• Apr 5th, 2010 2:11 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver

Glasses Adjustments

So I recently got a pair of free glasses from the ClearlyContacts giveaway, and I'm actually quite happy with them. They fit almost perfectly, but I feel like they're the tiniest bit loose. They occasionally slide down my nose a bit.

So I was wondering, is there anywhere that will adjust the tightness of them for free? I just bought a rather expensive pair from IRIS, so I'm sure if I went back to the same people, they'd be happy to adjust these ones for me. But their location isn't terribly convenient for me, so...

Does anywhere do this? I know some people do these things themselves, but I'd rather get it done properly.
16 replies
Dec 24, 2009
188 posts
1 upvote
While I was driving my lense popped out of my frames. I just stopped into the nearest optical store (i think it was hakim optical) and the lady in there fixed it up for free.

Small stuff like that may make a customer return for more business i guess.
Jan 5, 2006
606 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
cih wrote: While I was driving my lense popped out of my frames. I just stopped into the nearest optical store (i think it was hakim optical) and the lady in there fixed it up for free.

Small stuff like that may make a customer return for more business i guess.
+1.. Try any place.. I am sure they would fix it for free.
Mar 5, 2009
201 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
As others have said, if you drop by a place, they likely will help, but I would advise going in at a time when business is otherwise dead.

The service is formally extended to customers only; when you purchase glasses and are fitted for them, the optician will say you can return anytime for help with them, but this is not something they post out in the store for everyone.

You would be, after all, taking their time and service without having become their client, so they may not want to bother with you if the place is busy with other clients who have previously paid/are considering paying them (trying their glasses).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
65 upvotes
Ottawa
In Ottawa there is a Laurier Optical in Kanata that advertises they will do glasses adjustments for free whether you got them there or not, and whether you intend to buy new ones or not. I hear lenscrafters works the same way.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
I regularily walk into Lens Crafters to have my glasses adjusted (arms, nose pads, whatever). I didn't buy my glasses there and they've never given me a problem. They will warn you that if they break them during the adjustment they will not take responsibility.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal
Good for you guys! I was in Champlain Mall Iris few years back, my lens popped out the frame and I asked if they can help me (little screw got loose).

They told me they will do for that time only and told me to bring it bace where I bought them for service.

I will never set foot there again and buy anything from them ever!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
emmafb wrote: Good for you guys! I was in Champlain Mall Iris few years back, my lens popped out the frame and I asked if they can help me (little screw got loose).

They told me they will do for that time only and told me to bring it bace where I bought them for service.

I will never set foot there again and buy anything from them ever!
Who excatly is they/there/them?

It would seem obvious to me that if your lens pops out you SHOULD bring it back to the store you bought the glasses at for repair. Why would another store do a free repair for something they didn't sell? A small adjustment here and there, sure but putting a lens back in?
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote: I regularily walk into Lens Crafters to have my glasses adjusted (arms, nose pads, whatever). I didn't buy my glasses there and they've never given me a problem. They will warn you that if they break them during the adjustment they will not take responsibility.
Good to know - they're more convenient for me to get to, so I'll try taking them there.

While I would understand completely if a business did not want to offer these services to non-clients, it seems a good chance to get people in your store. And if they're happy with the service provided, they might just consider shopping there.

Just my opinion, of course.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2009
1275 posts
12 upvotes
On the older glasses, a lens popping out just means a single screw is loose...not a big "repair" I suppose?
amz155 wrote: Who excatly is they/there/them?

It would seem obvious to me that if your lens pops out you SHOULD bring it back to the store you bought the glasses at for repair. Why would another store do a free repair for something they didn't sell? A small adjustment here and there, sure but putting a lens back in?
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Heavenguard wrote: As others have said, if you drop by a place, they likely will help, but I would advise going in at a time when business is otherwise dead.
Probably a good idea. Understandably, I'm not their first priority in busier hours.
Jan 1, 2008
576 posts
229 upvotes
Brossard
Iris is a a store in Champlain Mall in Brossard, QC.
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
A quick update...

Took them to Lenscrafters in Oakridge Mall. They told me that it would be done at my own risk (understandably), and that it's by donation. And as I understood it, not to a charity but to them.

I just found having a large, multi-million dollar company telling me they perform a service "by donation" to be just too strange. I went to leave, and on the way out passed "Luxury Eyewear." I asked them about it, and they adjusted them without any weird catches.

The end.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1135 upvotes
Montreal

Yes, I would have to drive 30 minutes to where I bought the glasses with one lens. It only need to tighten that loose screw.
djherbal1 wrote: Iris is a a store in Champlain Mall in Brossard, QC.
Thanks for clarify this.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
valdore93 wrote: A quick update...

Took them to Lenscrafters in Oakridge Mall. They told me that it would be done at my own risk (understandably), and that it's by donation. And as I understood it, not to a charity but to them.

I just found having a large, multi-million dollar company telling me they perform a service "by donation" to be just too strange. I went to leave, and on the way out passed "Luxury Eyewear." I asked them about it, and they adjusted them without any weird catches.

The end.
Wierd. Maybe this is a new policy? I've never been asked to "donate" in exchange for them adjusting my glasses.
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
amz155 wrote: Wierd. Maybe this is a new policy? I've never been asked to "donate" in exchange for them adjusting my glasses.
"Weird" really is the only word with which to describe this.

Perhaps, I suppose, the woman may have mis-explained their policy on this? But then, I don't really know what sort of confusion there could be on this.

As far as I'm concerned, either charge or don't charge. I probably would've paid if they'd just been straightforward and given me a price for the adjustments.

[BTW: She said that only applies to glasses bought elsewhere. As per the standard, any glasses bought from them come with a lifetime of free adjustments.]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
angekfire wrote: In Ottawa there is a Laurier Optical in Kanata that advertises they will do glasses adjustments for free whether you got them there or not, and whether you intend to buy new ones or not. I hear lenscrafters works the same way.
The rideau centre store has gotten lame lately :mad:
I brought in a pair of eyeglasses for new eye pads and an adjustment and the "kid" there charged me $5.
And I am actually a customer at that location and have spent thousands of dollars there at that actual location.

I am still, maybe going to get glasses there as I have not seen any frames I really liked at their other stores.
Laurier lost all my businessfor contact lenses though..making me wait 3 months for items and trying to make me buy accuvue because they make more money on that.
The salespeople there even went ahead and ordered that brand for me after I specifically said I CAN NOT use accuvue, can not see with them and they fall out ofmy eyes (fit was not good w that brand for me).

Maybe that location is really desperate for money,lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)