Personal Finance

Globe and Mail Financial Facelift Article wow...not a typical Gen Y'er.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2013 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 11:34 am
Ah I see. So I assume you may not be taking courses where participation is mandatory or graded.

Looks the guy in the article is so busy working, he probably has very little time to spend money; which isn't bad per se. But you are right, if in suburbs he is missing transportation costs; whether it be bus fair or car expenses.
They're university courses, so we're past the point where the teacher takes attendance. As long as the work is done everything is golden. Group projects take communication and actual presence, but I don't have any for the foreseeable future.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29593 posts
2290 upvotes
Winnipeg
sunshinemoonlight13 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2013 7:02 pm
And who might this person be? Anybody we know.... or?
sounds familiar, this guy works hard and don't complain, certainly a rare quality
Apr 30, 2013
562 posts
264 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
a gold digger will take him... and then take half.
All that work for nothing. People work hard for 20+ yrs and lose everything.. this guy is a ticking bomb.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9145 posts
995 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 11:47 am
They're university courses, so we're past the point where the teacher takes attendance. As long as the work is done everything is golden. Group projects take communication and actual presence, but I don't have any for the foreseeable future.
Well my friend is doing his MBA and in business, participation actually counts for your final mark. I had a course once where 20% was participation; forcing you to read the articles they ask you to do before classes.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
speedyforme wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 11:58 am
Well my friend is doing his MBA and in business, participation actually counts for your final mark. I had a course once where 20% was participation; forcing you to read the articles they ask you to do before classes.
There are classes like that, sure, but they're rare in undergrad. A statistics course (one of my courses this semester) grades exclusively on two 25% midterms and a 50% final. I can see why an MBA would be heavy on group participation and soft skills, but 'harder' courses are usually pretty coursework-based.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29593 posts
2290 upvotes
Winnipeg
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 12:07 pm
There are classes like that, sure, but they're rare in undergrad. A statistics course (one of my courses this semester) grades exclusively on two 25% midterms and a 50% final. I can see why an MBA would be heavy on group participation and soft skills, but 'harder' courses are usually pretty coursework-based.
i wrote 100% final exam before, love those YOLO courses
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1371 posts
55 upvotes
sixsixii wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 12:23 am
it's getting really old with all the condescending suggestions to "travel". Not everyone likes to travel, especially the all too commonly suggested backpacking to some shithole to "gain perspective on life".
+1 Seems like some people are treating travel as the be all and end all of life. Done properly it is way too expensive, done on the cheap and it is complete ***** , backpacking and sleeping in some stench filled hostile isn't my idea of fun. Based on what I see, all that is done in traveling is eating food and getting your picture taken in front of some crappy tourist trap monument, so what exactly is great about that?
Aug 29, 2004
871 posts
145 upvotes
halflife150 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 8:18 pm
+1 Seems like some people are treating travel as the be all and end all of life. Done properly it is way too expensive, done on the cheap and it is complete ***** , backpacking and sleeping in some stench filled hostile isn't my idea of fun. Based on what I see, all that is done in traveling is eating food and getting your picture taken in front of some crappy tourist trap monument, so what exactly is great about that?
I think it's being used more as an example of having the ability (both financially and time wise) to do something
Jan 5, 2006
941 posts
73 upvotes
Mississauga
halflife150 wrote:
Everyone has different priorities. I prefer to travel because I like to experience other cultures and immerse myself wherever I am. Do I get my picture taken in front of tourist trap monuments? I do, but I also make my own agenda and go exploring. Sure beats just sitting on a beach at an all-inclusive with limited things to do. The other reason I travel is more philosophical and that is, how do you know "home" is your true home if you haven't really been away from "home"?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Winnings:
2008 - 591mL Coke drink
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2084 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 12:07 pm
Rare in undergrad? All my undergrad courses had at least a 10% participation component.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8068 posts
902 upvotes
[QUOTE]His full-time job in the financial industry brings in $48,825 a year including bonus.[/QUOTE]

This guy makes about as much as an entry-level sales rep at a bank and he writes a personal finance blog??
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Oct 15, 2009
87 posts
43 upvotes
Kanata
Thalo wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 11:11 pm
This guy makes about as much as an entry-level sales rep at a bank and he writes a personal finance blog??
I think the G&M article is on Sean Cooper who guest blogs over Million Dollar Journey and on ratesupermarket. If it's him, he's a pension analyst.

Just a wild guess based on blog entries. If it's not, my apologies to the both of them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7539 posts
1209 upvotes
halflife150 wrote:
Youre thinking of backpacking across country, which is done mostly by young students, or thinking of people going to hot countries to get fat from all you can eat and drink, and microwaved like pancakes under the sun.

Im not a huge traveller but people who travel across multiple countries are eons ahead in terms of education, knowledge and overall worth as a person of interest vs a yocal with a stable 9-5 good job who cant hold a conversation worth their salt and thinks the Geneva Convention is an European Comicon.

Im not saying people who dont travel arent smart or educated, but they are always lacking in personality and self worth.

Ive had room mates at exact opposite ends of that spectrum, both girls. One local all her life, the other did about 30 countries so far. The height of possible conversations to be had by either of them was at very different levels of intellect, though they both have the same level of education finished.

Traveling is worth a great deal. Pictures and souvenirs are just memory trinkets. Thats not what you travel for, you can buy most of that kind of stuff on ebay.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29593 posts
2290 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kasakato wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 9:51 pm
Rare in undergrad? All my undergrad courses had at least a 10% participation component.
none of my courses at participation component
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1371 posts
55 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 6:24 pm
Youre thinking of backpacking across country, which is done mostly by young students, or thinking of people going to hot countries to get fat from all you can eat and drink, and microwaved like pancakes under the sun.

Im not a huge traveller but people who travel across multiple countries are eons ahead in terms of education, knowledge and overall worth as a person of interest vs a yocal with a stable 9-5 good job who cant hold a conversation worth their salt and thinks the Geneva Convention is an European Comicon.

Im not saying people who dont travel arent smart or educated, but they are always lacking in personality and self worth.

Ive had room mates at exact opposite ends of that spectrum, both girls. One local all her life, the other did about 30 countries so far. The height of possible conversations to be had by either of them was at very different levels of intellect, though they both have the same level of education finished.

Traveling is worth a great deal. Pictures and souvenirs are just memory trinkets. Thats not what you travel for, you can buy most of that kind of stuff on ebay.
Ya, I was thinking of that type of travel, more of a vacation type thing, but aren't those the only two types of travel, because, I have no idea what you're describing. You make it sound like traveling is some sort of magic potion that makes you smarter and more interesting. And it sounds like you may be confusing what causes what, because wouldn't a person who is willing to travel across multiple countries already have the personality that is outgoing and adventurous to be doing that in the first place and therefore a more interesting person to interact with? So the traveling may have nothing to do with it.