[GreenmanGaming.com] XCOM Enemy Unknown $16 & 30% off all DLC's

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2013 6:57 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
3296 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver
off-topic but does anyone at all know their business plan? how can they continuously offer these kinds of discounts and make money? where can they possibly be sourcing all the codes from for so cheap
[OP]
Dec 7, 2007
4563 posts
14621 upvotes
Toronto
SuSHi wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 2:39 am
off-topic but does anyone at all know their business plan? how can they continuously offer these kinds of discounts and make money? where can they possibly be sourcing all the codes from for so cheap
Possible explanation:

Depends on how they have set up these deals with publishers. They take a lower margin but somehow off-load that by sheer volume by doing these 25%-30% offs (especially on preorders).

lower price x quantity = some sort of profit.

Do crazy sales to build userbase and marketing while surviving off initial investor funding. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... h-playfire
Maybe Playfire is subsidizing them for now in order to help them grow the user base.
Sep 8, 2011
214 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks mate, noticed a few a games I wanted to pick up. GMG is really kicking arse with these deals!
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
16715 posts
3018 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
SuSHi wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 2:39 am
Yup. Most downloads are 50% off within what seems like a month of release anyway, I imagine they are still making a margin even when they discount things 25-35% constantly. Often the "after coupon" price is not a ton better than other stores prices.

This kind of business has very little operating expenses, pay for hosting, pay a couple of people to keep the pricebook updated and answer a few emails... they don't need to store or ship any product, have any store front, etc. Personally I think their "always a discount code" system is stupid, and I would rather they just skip the annoying codes and just make the prices on the site what they really are. Nobody is going to buy anything from them without at least 25% off, so just build it into your prices and quit making it confusing for no reason.

They would have to be pretty stupid to think that taking losses will "build a user base" that will continue to buy from them if their prices are no longer the best in the future. There is no reason at all to pay more for a steam code due to "loyalty". Their user base will last as long as their prices are the lowest... it needs to be a long term strategy.
Jul 21, 2009
411 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Picked up XCOM after missing the steam sale a few weeks back
Mar 1, 2005
945 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
mtommy79 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:38 am
New (price without voucher):

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes $7.49 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/p ... er-heroes/
Ravaged $2.49 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/p ... n/ravaged/
Hitman: Blood Money $1.99 http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/ca/en/p ... ood-money/
Ravaged is now $9.99. Blood Money $5.99. Lego $29.99. Man that was a quick sale.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6650 posts
969 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
BinaryJay wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 12:17 pm
Personally I think their "always a discount code" system is stupid, and I would rather they just skip the annoying codes and just make the prices on the site what they really are.
Those codes can only be used ones per user account. So the reason why the prices aren't adjusted to the 25%-35% codes is because you can't buy more then one game at the discount price. Of course there is a work around if you have multiple accounts but still there is a reason why they use coupon codes instead of just adjusting prices.
I have no problem pressing Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+P to save 35% off a game, not sure what is so annoying about it.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1313 posts
301 upvotes
NEWMARKET
Dead Island GOTY with the code is $4.29!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1612 posts
173 upvotes
Burlington
1. Bioshock will NOT work with any vouchers whatsoever. (Straight from GMG in an email.)
2. No Ubi Soft games in Canada... which REALLY sucks. I want AC3 and FC3 and little else right now. I have a 35% off voucher waiting to be used...
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1124 posts
18 upvotes
Farmhouse wrote:
Dec 10th, 2012 8:37 pm
Dead Island GOTY with the code is $4.29!
Wow $4.29 for Dead Island GOTY is cheap...
× < >