• Apr 22nd, 2013 9:31 am
Tags:
None
Oct 5, 2009
942 posts
180 upvotes
carguru32 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2013 12:03 pm
To keep the facts straight- the claim about the etching comes from 3M- whether or not you believe 3M's claims is irrelevant. The vin is NOT imprinted on every panel on a vehicle- the reason why they do the dye on every panel is to make it difficult for a chop shop to sell off stolen bodel panels. Body panels do not have vins on them, at least they didnt when i worked at a manufacturer a few years ago. If a body shop wants to buy panels with a bunch of sand marks on them I would have to think that nothing would have prevented them from buying them in the first place knowing they were hot

THe 5000 benefit is only valid to the original selling dealer, you are correct. Still, i dont believe that you are ignorant enough to believe that there is that much margin that is simply waived as a promotional gimmick. THe selling dealer does not pay the benefit, the provider does, so to the dealer it is not a discount. It is a true 5000 off the price.

ALso when it comes to garage policies, the deductible is usually to the order of $5000. I assume you realize that if a car is stolen or damaged on a lot that there is a hefty deductible right?
You didn't read what i wrote. Straw man argument. There are vins that you do not know about on MAJOR components of cars. Not every body panel. Fraud consultants to Insurance Bureau of Canada say its so.

5000 off the purchase of a car from the SELLING dealer. What if the dealer goes out of business.what if the dealer does not have a car you want. That's not remotely the same as a 5000 cash payout that can be added to whatever theft settlement the insurance company gives you. It forces you back to the selling dealer. That's not insurance.

You don't deny that the dealer already has a hefty insurance policy do you?

Globali has nothing to do with insurance deductibles on DAMAGE.

Globali "insurance" on thefts that occur before the dealer sells the car have no benifit to consumers. Why should I care? Why should I pay an extra 50, 70 or whatever dollars for Globali to give some benefit to the dealer on cars other than than the one I buy?

Its an ADD ON. People can buy it if they want but if I agree to purchase a car without a CD player and then you go and put in a CD player before I pick it up its not mandatory that I buy the CD player because the dealer chose to put it in. Its my dang car I didn't ask to have toi etched and I didn't agree to have it etched. You put it on withoput asking me if I want it? Guess dealer has to take the loss.
Apr 7, 2013
3 posts
Toronto
Toolatecrew wrote:
Apr 8th, 2013 3:43 pm
You didn't read what i wrote. Straw man argument. There are vins that you do not know about on MAJOR components of cars. Not every body panel. Fraud consultants to Insurance Bureau of Canada say its so.

5000 off the purchase of a car from the SELLING dealer. What if the dealer goes out of business.what if the dealer does not have a car you want. That's not remotely the same as a 5000 cash payout that can be added to whatever theft settlement the insurance company gives you. It forces you back to the selling dealer. That's not insurance.

You don't deny that the dealer already has a hefty insurance policy do you?

Globali has nothing to do with insurance deductibles on DAMAGE.

Globali "insurance" on thefts that occur before the dealer sells the car have no benifit to consumers. Why should I care? Why should I pay an extra 50, 70 or whatever dollars for Globali to give some benefit to the dealer on cars other than than the one I buy?

Its an ADD ON. People can buy it if they want but if I agree to purchase a car without a CD player and then you go and put in a CD player before I pick it up its not mandatory that I buy the CD player because the dealer chose to put it in. Its my dang car I didn't ask to have toi etched and I didn't agree to have it etched. You put it on withoput asking me if I want it? Guess dealer has to take the loss.
MAJOR components. What is a MAJOR component. Is it significantly more important than a ((lower case)) major component? Cars are stolen to be stripped. Not every panel is identified with the vin. The manufacturer will place vin stickers on some areas of the car that arent as visible (trunk hinge comes to mind as an example) The purpose of the program is to make it more evident if a panel being sold is from a stolen vehicle or not. Dont take my word for it, I dont work for Globali or the police, I am just trying to point out that this particular marketplace was a bit of a witch hunt. Check out Globali's statement on their website, i have no dog in this race. I do however have the bad habit of arguing on the internet with people such as yourself, people that like to argue about things they arent fully informed about.

Its a payout benefit, not an insurance, you are right. Good call on what to do if the dealer is out of business, i have no idea what happens, perhaps you can contact the company and ask rather than assuming its lost. If a dealer doesnt have a car I want and I had a 4000 benefit at that store I am fairly certain I would ask them to locate the one i am looking for. Its SOP if youre in the car business to do locates. But you know that don't you, because you have an opinion.

Dealers have hefty insurance payments, that much I know. I also know that if a vehicle is stolen and *gasp* recovered with (get this are you ready?) damage then Globali does get involved. Because if the vehicle has 3000 in damage the dealer is not going to claim it on insurance (but will through globali)

Im sorry you dont see my points, I agree its an add on, a profit center, all those things. But its far from fraudulent, or a ripoff. If you ask me, the people on here would be much more upset if they knew how much they were getting bled by wireless carriers and hardware manufacturers like Apple. Triple digit profit margins are fine, so long as your coffee pods are recyclable
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
383 upvotes
Valleywood
Once the salesman has included Global-I on the BOS with deceptive sales practices, including the claim that it is a "mandatory registration fee", all credibility is lost.

I have had the salesman of a used vehicle add $399 to my OTR price next to the line item "Global-I". Nice try!
Apr 5, 2008
590 posts
70 upvotes
It's not just Globali, pretty much every new car sold will have a mandatory add-on for some form of security marking from a company. I looked at my invoice and they tacked on $300 for mine.

The real question is, can we opt out of these or force the dealer/security company to give us refunds for this stupid add-on?
Sep 11, 2008
600 posts
15 upvotes
I bought a new car three weeks ago and saw this thread about Globali a week and a half ago. Checked my invoice and there it was, a charge for Globali. I remember asking the dealership if I was paying for this after seeing the name on a piece of plastic attached to my new keys. He said no, it is free. I emailed the dealership after reading this thread and today I picked up a check with a full refund.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15938 posts
2493 upvotes
Toronto
No hassle at all ? Good for you !! chalk one up for the average joe.

onepixel wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 6:46 pm
I bought a new car three weeks ago and saw this thread about Globali a week and a half ago. Checked my invoice and there it was, a charge for Globali. I remember asking the dealership if I was paying for this after seeing the name on a piece of plastic attached to my new keys. He said no, it is free. I emailed the dealership after reading this thread and today I picked up a check with a full refund.
Sep 11, 2008
600 posts
15 upvotes
No hassle but I think it may have been because they were aware I work in the social media feild and were probably afraid I would say negative things about them. They were very good about it all.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
811 upvotes
Calgary
Dealers are all about scams period, ripping off customers is their mission statement so this doesnt surprise me. Nothing but crooks working at dealers. Thats why i have no respect for anyone working at one. I will only go if I need an OEM part and even then I will pretty much gag when walking in.
× < >