Tags:
None
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
8789 posts
1504 upvotes
Toronto
Leave it to the TTC to implement systems that don't work.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15027 posts
7375 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wow. One guy. One post more than 3 months ago. Still no comments. That probably says more about how well the system works for the vast majority of customers than $1million of advertising by GO and TTC.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
I like the Presto card, but I have to agree that the top-up system sucks. I made a daily round trip from Union to Oakville for two months a little while ago, and would top up at the beginning of the month. Somehow I went over by around 50 cents and figured that loading up $175 would take care of that like on any other stored-value card. Nope. I got the same error that dude did and had to go wait in line for 10 minutes so the GO employee could spend 5 seconds clearing it before I could use my money. Half-assed implementation.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
40 upvotes
How is having to tap of card when you get on and get off every time, more convenient than having a monthly pass that you show when they do random checks? Is Presto supposed to replace GO monthly passes in the future?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16371 posts
2411 upvotes
Toronto
JimG wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:21 pm
How is having to tap of card when you get on and get off every time, more convenient than having a monthly pass that you show when they do random checks? Is Presto supposed to replace GO monthly passes in the future?

You can set a 'home' station (or route?) which means you only have to tap where you get on. It'll assume you got off at your station unless you tap off somewhere else. The guys on the train have Presto readers now, so you're safe there too.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2022 posts
40 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:23 pm
You can set a 'home' station (or route?) which means you only have to tap where you get on. It'll assume you got off at your station unless you tap off somewhere else. The guys on the train have Presto readers now, so you're safe there too.

Okay, that makes it a bit better. I don't understand how this pricing works though.
Adults:
With the built-in loyalty program, adults will receive fare discounts similar to the discounts currently offered with GO adult 10-ride tickets and monthly passes.

If you take the same GO trip each time you travel within a calendar month, your GO fare* will be:
• Rides 1 – 35, 7.5%** of the single adult GO fare
• Rides 36 – 40, 87.5%** of the single adult GO fare
• Rides 41+, 100%** of the single adult GO fare

If you do not take the exact same trip each time you travel on GO within a calendar month, your first 35 rides on GO will be 7.5%** of the single adult GO fare*. For rides 36 and onwards, your discount will be based on the value of the rides you’ve taken that month.
If it's the first of the month and I go from Oakville to Burlington, do I pay full price or the 7.5% off price? How will they know that I take the same trip everyday to apply the discount till I've actually taken the trips and the month is over? Do you get rebated back the appropriate discount or something?

Also if I take the same Oakville to Burlington trip M-F for work, but then I decide to go to Toronto one weekend, do I lose the 36+ rides discount because I didn't take the exact same trip I normally do?
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
61 upvotes
Burlington
JimG wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:44 pm

Also if I take the same Oakville to Burlington trip M-F for work, but then I decide to go to Toronto one weekend, do I lose the 36+ rides discount because I didn't take the exact same trip I normally do?

A monthly pass basically pays for itself after X trips, after which any further trips should be considered "free". That is what part 1 is saying if you treat Presto like a regular monthly pass.

It would be better to think of part 2 as being more of a monthly pass for the entire GO system, whereby you still get a discount for frequent travel but because you are paying different fares each time the effective savings don't add up to 100% after trip 36.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
2853 posts
534 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:01 pm
I like the Presto card, but I have to agree that the top-up system sucks. I made a daily round trip from Union to Oakville for two months a little while ago, and would top up at the beginning of the month. Somehow I went over by around 50 cents and figured that loading up $175 would take care of that like on any other stored-value card. Nope. I got the same error that dude did and had to go wait in line for 10 minutes so the GO employee could spend 5 seconds clearing it before I could use my money. Half-assed implementation.

they should consider adopting Hong Kong's system... you are allowed to go over but the next time you refill, it gets deducted. So, like if you only have $2 on the card and the ride is $5, it will go through but when you refill the card to $20, you only get $17 because of the $3 you owed on the previous ride.
[OP]
Nov 14, 2003
200 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyJo82 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 8:39 am
they should consider adopting Hong Kong's system... you are allowed to go over but the next time you refill, it gets deducted. So, like if you only have $2 on the card and the ride is $5, it will go through but when you refill the card to $20, you only get $17 because of the $3 you owed on the previous ride.
EXACTLY how it should work! It makes sense.

I topped up online Saturday but my card stopped working Monday afternoon because Presto hadn't made the transaction.
They have taken finally the $50 from Mastercard 2 days later. Now the idiots at Presto say I have to go and pay the "negative balance" in person. They caused the problem, but they don't take it off the new money. They make me jump through hoops and pay a penalty fee (25 cents) This system is better why...? Going back to paper tickets for GO.
[OP]
Nov 14, 2003
200 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 10:01 pm
Wow. One guy. One post more than 3 months ago. Still no comments. That probably says more about how well the system works for the vast majority of customers than $1million of advertising by GO and TTC.

He's behind with moderating the posts.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15027 posts
7375 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Marc L wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 10:22 am
He's behind with moderating the posts.
Which says yet more about how seriously even "he" considers the matter to be. (Between the two of you, you can't find a few minutes in 3+ months to add comments, even if you have to fake them?)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7455 posts
1234 upvotes
I see your edit ... to add gta to the title you have to click edit then advanced edit ...
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2007 upvotes
Nowhere
vr6man25 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 10:29 am
this thread is about PRESTO not ttc

But RFDers always blame the TTC. Or I should say the union, because everything is the union's fault.