giving them so they know that you gave them something :P.
Always cheques. Thieves have been known to stake out wedding halls and steal the box of cash. I haven't heard of this in the news in a while, but it was in the news some time ago. They were targeting Italian and Portuguese weddings, due to the high number of guests and large cash donations.

You can always write a new cheque.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1424 upvotes
Pickering
I actually have given money orders with their names on it. It for most people is the first time they will see their names written together. I don't know what the people are expecting, but I usually drop $800, so nobody complains anyway.
Jun 26, 2010
316 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
CASH

why would you want the poor couple to have to give 25% away to the government, great gift that would make.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1861 posts
9 upvotes
sleepmode wrote:
Jun 27th, 2010 11:54 pm
CASH

why would you want the poor couple to have to give 25% away to the government, great gift that would make.
???
When have you cashed a $100 cheque and only pocketed $75?
× < >