• Aug 19th, 2016 4:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1580 posts
578 upvotes
London

Global subscription settings?

I can't find a method to select automatically subscribing to posts I make, and choosing the default method (email, etc).
That existed before, but now it seems each post requires individual selection.

On a related note, I get notifications (just the bell icon counter at top/right) for previously subscribed threads.
I don't want that, and there seems no way to change that.
I also don't know why I even get then at all, as none of the below apply.

-- options --
Your threads/posts are approved or disapproved by a moderator
Someone quotes you in a post
Someone upvotes your post
Someone downvotes your post
Someone gives you BST feedback
----------------

I also discovered an additional issue.
If I select subscription options for an individual post (i.e. this one), and then do a final preview before actually posting, I lose the subscription selection.
11 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12099 posts
22404 upvotes
Scarborough
All subscription notifications (onsite and email) are handled directly through the subscriptions page. If notification is set to on for a subscription, it'll show up under the bell icon.

We're still working on other improvements to subscriptions right now and should have more updates this week.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1580 posts
578 upvotes
London
TomRFD wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 10:44 am
If notification is set to on for a subscription, it'll show up under the bell icon.
So I have to go through and individually turn off notifications for each subscribed thread?
I have hundreds.

Under the previous system, I would by default have no notification for subscribed threads, but they would appear under my list of subscribed threads.
It's less intrusive, yet still allow me to keep track of updated threads.
Now I seem to have notifications set for all, even though I don't want that.

After looking more thoroughly at that page you cited, I did find the "edit selected subscriptions" option at the bottom of the page in pale font.
That could be placed more prominently at top like other options.
Although I can change my preference, it appears I need to individually do it for every thread.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16436 posts
8775 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
arisk wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 12:40 pm
So I have to go through and individually turn off notifications for each subscribed thread?
I have hundreds.
Is that really so onerous? After all most such threads are old, some perhaps years old. With rare exceptions no one will ever reply to them so you'll never get notifications regardless of subscription status. Admittedly occasionally you will get a notification from an old thread and yes it can be annoying. But is it really so potentially annoying as to be worth having to "go through and individually turn off notifications for each subscribed thread?"
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1580 posts
578 upvotes
London
bylo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 1:00 pm
arisk wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 12:40 pm
I have hundreds.
Is that really so onerous? After all most such threads are old, some perhaps years old. With rare exceptions no one will ever reply to them so you'll never get notifications regardless of subscription status. Admittedly occasionally you will get a notification from an old thread and yes it can be annoying. But is it really so potentially annoying as to be worth having to "go through and individually turn off notifications for each subscribed thread?"
You're missing the point.
It's the principle.

The new system took previously subscribed threads and decided to add unwanted notifications to them.
Then it was not designed to quickly revert that.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16436 posts
8775 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
arisk wrote:
Aug 11th, 2016 1:05 pm
You're missing the point.
It's the principle.
I get both the point and the principle.

All I'm saying is that the list of bugs and annoyances in the new forum software is long. Because this particular issue is likely to be rare for most people and the effect merely annoying, it's probably well down on that list. I'd rather that RFD devote their resources to more serious problems first.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30081 posts
1347 upvotes
Fernando Po
Why is it that when I make a thread or respond to a thread it doesn't become a part of my subscriptions? It did before the upgrade.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16436 posts
8775 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
There's seems to have been a change to Subscriptions overnight. And it's not an improvement.

Before threads would get unsubscribed when I replied to them. But now it seems that the Notification and E-mail settings are getting reset as well. I've had to do this in two threads so far this morning.

So now, instead of just checking the "Subscribe to this thread and notify me of changes through" it seems I also have to manually set My Notifications to On (from Off) and E-mail Updates to Never (from Instant.)

This seems like a giant leap backwards.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30081 posts
1347 upvotes
Fernando Po
Still no solution offered.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2413 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto, ON
where's the link of subscribe forum in the forum?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16604 posts
6473 upvotes
Oakville
arisk wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 10:07 am
I can't find a method to select automatically subscribing to posts I make, and choosing the default method (email, etc).
This is my #1 biggest pet peeve in the redesign. I hate having to manually subscribe to every thread I reply to (oh, and make sure that I do it even on threads I'm already subscribed to, lest it automatically unsubscribe me from the thread when I reply). I used to be able to just alt-s to reply to a post... Now I have to *go advanced*, and turn on subscriptions. I suppose it's good in that it's reduced the amount of time that I spend in the forums, because invariably I end up forgetting to subscribe to a thread, then when I go to check for new responses to subscribed threads, there are none (or way less) because I'm not subscribed to the threads I've responded to. Though I doubt that RFD wants me spending less time on the site, I'm sure my boss is happy :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9237 posts
789 upvotes
Toronto
Bump for this issue.

I want to be subscribed via. my global setting (ie. notification) to a thread when I reply so I can keep track of discussions.

Please implement this back.

Plus all this cleartype font around the forum is killing my eyes on my 2560x1440 monitor. Everything is a blur. Damnit!