Personal Finance

Globe and Mail Financial Facelift Article wow...not a typical Gen Y'er.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2013 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Man sirex and scarface (Mister 1% there) hating hard in here lol

Good for this guy! It takes motivation to willingly work 3 jobs, and exceed at doing so.

Why does everyone keep mentioning they make more money than him btw? Does it help better your ego? Repeat after me haters, "I'm still awesome."
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Sep 14, 2005
604 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Kudos to this guy, however I think there needs to be more research by journalists or these financial writers into how much money was given to him by parents to pay for downpayment, as is the case with most people these days who buy their first place. Its something that isn't talked about enough. I know young adults these days almost always have their downpayment of $50k given as a gift from parents, its pretty much the standard now.
Aug 29, 2004
871 posts
145 upvotes
LostInTruth wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 1:07 am
Man sirex and scarface (Mister 1% there) hating hard in here lol

Good for this guy! It takes motivation to willingly work 3 jobs, and exceed at doing so.

Why does everyone keep mentioning they make more money than him btw? Does it help better your ego? Repeat after me haters, "I'm still awesome."

I've said no less than four times in this thread that if this is what makes him happy, good for him. If you take that as me hating on him, your perceiving incorrectly.

Anyone with this guys background could sacrifice like he has and have the same networth. I really have no need to hate on a low paid employee with a menial salary who saves his money. For the fifth time, good for him!

I wish someone would contact me to write and article, or one of my friends. I would love to see the reaction here to a true outlier.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5662 posts
1542 upvotes
Scarborough
That's quite impressive. Kudos to that guy.

Also all the people saying he should go out and enjoy life etc. - You don't know his social life situation. Maybe he enjoys being by himself and not taking vacations? Some people actually do like to work and not go out and travel. Not everyone is the same...
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
scarface wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 8:33 am
I've said no less than four times in this thread that if this is what makes him happy, good for him. If you take that as me hating on him, your perceiving incorrectly.

Anyone with this guys background could sacrifice like he has and have the same networth. I really have no need to hate on a low paid employee with a menial salary who saves his money. For the fifth time, good for him!

I wish someone would contact me to write and article, or one of my friends. I would love to see the reaction here to a true outlier.
It's your ego. You're jealous because he is getting attention making due for what he has accomplished, while you are not. Otherwise, you wouldn't make such silly remarks like "menial salary" and "low paid employee." You need to get over yourself.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
CM52 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2013 11:54 am
Yeah when you're doing just fine financially otherwise but still selling shoes on the weekend to pay off your mortgage faster, you need to reevaluate your priorities.
What's wrong with a second part-time job? I work full-time and am "fine" financially but that full-time job is only 40 hours a week and leaves a lot of time for other things.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I do, however, question how he can only spend $250 per month on food.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
CWatson87 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 6:27 pm
I do, however, question how he can only spend $250 per month on food.
It's doable, but requires a strict budget.

For the record, I would not emulate this guy's lifestyle because it's not me. But the grand principle of it all is that he is motivated to succeed, has set SMART goals, and is (I assume) happy with his accomplishments so far.

For those who love to travel, go out, and have fun… be happy with your accomplishments too, but don't diminish others just because they differ from your goals. Humility is a hard thing to achieve, I'm still getting there.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
Rickson9 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2013 1:37 pm
Kudos to this guy. That's awesome! Haters gonna hate. He's doing fantastic.
I agree.

Compare this guy to those his age saying, "Woe is me. I can't find a job. I'll never own a house. Boo Hoo."

He owns a house
He's paying off the mortgage
He has a full time job.
He has a part time job.
He freelances -- he is his own boss.

His future is so bright, he ought to wear shades. :cool:
Deal Addict
May 17, 2013
1775 posts
279 upvotes
coupondiva2012 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 7:01 pm
Compare this guy to those his age saying, "Woe is me. I can't find a job. I'll never own a house. Boo Hoo."
And who might this person be? Anybody we know.... or?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1860 posts
341 upvotes
Woodbridge
kudos for saving but I agree with a more balanced lifestyle.

if dude has any downtime he probably has worn a hole in his fleshlight and has high blood pressure from all the mr.noodle he eats. not that great of an existence.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2013
1775 posts
279 upvotes
Euphoric wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 7:09 pm
kudos for saving but I agree with a more balanced lifestyle.

if dude has any downtime he probably has worn a hole in his fleshlight and has high blood pressure from all the mr.noodle he eats. not that great of an existence.
Because its always better to piss the money away going on holidays that you can barely afford, and retire old as a drifter without a place to call home. Your main course, do you eat the steak first or the sides?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3748 posts
535 upvotes
West Side GTA
Just as a comparison here's one that was published by the star recently...they also have a section that's similar to financial facelift from the globe (i read both whenever I get the chance).

http://www.thestar.com/business/persona ... _debt.html

^^ she's 26 so relatively "similar" age.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
-=phelan=- wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 7:30 pm
Just as a comparison here's one that was published by the star recently...they also have a section that's similar to financial facelift from the globe (i read both whenever I get the chance).

http://www.thestar.com/business/persona ... _debt.html

^^ she's 26 so relatively "similar" age.
You should've post the one with the high earner who can barely make ends meet.