• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 3:17 pm
42 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1609 posts
703 upvotes
Hamilton
Good pay, I bet this gets thousands of applications.
Dec 11, 2013
167 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:25 pm
Yep $40/h for a mall cop.
So apply for it.
Sep 10, 2017
40 posts
16 upvotes
Wonder what kind of interview process and tests candidates got to go through, but $35/hr to stand around a GO train station? Yea sounds like its worth every penny.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1242 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
$80k to start is a great salary but I wonder what the career growth aspects are once taking this job. I'd be happy with $80k for a couple years but I'd want to figure out how to grow that number and not just through union mandated raises.

The way that people with income are taxed in this province $80k won't stretch that far.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36780 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
To be fair... it is police work.
Go transit security are special constables. Thus they are sworn peace officers who have limited police powers.

They are expected to arrest and detain people for illegal activities on go transit property. Also they have the rights to enforce the criminal code on go transit property.

They have rights given to them that ordinary citizens do not posess. For example they can carry oc (pepper) spray. Also with such they can arrest and detain on reasonable grounds, which security guards cannot do. A security guard has extremely limited powers of citizens arrest. Thats not the case with go transit security.

They actually have to pass the same test/qualifications that a police officer must pass.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/abou ... fault.aspx

As you can see an oacp is required.

They're looking for cops without a gun... so there is a high degree of qualification and work involved... imagine arresting a cocaine dealer outside union station. Or breaking up a knife fight.
A security guard can run away and call the cops... a special constable has a sworn duty to step in (with only pepper spray and a stick).

And the work isnt easy (it only lookslike it). As you can see demonstrated in this thread... no one respects transity security officers let alone security officers in general. Few mnkw they are sworn peace officers and assumes themunder derogatory terms like "mall cop".
Now imagine some ruffian who gets a $300 ticket for not paying his fare.
"Youre just a mall cop fck off! You have no right to give me a ticket".
Then he takes a swipe at him bc its only a "mall cop" and he likes getting into fights for fun...
Now go transit officer has to arrest him for punching him. Meanwhile the guy screams "help help you have no right to handcuff me"
Mean while 40 people gather around taking videos screaming "let him go you have no right to arrest him youre just a mall cop!"

This is what transit special constables have to go through...
This is a law enforcement job. I bet if magically I was able to automatically give this job to anyone in this thread... that 99.9 % of you would get fired the first week. Thats after pissing your pants after one confrontation...
I put 99.9% incase anyone in this thread is an aspiring/former/current police officer, or someone with military background, or just a tough guy. But common... See how cool you would be if you walked in on a knife fight.
Aug 31, 2017
222 posts
53 upvotes
Octavius wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 12:00 am
That is an insane amount of money to pay someone for this type of work.
Nothing insane about it. Besides, training rate is $20/hour - they're basically looking for people for the long term
Sep 6, 2011
183 posts
149 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:54 am
To be fair... it is police work.
Yup, the qualification required is almost police work level, without a gun. $35.24 in this case is underpaid. I wouldn't do this kind of work for $35.24 an hour.

For people saying $35.24 is too much, I am NOT sorry that you do not value your time and whatever you are doing is not paying your worth. Raise yourself instead of crapping on others.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4862 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It’s alright, because it’s not a office job or doesn’t require university, that weeds out a lot of applicants
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2089 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
isgaard wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 1:37 pm
Yup, the qualification required is almost police work level, without a gun. $35.24 in this case is underpaid. I wouldn't do this kind of work for $35.24 an hour.

For people saying $35.24 is too much, I am NOT sorry that you do not value your time and whatever you are doing is not paying your worth. Raise yourself instead of crapping on others.
Regardless of how much anyone values their time, they get paid by market rate. Metrolinx is a crown corporation with a huge net loss. Who do you think will be paying for that loss? By your logic they can be paid $100/hour and they will STILL be underpaid because everyone else should raise themselves.

Btw, do you agree with the new minimum wage increase? If yes, then you are a hypocrite because people should be paid by raising themselves, not because the government tells the employers that they should pay $xx/hour.