Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 9, 2004
601 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough

Globe CFLs vs. Phillips CFLs

I currently have a few Globe CFL bulbs in my home. Although it's not really a big deal, they take about a second to turn on from the moment you hit the switch, and after that, it takes about a minute to reach full brightness (although this transition may not be very noticeable to some). I was considering switching to some Phillips CFL bulbs, particularly the daylight ones and was wondering if they suffer from the same issue. Can anybody comment?
9 replies
Mar 2, 2006
833 posts
33 upvotes
Globe CFL's are garbage. They take to long to light up. They're only good for lights that never need to be turned off.

I have both Philips and Luminous bulbs and both are great. They turn on almost instantly.

I don't want to waste the Globe bulbs, so I use one of them paired with either a Philips or Luminous CFL, so that I at least have a little light before the Globe CFL turns on (yes, there's that much of a time lag).
[OP]
Jul 9, 2004
601 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Wow, I don't think my Globe CFLs are as bad as yours, they only take about a second to turn on, but then its kind of dim for a minute before it reaches full brightness. Do your Phillips CFLs do this as well? When you say they turn on almost instantly, are they comparable to incandescent bulbs?
Mar 2, 2006
833 posts
33 upvotes
My Globe bulbs take about a second too, which is far too long in my opinion (I could be half way into the room in that amount of time). And yes, by instantly, I do mean that they are comparable to incandescents.

I have some Philips Daylight CFL's. They don't go well in rooms where the paint and decor are designed to give a warm feeling as the white light makes everything look too sterile.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
1821 posts
165 upvotes
The Globe lamps are generally garbage! they not only suffer from a longer warm up and flicker (Newer models are better than what they had out last year) but they have a low CRI (colour Rendering Index) (Please dont confuse this withe Colour Temperature - Warm White 2700k cool White 4100K etc)

CRI is how you see colours under certain light. A perfect CRI in CFLs would represent a colour looking the same as it would under he sun at the equator at noon.

Anyways If you have a nice room with nice furnishings,paint , curtains etc.... you wont truly see the colours using your typical cfl from Globe. The Phillips are definatly a better choice for not much if any more money.

Also Globe has a history of recalls.

Im Tired

Merry Christmas
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11550 posts
1992 upvotes
RFD
I have some cheapass chinese brands of CFL's. They do the same thing, not really that bad though.

Turns on after you flick the switch under a full second. And it takes time to reach full brightness. I thought in general all CFL's act this way?

The thing is I did have one bulb on the batch I purchased, that went bad on me. The bulb when turned on about in different lengths, would suddenly turn off on me. And then if we did not turn off the light switch, 1 hour later it would suddenly work again.

This what happens when you buy a bunch of CFL's from a non-retail store. You get a 6-month warranty, and you are on the hook.
[OP]
Jul 9, 2004
601 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
I picked up some Philips Daylight CFLs and they're great. The turn on instantly and although they still take time to reach full brightness, it's much faster than the Globe CFLs (about 30 sec maybe?). I also love the white colour of light they emit, it really is closer to daylight, so much better than regular bulbs.

Has anyone tried any of the Philips Natural Light incandescent/halogen bulbs? Is the colour of light they give off comparable to the Daylight CFLs?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5231 posts
832 upvotes
m0cha wrote:
Dec 25th, 2006 8:40 pm
I picked up some Philips Daylight CFLs and they're great. The turn on instantly and although they still take time to reach full brightness, it's much faster than the Globe CFLs (about 30 sec maybe?). I also love the white colour of light they emit, it really is closer to daylight, so much better than regular bulbs.

Has anyone tried any of the Philips Natural Light incandescent/halogen bulbs? Is the colour of light they give off comparable to the Daylight CFLs?
The incandescents are terrible. They are maybe 3500K whereas the CFLs are rated at 4100K. The incandescents have a noticeable yellow tinge but the CFL has a blue tinge. Most people hate my rooms with daylight bulbs, they prefer the old 3000k bulbs.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
1179 posts
102 upvotes
Woodbridge
rf134a wrote:
Dec 26th, 2006 12:41 am
Most people hate my rooms with daylight bulbs, they prefer the old 3000k bulbs.
Yeah I can relate. My wife hates the daylight CFLs I bought. Had to take them out of the kitchen and use them in my home office and basement instead. :) It's funny how we get so used to our lights being/giving off a certain colour.

Lobo
[OP]
Jul 9, 2004
601 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
At first I hated the Daylight CFLs as well, but I gave em a couple days and I got used to them, I actually like them much better than standard 2500-2700K bulbs. The Daylight CFLs are actually supposed to be 6500K, the same colour as real daylight.

So if I were looking for an incandescent bulb that would emit a similar colour light to the Daylight CFLs, the Natural Light bulbs wouldn't be much better than standard incandescents?