Off Topic Archive

Locked: GO Reserved parking slot: worth the $70?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2011 8:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
valleverde007 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 12:25 pm
just wondering if people have tried this route in the past and whether it was useful or just a waste of $. if one arrives early all the time, it'll obviously be less valuable, but are there other tangible benefits for this reserved slots? top of head, i can think of a few but not sure if it's worth the $70:

a) probably less prone to break in?
b) you have some certainty of your neighbor's car (and hence may be more careful when parking next to you)
c) obviously, shorter walk to the station

any other benefits other than these?

many thanks
Not worth it, $70 Plus the $250-300 for the monthly pass, it then becomes cheaper and quicker to drive to the city and pay for parking.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
taylyn wrote:
May 11th, 2011 1:16 pm
Because your train probably originates at Oakville lol I actually thought the reason for all the construction was to lengthen the stations so that it COULD accommodate trains longer than 12 cars in future? Who knows, Clarkson has been under construction for over a year and we have no idea what they are doing :) (I actually use the Clarkson express in the Am and get a seat, not so much luck at the end of the day). But seeing as it's all express, standing for 18 min is not so bad...

Yeah they lengthened them to accomodate 12 cars. The platforms in Clarkson were built back in the 70s when ten cars was a lot. The station is also becoming handicapped accessible too where before it was one of the few stations that couldn't accomodate wheelchairs and other mobility devices. They have to construct ramps for each track and a couple of new elevators (which will be always crowded with able-bodied folks > :( ).

You guys did get a new track though to accomodate more trains when they become available.

Wave to me tomorrow :lol: I take the 6:55 or 7:15.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
xstatik wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:14 pm
Not worth it, $70 Plus the $250-300 for the monthly pass, it then becomes cheaper and quicker to drive to the city and pay for parking.

Cheaper depending on where you park but never ever quicker. I get from Oakville to Union in 18 to 25 minutes. No chance that's possible on any road in the morning or evening rushes.
Red Green
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
king_george wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:43 pm
Cheaper depending on where you park but never ever quicker. I get from Oakville to Union in 18 to 25 minutes. No chance that's possible on any road in the morning or evening rushes.

huh? i thought oakville to union, at best, was a 28 min ride... im checking the timetable and even the 745 express gets you to union at 813... no stops...
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4757 posts
411 upvotes
Scarborough
Yeah construction is already underway at many GO locations to add parking spaces, but they all become full anyways :lol:

People just love GO Transit I guess, lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
valleverde007 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:50 pm
huh? i thought oakville to union, at best, was a 28 min ride... im checking the timetable and even the 745 express gets you to union at 813... no stops...

Oopsie, I stand corrected and plead guilty to typing without reading.. :|

You are correct I should have said 28 to 35, not 18 to 25. Stupid sausage fingers and a netbook keyboard.....

:confused:
Red Green
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3479 posts
106 upvotes
Mississauga
transitguy1 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:52 pm
Yeah construction is already underway at many GO locations to add parking spaces, but they all become full anyways :lol:

I can't wait for that multi-deck car park to be completed at Erindale Station, because it is finally getting a proper bus loop as part of the project!
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10198 posts
137 upvotes
transitguy1 wrote:
May 11th, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, one advantage is that the ticket prices haven't gone up yet this year, even though the fuel prices have,

Strange, though...it doesn't seem to be as overcrowded as it was the last time gas prices went high.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
mbg wrote:
May 11th, 2011 7:12 pm
Well, one advantage is that the ticket prices haven't gone up yet this year, even though the fuel prices have,

Strange, though...it doesn't seem to be as overcrowded as it was the last time gas prices went high.

One factor is the longer trains I think. Ridership went up every year for the last 3 years.

GO has a fuel contract that lasts till 2012 I think. It's a set price negotiated at the time of signing the contract. I wish I could do that. :|
Red Green
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10198 posts
137 upvotes
king_george wrote:
May 11th, 2011 7:48 pm
One factor is the longer trains I think. Ridership went up every year for the last 3 years.
Oh... I am only talking about the line I have experience with (with respect to less overcrowding), which is the Georgetown line. I think they are still using 10-car trains on that line, right?
GO has a fuel contract that lasts till 2012 I think. It's a set price negotiated at the time of signing the contract. I wish I could do that. :|

It's good for the system to have that kind of stability... it's a good promotional tool to see stable transit prices when gas prices are so volatile :)

I'm surprised prices didn't go up this year yet, though... I'd have expected at least an inflationary increase, although I guess they did go up more than inflation the last two years.