GMAT - Verbal tutors

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2017 4:43 pm
Tags:
7 replies
Apr 13, 2010
109 posts
25 upvotes
Did mine with Kaplan. Thought the classes were okay. I liked their guarantee of redoing it if I wasn't satisfied.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
1679 posts
263 upvotes
Brampton
You can try Quantum test prep, they were recommended by at least 2 Ontario business schools directly on the University website and they work with many other ones from what I know.

They do more than verbal though (more than Gmat actually as well). I have used them before in addition to study guides and it was pretty good.
Mar 13, 2017
2 posts
hi
I would like to get more clarity on what exactly going wrong with my approach when I go for verbal practice tests. In general, when I go for an attempt to answer questions ( SC or CR or RC ) separately, I am able to finish that within time limit. But all of my strategies to attempt any verbal question in a timed test do not seem to work. If I attempt 10 to 12 questions within a time limit of 20-22 mins, I am unable to complete the test within that time, and somehow I am in a situation not to apply any techniques of SC / CR / RC. I have no clue what happens when I go for timed test.
Mentors , any suggestions - please !!

MAGNETIC SCIENCE FUN
Apr 13, 2010
109 posts
25 upvotes
g3lo wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 3:26 pm
How did you perform?
90th percentile. I think it was 40+V or something like that.
But it could also be my brain orientation. I had a weird score where I was 50th percentile on math and 90th percentile on verbal, even though I studied two to three times as much on math section. I think I'm more right sided brain.

Anyway, all to say my case is probably less linked to Kaplan and moreso to my personal profile as to why I did well on verbal. I just like Kaplan's guarantee where if I wasn't satisfied, I could retake as much as I want.
Apr 13, 2010
109 posts
25 upvotes
NeerajV756694 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 3:29 am
hi
I would like to get more clarity on what exactly going wrong with my approach when I go for verbal practice tests. In general, when I go for an attempt to answer questions ( SC or CR or RC ) separately, I am able to finish that within time limit. But all of my strategies to attempt any verbal question in a timed test do not seem to work. If I attempt 10 to 12 questions within a time limit of 20-22 mins, I am unable to complete the test within that time, and somehow I am in a situation not to apply any techniques of SC / CR / RC. I have no clue what happens when I go for timed test.
Mentors , any suggestions - please !!

MAGNETIC SCIENCE FUN
Practicing them separately on a timed session is not enough to simulate for the GMAT. Your mind has a limited storage of energy and you need to build stamina to continually adapt to different questions throughout the verbal section.

If you train and time yourself only separately with SC, CR, and RC, your brain will naturally be faster since it recognizes the patterns of each question after the next one in the same section. The difficulty of GMAT is that its unpredictable from one type of question to the next, requiring you to switch your approach after every question.