Fashion & Beauty

Gloves/Mittens - Are they worth the price tag?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2018 3:42 pm
Tags:
Sep 15, 2012
888 posts
261 upvotes
bv

Gloves/Mittens - Are they worth the price tag?

So I need a new pair of gloves. I do snowboard, but I need them for daily tasks as well, driving and snowblowing the driveway.

My hands are sensitive and get cold fairly easy. Mittens are generally warmer so I am fine with those. Being on the East coast we can get frigid temps in the -30C and less with windchills.

I see these gloves ranging from $30 to onwards of $250+.. is the price tag worth it? Some of these much more expensive ones also look way too bulky which would render daily tasks useless and nearly impossible. I saw a Hestra pair at sport check their a 3 finger style mitten $190 which seemed to have a decent amount of flexibility and still allowing my to grab and move my hand around.

I don't mind spending the cash as long as they actually work and keep my hands warm - I don't want to spend my money to carry some sort of label around if they are worthless in actually keeping my hands warm. https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331632 ... NwodohwHxg

What are you guys recommendations? Anyone have experience with this make of particular mittens? I'm sure there is folks out there that do some sort of extreme winter activities and have had decent gloves/mittens.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
One thing about gloves/mittens is I don't buy expensive ones (more then $50). Same goes with umbrellas and sunglasses because it's just so easy to lose them. Because of lot of these warm gloves are big and thick, I find they are really easy to fall of your pocket. Or when you go inside you take them off because they are so warm and its easy to leave them behind. If you lose $200 mitts, you aren't going to feel good and then are you going to spend another $200 to buy another pair? Thats just me though, maybe you arent as absent minded as I am :D

I think you can get something like this for almost a quarter of the price and is well reviewed by MEC members (people say they are good at keep wind and wet out). https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-105/Overlord-Mitts
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Mittons with two layers are nice. The first layer knitted block the wind, the second layer made of some other material keep your hands warm.

Alternatively, think uggs or mukluks but in gloves/mitton form. I know they exist but I don't know if anyone branded them yet.
Sep 15, 2012
888 posts
261 upvotes
bv
Jaytee wrote: One thing about gloves/mittens is I don't buy expensive ones (more then $50). Same goes with umbrellas and sunglasses because it's just so easy to lose them. Because of lot of these warm gloves are big and thick, I find they are really easy to fall of your pocket. Or when you go inside you take them off because they are so warm and its easy to leave them behind. If you lose $200 mitts, you aren't going to feel good and then are you going to spend another $200 to buy another pair? Thats just me though, maybe you arent as absent minded as I am :D

I think you can get something like this for almost a quarter of the price and is well reviewed by MEC members (people say they are good at keep wind and wet out). https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-105/Overlord-Mitts
You got a valid point there, however I am not too concerned with losing them.

Ive looked at the MEC site and do not have one locally, closest one is ~2.5hours away and don't want to order this kind of thing online as I'd like to try them on first etc. I read some reviews on those particular ones and someone complained that their fairly tight inside which turns me off even more from ordering them without being able to stuff my hands inside.

I didn't think that buying gloves would be this complicated and expensive.. I don't know what the sportcheck return policy is like for things like gloves but I might just buy the bullet and buy those and return if their garbage. I'm not too concerned "fashion" wise how they will go with my coat etc.. I want to be warm lol.

Anyone know of any specials coming up at sportcheck lol?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
iPonik wrote: So I need a new pair of gloves. I do snowboard, but I need them for daily tasks as well, driving and snowblowing the driveway...
Why don't u buy specific gloves for each activity?

Why would u want to drive wearing mittens?
Last edited by Guest8456458484 on Dec 27th, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I just wear two pairs of gloves.
Nice slim one inside and a bit bigger ones outside.
does the trick for me.
Sep 15, 2012
888 posts
261 upvotes
bv
Becks wrote: Why don't u buy specific gloves for each activity?

Why would u want to drive wearing mittens?
Well for a few reasons;
1) One pair does all, less clutter and trying to find the right pair I need.
2) in the morning I need something warm when I go out to scrape the car off and clean, which at the same time will be the same gloves I will have one if I need to run the snowblower to clean the driveway.

