Off Topic Archive

Locked: GO Reserved parking slot: worth the $70?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2011 8:22 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes

GO Reserved parking slot: worth the $70?

just wondering if people have tried this route in the past and whether it was useful or just a waste of $. if one arrives early all the time, it'll obviously be less valuable, but are there other tangible benefits for this reserved slots? top of head, i can think of a few but not sure if it's worth the $70:

a) probably less prone to break in?
b) you have some certainty of your neighbor's car (and hence may be more careful when parking next to you)
c) obviously, shorter walk to the station

any other benefits other than these?

many thanks
Share:
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
valleverde007 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:25 pm
just wondering if people have tried this route in the past and whether it was useful or just a waste of $. if one arrives early all the time, it'll obviously be less valuable, but are there other tangible benefits for this reserved slots? top of head, i can think of a few but not sure if it's worth the $70:

b) you have some certainty of your neighbor's car (and hence may be more careful when parking next to you)

many thanks

It's only beneficial in my opinion if a) your working hours are outside the normal rush hour and b) someone else is paying for it. There is no better security for these spots over non-reserved ones, some lots have reserved parking pretty far away, so there is no benefit to being closer to the doors. Waste of money unless you fit the aformentioned criteria. I've commuted via Go for 15+ years and never bought a spot. Plus, you must commit for a one year period (so you can't buy a spot for just the winter) and it you do not renew you are inelgible to reapply for another year. The other issue is you can;t state which side of the lot you want to be on or where - it's completely up to go, so while you may need the north lot you could very well be stuck on the south on the far side, which give you no benefit. I'm at my station at 7:30 and always get a spot. After 8 there are none left. I structured my work hours around this to eliminate the problem.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
In some stations, you can't find a parking spot if you arrive too late.

I think that was the original intention of reserved spots, as opposed to them thinking someone would buy a reserved spot just to know who you will be parked next to every day :)
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
Do they still ticket people for parking in the fire lane?

I was with a guy who did this once. He basically just headed straight for the fire lane and said "I guess I'll get a ticket today".
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
3914 posts
40 upvotes
Austin/Markham
what if you don't park in your reserved spot?

i.e. I find a parking spot closer to the station than my reserved spot? Than my spot gets wasted that day?

Ppl might even buy up all the reserved spots and than scalp em later. I feel this whole thing is problematic, just another tier to separate peasants from serfs from lords. I think this class distinction stuff is getting ridiculous.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
193 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:38 pm
what if you don't park in your reserved spot?

i.e. I find a parking spot closer to the station than my reserved spot? Than my spot gets wasted that day?

Ppl might even buy up all the reserved spots and than scalp em later. I feel this whole thing is problematic, just another tier to separate peasants from serfs from lords. I think this class distinction stuff is getting ridiculous.

Really?

I think the serfs and lords would just drive to work and not take public transit :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
mbg wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:31 pm
Do they still ticket people for parking in the fire lane?

I was with a guy who did this once. He basically just headed straight for the fire lane and said "I guess I'll get a ticket today".

If I have an appt and am late, I will always park illegally, although not illegally like some idiots who block others from even getting out. I'll take the chance on a ticket, mid-day if you miss your train it's an hour wait until the next one. Ticket is $25, it's still cheaper then gas and parking downtown. some days you get lucky and no ticket, some days everyone gets one. It depends when you do the illegal parking - if it's during the rush chances are you'll see that Go SUV and you'll get hit. If after 10 not to much because they've already been around.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
taylyn wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:51 pm
If I have an appt and am late, I will always park illegally, although not illegally like some idiots who block others from even getting out. I'll take the chance on a ticket, mid-day if you miss your train it's an hour wait until the next one. Ticket is $25, it's still cheaper then gas and parking downtown. some days you get lucky and no ticket, some days everyone gets one. It depends when you do the illegal parking - if it's during the rush chances are you'll see that Go SUV and you'll get hit. If after 10 not to much because they've already been around.

Wow, that's a cheap ticket...

I noticed in the Oakville GO station, they are building high-rise parking. They already have a massive asphalt parking lot but I guess it's not enough.

