Personal Finance

Globe and Mail Financial Facelift Article wow...not a typical Gen Y'er.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2013 9:15 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 12, 2008
36 posts
2 upvotes
Brossard
halflife150 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 7:26 pm
Ya, I was thinking of that type of travel, more of a vacation type thing, but aren't those the only two types of travel, because, I have no idea what you're describing. You make it sound like traveling is some sort of magic potion that makes you smarter and more interesting. And it sounds like you may be confusing what causes what, because wouldn't a person who is willing to travel across multiple countries already have the personality that is outgoing and adventurous to be doing that in the first place and therefore a more interesting person to interact with? So the traveling may have nothing to do with it.
I definitely agree with Buggy that travelling is a building experience. While it's true that their is some element of causation in his statement, in that more outgoing people are more likely to travel. Even for those who aren't, being dropped in a foreign culture (of course not talking about an all-inclusive, those are fun but not real travelling) and having to adapt makes you grow as a person. I'm not the most comfortable person socially and was in Japan for three weeks last year. Some places like Tokyo were pretty easy to get by in, but I also went to backwater villages where nearly no one understood English. Yet I managed to get by and the skills you learn through that can not be attained any other way.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17511 posts
2862 upvotes
Toronto
-=phelan=- wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 8:36 pm
some people on here have commented about his transportation cost...couldn't he just be one of those e-bike people or bicycle everywhere? Somehow I can see that "fitting" this guys lifestyle.
He lives in the suburbs, so it's very unlikely. Especially not with 3 jobs in a country with winter.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe transportation is vacation/travel
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Sep 14, 2005
604 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
halflife150 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 8:18 pm
+1 Seems like some people are treating travel as the be all and end all of life. Done properly it is way too expensive, done on the cheap and it is complete ***** , backpacking and sleeping in some stench filled hostile isn't my idea of fun. Based on what I see, all that is done in traveling is eating food and getting your picture taken in front of some crappy tourist trap monument, so what exactly is great about that?
This is well said. Pretty much sums it up for me. There are those who do real travelling, like safaris or Alaskan trips, but other than that, I think its all just going to one mall and another or one sand to another.