For me just makes more sense to have one pair, once I clean the car up and I'm inside the vehicle I don't per say need to wear the mittens.
superfresh89 wrote: I have these: https://www.costco.ca/Roots-3-in-1-Unis ... 07910.html

Picked them up in-warehouse a few years ago.... they're no $250 mitts, but great value!
Lol I have those but I have the model from 2-3 years ago. Looks slightly different and got them at costco at the time. I personally find those after longer periods of time get cold
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
2 layered mitts, as mentioned. Why skimp when you obviously would use the crap out of them. Buy them at MEC and if they don't work out, return them. I would also suggest looking at US Army surplus Extreme Cold weather mitts. They are top notch.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23188 posts
2327 upvotes
Singapore
Jaytee wrote: One thing about gloves/mittens is I don't buy expensive ones (more then $50). Same goes with umbrellas and sunglasses because it's just so easy to lose them. Because of lot of these warm gloves are big and thick, I find they are really easy to fall of your pocket. Or when you go inside you take them off because they are so warm and its easy to leave them behind. If you lose $200 mitts, you aren't going to feel good and then are you going to spend another $200 to buy another pair? Thats just me though, maybe you arent as absent minded as I am :D

Is that pair of mitts machine washable? I find that a lot of gloves are either spot clean or hand clean only.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
Why choose when you don’t have to ...

Pair of Dents leathers for the week.

$1.49 Walmart mitts for doing anything outside around the house on the weekend.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Specialized Ski/snowboard gear can get very expensive, $200 gloves, $1000+ jackets, $500 pants, etc.

If you don't require those when you go snowboarding, stick with the $30 pair that you can also use when you're out and about. I don't know too many people that use their expensive ski gear for other tasks (those that I know that have it).

If you see how those gloves "perform" on the slopes and make your runs more enjoyable, only then will they be worth the price tag.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
iPonik wrote: So I need a new pair of gloves. I do snowboard, but I need them for daily tasks as well, driving and snowblowing the driveway.

My hands are sensitive and get cold fairly easy. Mittens are generally warmer so I am fine with those. Being on the East coast we can get frigid temps in the -30C and less with windchills.

I see these gloves ranging from $30 to onwards of $250+.. is the price tag worth it? Some of these much more expensive ones also look way too bulky which would render daily tasks useless and nearly impossible. I saw a Hestra pair at sport check their a 3 finger style mitten $190 which seemed to have a decent amount of flexibility and still allowing my to grab and move my hand around.

I don't mind spending the cash as long as they actually work and keep my hands warm - I don't want to spend my money to carry some sort of label around if they are worthless in actually keeping my hands warm. https://www.sportchek.ca/product/331632 ... NwodohwHxg

What are you guys recommendations? Anyone have experience with this make of particular mittens? I'm sure there is folks out there that do some sort of extreme winter activities and have had decent gloves/mittens.

Like down jackets, it depends what ur looking for. Gloves like outerwear have been skyrocketing in price over recent years. I used to buy Black Diamond guide gloves (rated -29C) and were pretty much the same price at MEC for $165, a fair deal. Then last 3 years they keep going up by $10-15/yr. Most recent price $190... wtf. They had the military Hestra's for $185. Then 2 weeks later the Hestra's dropped to $119. The sales rep said peeps werent buying it - too damn expensive. I snatched a pair asap. Cant beat that price which is cheaper that the states and europe. The price is based on the material and because they get them from the states there's the currency difference. You have to consider many things... flexibility, grip, insulation, waterproofing/water resistence, goretex, etc., etc. buying a pair of gloves is like buying an expensive down jacket these days. Research, analysis, and comparison. Top end gloves tend to be Black Diamond, Hestra, Arcteryx and mid level you fall to northface, burton (good snow boarding gloves) and columbia. Stay away from Canada Goose gloves. Rip off and a huge joke.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jan 4, 2010
778 posts
463 upvotes
Waterloo
I just bought the heads costco ones today, haven't used them yet and I notice there is a slight tear on one of the fingers seams....it's defective but not a good sign for long-term use. I'm gonna return them and pay the extra $10 for the better built Roots mitten. The dexterity of the heads gloves isn't much better than the mittens and I probably will take them off anyway because they are so thick.

costco also has the more expensive down filled mitten, they seem warm but the outer shell doesn't seem durable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
tinbitz wrote: costco also has the more expensive down filled mitten, they seem warm but the outer shell doesn't seem durable.
I got a pair of the down filled, so warm for longer periods outside or shoveling snow. The palm side is leather, so should hold up well, its not like you get much wear on the outer side.

I like my leather gloves for basic every day wear.
That's my 2cents worth
Sep 15, 2012
888 posts
261 upvotes
bv
Which ones are the down filled at costco? Are you referring to the Roots ones?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Becks wrote: Have u test-driven the CG gloves?
CG gloves have never ranked top 5 in anything. Just designer crap for millennials. The only thing CG test drives is your credit/debit card. Point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)