None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto

Glasses - IC Berlin!, Mykita or Orgreen

Anyone know where I can find these brands/glasses for a little cheaper?

Toronto/scarborough/markham

Dont say first markham place 'cause i've been there to check it out.

What i'm really looking at is to compare prices.

Also your thoughts on these glasses if you own a pair / where did you buy yours?

Will I be able to claim through my insurance if i bought a pair online/ebay? (just curious)

Thanks,
14 replies
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
These are quite the high end brands, perhaps try downtown boutiques? I think Karir @ Yorkdale probably carries 1 or 2 of these brands that you're looking for.

You most likely wont be able to claim it with your insurance company if you buy JUST the frame online as it wouldn't be considered a eyewear medical device. However, if you find a place that will ship you the complete pair with prescription lenses, then your insurance probably would not have any problems with fulfilling your insurance payment.
Jul 29, 2006
626 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Optic Creations on Yonge. If they dont have the model you are looking for - they can order them for you.
....life needs more green lights.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2911 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I have IC berlin and Mykita. IC I got from Pac Mall and Mykita I got form Chinatown Optical. These are higher end eyewear. You are not really going to get them for dirt cheap. You may save money on the frames, but then more likely the store will charge you a little more on the lense. As for the insurance company question, I doubt it, you will need a receipt. Better yet why don't you CONTACT your insurance and ask.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
My eye sight isnt that bad. it's -.50 on both eyes. Lenses should be 50-80$

Are polycarbonate lenses any different? arent they standard lenses?
these guys keep telling me i need polycarbonate lenses as if they're trying to make more money from me.

Do you mind sharing pictures of your glasses and how much you got them for?
You can PM me if you'd like.

I was just curious about the unsurance question. honestly, i'm willing to pay cash for my glasses if i have to but for a resonable price.

So far i bargained a $650 frames down to $510 WITH "polycarbonate" lenses..but i still think they can do better.
Jan 9, 2009
375 posts
45 upvotes
Markham
Poly isn't standard, its thinner, lighter, and more impact resistant to plastic 1.5 which you could also use in your Rx.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Why do they keep asking me if i have insurance...

Damn, it annoys the hell out of me how they can charge so much for glasses and being asked if i have insurance...
what difference does it make if i do or do not?

Are they going to give it to me for a lower price if i said no?
Jan 28, 2007
195 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
ic berlin looks good and interesting design with the stamped metal! i was looking at those frames last month and found a couple stores in downtown chinatown that sell them. you can try apollo and minh chau optical. my previous frames were titanium and very lightweight so i ended up going for something completely different, otherwise, they would have been contenders.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/apollo-optical-toronto
http://www.minhchauoptical.com/company.html

on another note, i've got a -4.50/-6.25 prescription, so i need hi index lenses. minh chau recommended Trivex lenses, a brand that i have never heard of and they claim to be a new generation of advanced lenses with clearer sharper definition? anyone know them?

http://www.ppg.com/optical/opticalprodu ... rivex.aspx
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not expecting them for dirt cheap but I just think they can do more :)

Thanks, going to check out Minh Chau Optical this week.

I went to the Chinatown Optical on Friday as someone suggested. They were really rigid with the discounts, but more or less the same price they gave me compared to First Markham Place. (10$+ more difference for the same model i was looking for)

still can't find a store that has the IC Berlin that i'm looking for. They have all the old/girly looking glasses from IC Berlin. :(
Jul 22, 2011
9 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Minh Chau Optical has great service and they will order whatever frames you want . I was just there and they have a wide selection of IC Berlin. I ended up getting a pair myself.
Nov 27, 2012
19 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
n3o321 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 10:31 am
So far i bargained a $650 frames down to $510 WITH "polycarbonate" lenses..but i still think they can do better.
Got mine from First Markham Place. Very much like yours except single bridge and brown. Frame $325.

You must be a non-Asian or you look like a million bucks so they just gave you token discount, or you went to the largest, nicest store with the smartest looking clerks.

You need to shop around. At 1st Markham Place, I once compared the same TAG frame at 1) the above store, 2) another large store that's always empty, and 3) small store physically located in between with lots of frames piled up and somewhat busy at all times. All were authorized TAG frame dealers.

Store 3) had the lowest prices on the frame and lenses. That was couple years ago. This last time I bought the IC Berlin from them. A colleague told me a store at Time Square also carry cheap IC Berlin.

Understand that no-name prescription frames have insanely huge markups (can be 10x or more ), while designer frames actually have much lower markups.

Comparing Chinese owned/operated optical stores and main stream ones, Chinese places tend to charge slightly more on the frame, but the lenses are usually a lot cheaper.

>> optometrists who sell frames and lenses at cost

"their" cost. You can search some optometrist boards and see how they set that cost.

My lenses from above store were $300, while my optometrist wanted $850 plus dispensing fee. Other Chinese stores had prices as high as $500. You can get best prices from optometrists is make-believe, unless you only shop at main stream, chained optical stores.

Also frames are *never* sold non-discounted in stores, unless you don't ask for discount. See how they give 20% to auto club members, etc.

This is for Toronto.
Banned
Nov 27, 2012
1 posts
REPENTIGNY
Hi,
I think I saw this model last week at my Optician. This place have very good prices!
Look at it and let me know!!

I bought my last glasses there and I'm satisfied...

Jen
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1682 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
b3prfd wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 7:42 pm
Got mine from First Markham Place. Very much like yours except single bridge and brown. Frame $325.

You must be a non-Asian or you look like a million bucks so they just gave you token discount, or you went to the largest, nicest store with the smartest looking clerks.

You need to shop around. At 1st Markham Place, I once compared the same TAG frame at 1) the above store, 2) another large store that's always empty, and 3) small store physically located in between with lots of frames piled up and somewhat busy at all times. All were authorized TAG frame dealers.

Store 3) had the lowest prices on the frame and lenses. That was couple years ago. This last time I bought the IC Berlin from them. A colleague told me a store at Time Square also carry cheap IC Berlin.

Understand that no-name prescription frames have insanely huge markups (can be 10x or more ), while designer frames actually have much lower markups.

Comparing Chinese owned/operated optical stores and main stream ones, Chinese places tend to charge slightly more on the frame, but the lenses are usually a lot cheaper.

>> optometrists who sell frames and lenses at cost

"their" cost. You can search some optometrist boards and see how they set that cost.

My lenses from above store were $300, while my optometrist wanted $850 plus dispensing fee. Other Chinese stores had prices as high as $500. You can get best prices from optometrists is make-believe, unless you only shop at main stream, chained optical stores.

Also frames are *never* sold non-discounted in stores, unless you don't ask for discount. See how they give 20% to auto club members, etc.

This is for Toronto.
Dont know if you saw the post above, i bought the Orgreens just one post above yours. for 95$ plus tax. lol I am asian.Looking like a million bucks? I dont know about that :D

Since my frames were so cheap, i spent more on lenses. Got Crizal lens with oleophobic coating + anti glare + and all that. about 85$ cheaper than what 'white' places were charging. oh the 'white places' did an additional charge - 'resurfacing charge' was another 45$ at those places LOL so total was around $130 more. smh.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1461 posts
304 upvotes
bumping a very, very old thread. But looking into Orgreen, and looking to see if any optical stores sell this at competitive prices?