The most insane parking lot I have ever seen is Mt Pleasant in Brampton. It's like a mile long :)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
mbg wrote:
May 11th, 2011 1:01 pm
FYI... Oakville GO parking lot. And still lots of people can't find a spot :)
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.4 ... 1&t=h&z=17

Clarkson is the largest Go lot, and because we get a lot of Oakville commuters the parking lot at capacity at about 7:50am. I like the idea of Go building up, like the Burlington station did, they have a 3 level parking garage now. That being said, you can barely get a seat now by the timeit gets to Clarkson, so building more spots and encouraging more people to use Go is not going to work unless they build longer trains and run more of them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8072 posts
43 upvotes
Oakville, ON
taylyn wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:29 pm
It's only beneficial in my opinion if a) your working hours are outside the normal rush hour and b) someone else is paying for it. There is no better security for these spots over non-reserved ones, some lots have reserved parking pretty far away, so there is no benefit to being closer to the doors. Waste of money unless you fit the aformentioned criteria. I've commuted via Go for 15+ years and never bought a spot. Plus, you must commit for a one year period (so you can't buy a spot for just the winter) and it you do not renew you are inelgible to reapply for another year. The other issue is you can;t state which side of the lot you want to be on or where - it's completely up to go, so while you may need the north lot you could very well be stuck on the south on the far side, which give you no benefit. I'm at my station at 7:30 and always get a spot. After 8 there are none left. I structured my work hours around this to eliminate the problem.

Almost correct. When you apply for a spot you go onto a waiting list. You can specify which spaces you'd like but when your name comes up on the waiting list they give you a choice of the available spots. The spots may or may not be in your preference list. If you refuse them then it's back to the bottom of the waiting list you go.

We do try to accomodate everyone's preferences but it's impossible to give a person a spot where they want if there are none open. Besides, the people ont he transfer list get first shot at any open spaces. The new customers get a choice of spots the transfers left.

You can cancel before a year if you have a good reason. We've done this a lot for things like job losses, mat leaves, etc etc. The ineligibility part is usually only done for people who are being cancelled because of non-payments or they owe too much in service fees.
I noticed in the Oakville GO station, they are building high-rise parking. They already have a massive asphalt parking lot but I guess it's not enough
There is no special security for reserved spaces, it's just that at most, not all of the stations the reserved is close to the station itself.
It's going to be big enough to lose the davis drive parking and add several hundred more spaces.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8072 posts
43 upvotes
Oakville, ON
taylyn wrote:
May 11th, 2011 1:07 pm
Clarkson is the largest Go lot, and because we get a lot of Oakville commuters the parking lot at capacity at about 7:50am. I like the idea of Go building up, like the Burlington station did, they have a 3 level parking garage now. That being said, you can barely get a seat now by the timeit gets to Clarkson, so building more spots and encouraging more people to use Go is not going to work unless they build longer trains and run more of them.

There will be more trains eventually because the trains can't be any longer than 12 cars. Any longer and the platforms couldn't handle them plus the locos are designed to pull 12 and only 12 cars.

I get on at Oakville and always get a seat. :razz:
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
king_george wrote:
May 11th, 2011 1:10 pm
There will be more trains eventually because the trains can't be any longer than 12 cars. Any longer and the platforms couldn't handle them plus the locos are designed to pull 12 and only 12 cars.

I get on at Oakville and always get a seat. :razz:
Because your train probably originates at Oakville lol I actually thought the reason for all the construction was to lengthen the stations so that it COULD accommodate trains longer than 12 cars in future? Who knows, Clarkson has been under construction for over a year and we have no idea what they are doing :) (I actually use the Clarkson express in the Am and get a seat, not so much luck at the end of the day). But seeing as it's all express, standing for 18 min is not so bad...
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2008
2546 posts
144 upvotes
valleverde007 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:25 pm

many thanks
The biggest benefit is not having to worry about finding a spot everyday.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
thanks guys. i do notice that the stations do fill up by 8am (no matter what station) in terms of parking. i guess it's the "norm" that there's > cars than lots in all stations. there was one time i had to ride the train at noon and was "lucky" to find one spot free. but that time, i also saw a couple of cars already parked illegally (but not ticketed) - eg. in areas where cars would normally pass/people would normally walk to the go station.

i asked about this and it's actually a 6 mos contract (not 1yr) and if you cancel after 6 mos, then there's no penalty or need for waiting time. i guess most of your statements boil down to: can you make it to the station by 8am or earlier. if not on most days, then might as well "buy" $70 for peace of mind in parking.

what i did notice in that station i take most often is: a) reserved parking slots are abundant, but b) people still park a lot on the illegal spaces -- i sometimes take the odd hour trains home where the lots are still full (eg. leave union at noon to 3pm and arrive at destination prior to afternoon rush hour).

many thanks
× < >