None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2186 posts
208 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Glasses at costco. how much are lenses?

My wife refuses to buy frames she can't physically try on. So all the online places are out. Trying to find alternatives to Lenscrafters etc.

There's lots of information on costco glasses through googling. But all the posts i found were from the states. Does anyone know how much lenses cost in canada? Ontario for me.

Most of the US posts seemed to say that lenses cost $50 and the antireflective coating was an additional $29. Wondering if the canadian costs were equivalent.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9053 posts
245 upvotes
Probably need info like what her prescription is and if she requires bifocals cuz that will vary the cost of the lens.
Yea, Lenscrafters is probably the place that is most expensive...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2186 posts
208 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
rems wrote:
Mar 17th, 2011 3:11 pm
Probably need info like what her prescription is and if she requires bifocals cuz that will vary the cost of the lens.
Yea, Lenscrafters is probably the place that is most expensive...

I should have said that all we're looking for are the basic lenses. Weak prescription (around -1.0 in both eyes) with nothing else weird or fancy needed.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9053 posts
245 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Mar 17th, 2011 3:23 pm
I should have said that all we're looking for are the basic lenses. Weak prescription (around -1.0 in both eyes) with nothing else weird or fancy needed.

I paid 125 (taxes in) for mine which are worse prescription and with all the coating and thinner lenses, etc...
Oct 5, 2006
41 posts
2 upvotes
I once when to Optical Loft at Yonge Street. The lady help me to choose a nice frame and lenses. I have never experience as a good service and given choice for brand of lens to use. Superhydrophobic lens is their standard lens in coating. I spent $158 total.
Dec 5, 2006
138 posts
26 upvotes
Scarborough
Figured this could use a price update. As of November 2011 these are Costco's prices on prescription lenses.

$199.99 - For 1.67 index lens /w all the coatings
$289.99 - For 1.74 index lens /w all the coatings

If installing on frames NOT sold with lenses they charge an additional $18.00

These are prices in Canadian taken from Markham Costco earlier today.

FYI. 1 Box (24 lenses) of Acuvue Oasys are $94.99

Hope this helps someone out looking for new glasses! Not sure how this compares to Lens Crafter recent prices. I heard Costco coatings are top quality though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
5827 posts
677 upvotes
Before you rule out online places like Clearly Contacts, understand they offer to ship frames to you to try for a small fee.

Other place you may want to try locally is Hakim, but I think their frames are all from India or something.

Lastly, prices at Lenscrafter and like had came down a lot given the competition So, it wouldn't hurt to bargain for a price closer to online/costco/hakim.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
2323 posts
647 upvotes
AB
I got my lenses replaced at Costco last week, it was the cheapest index for $150+ $18 because the frame wasn't bought from them. Al in all very happy with the quality of the lens.
× < >