GO Transit and TTC Users Beware of Presto

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2011 9:41 am
Tags:
None
Oct 13, 2003
240 posts
11 upvotes
It sucks because Accenture is the company behind it but they're good at fooling governments and corporations into buying their services.
chinesedevil wrote:
Mar 21st, 2011 9:44 pm
Leave it to the TTC to implement systems that don't work.

Strange... I've read here that the TTC was being stupid not buying into Presto junk.
Aug 18, 2005
17 posts
1 upvote
How does the Presto work in TTC? Do they deduct the cash amount of $3 when you tap? Or by the least token value of $2.50?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2683 posts
739 upvotes
The TTC is resisting full adoption of the Presto card system because the "transaction cost" per ride is something like 8%... so they've implemented it in a half baked way, but the Presto system says "it works with the TTC"... and because the TTC isn't full-on adopting it, Mississauga Transit hasn't fully adopted it either... so on all the participating transit systems, you can't use it at ALL on Mississauga or Brampton yet, even though they've installed the readers on buses, and on TTC, only SELECT stations have Presto card readers, and no surface vehicles have active Presto card readers yet.

In short, because the TTC hasn't implemented the system fully, it's not fully implemented anywhere, except for GO Transit.

If what I hear is true (that the fee to the TTC per ride is 8%) I don't blame theTTC for looking for an alternative with lower per-transaction costs.

For me, an infrequent rider of both TTC and Go Transit, it is convenient for me to get on at College Station, get off at Union or Islington then use the presto again for Go to Burlington to visit family, or use Mississauga transit tickets to get to work... but if Mississauga would just get off the pot and finish THEIR implementation, they could wag their finger at the TTC for being tardy... but the TTC HAS Presto service at Kipling and Islington stations (where the MiWay vehicles connect to the TTC) so I don't know what their excuse is.

So, its the TTC's fault for not implementing it more fully, but it's NOT the TTC's fault for the quirks and glitches... but whoever's fault it is for the high transaction fees, I say we try a little communism and "nationalize" the system and cut out the transaction fees altogether.

EDIT I just read an article on thestar.com that states that the Presto service on the TTC was paid for by the province, so the TTC / City of Toronto hasn't done pretty much ANYTHING to get this system in place. I do bristle at the idea of a private company getting this monopoly / lucrative contract and gouging the publicly funded transit systems with unreasonably high rates... the "consultants" must be named "Tony Soprano's Transit Consulting Limited."
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5686 posts
756 upvotes
Scarborough
I think it is being implemented pre-maturely....they should've fixed the problems before going on with it.....it will be frustration for the transit employees, as well as the ridership......

Now it will only confuse riders, and front line transit employees will (have to) bear the grunt again :facepalm:

Good ole passes & fare boxes still the best way IMO. Its been running fine for decades. No need to change it now just for removing minor inconveniences.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17689 posts
2903 upvotes
Toronto
lorax1284 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2011 9:08 pm
The TTC is resisting full adoption of the Presto card system because the "transaction cost" per ride is something like 8%... so they've implemented it in a half baked way, but the Presto system says "it works with the TTC"... and because the TTC isn't full-on adopting it, Mississauga Transit hasn't fully adopted it either... so on all the participating transit systems, you can't use it at ALL on Mississauga or Brampton yet, even though they've installed the readers on buses, and on TTC, only SELECT stations have Presto card readers, and no surface vehicles have active Presto card readers yet.

In short, because the TTC hasn't implemented the system fully, it's not fully implemented anywhere, except for GO Transit.

It's fully implemented on Oakville transit.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17689 posts
2903 upvotes
Toronto
transitguy1 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2011 11:48 am
I think it is being implemented pre-maturely....they should've fixed the problems before going on with it.....it will be frustration for the transit employees, as well as the ridership......

Now it will only confuse riders, and front line transit employees will (have to) bear the grunt again :facepalm:

Good ole passes & fare boxes still the best way IMO. Its been running fine for decades. No need to change it now just for removing minor inconveniences.

That or they could have just flat-out copied the system used in Montreal, NYC, the UK, or any of the other places where it's been working for close to a decade. Fare boxes are useless, and passes aren't as convenient.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Nov 28, 2011
1 posts
On my 3rd card trying to replace a lost one, they have $40 on these cards now and NONE work~~ call "customer service" and no one can help, ask for a manager and was told I cant talk to them, they have to call me in 2 DAYS!!!! They finally admitted my problem was all their fault and they will send me a voucher...I WANT MY STUPID MONEY BACK NOT YOUR DAMN REPLACEMENT CARD. Back to bus tickets for me!