• Mar 16th, 2016 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
UPS Expedited. You'll be paying taxes on the $90 but it works out to basically the same as USPS except that it'll show up faster.

Also make sure you set up an account with UPS otherwise they'll charge you a $10 advancement fee.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
Surprised to read this. I guess the recommendation is to pay a smaller fee, but to pay (is this it?) because generally the RFD crowd would tell you USPS all the way.
With USPS, I find it can slip through without the extra fees. At least my own experience, purchasing goods from the U.S. ... Stuff shows up, I don't pay a cent. Not always, but some times.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Usps.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto, ON
USPS all the way.

UPS is just in the business of ripping off Canadians with their brokerage fees whenever they get the chance, there is no way I would support that.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6306 upvotes
Prince George
What Raptors said. UPS Expedited in your case. It's only UPS Standard that reams you on the brokerage fees.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: Surprised to read this. I guess the recommendation is to pay a smaller fee, but to pay (is this it?) because generally the RFD crowd would tell you USPS all the way.
I've never understood why. I avoid USPS where I can. They're far slower, are inept in terms of actually charging the fee when they do (and they quite frequently do), and they're just generally a pain to deal with.
The only time I deal with them is international shipments from Asia or if it's a moderately low value. Anything over $100 I skip them entirely.
crystallight wrote: I've never heard of this advancement fee and a google search doesn't come up with it. Anyone else have experience with this? Or maybe it's usually called another name?
Sorry, UPS calls it a bond fee. Same idea though.
Hilariously... it's in the link you posted.

Bond Fees
Customers are responsible for payment of duties and taxes. When funds are not provided in advance by the customer, and UPS must post a bond to allow UPS shipments to be released in advance of payment to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $6.00 on UPS Standard®; minimum $10 on UPS Worldwide Express Plus, UPS Worldwide Express, UPS Worldwide Express Freight, UPS Worldwide Express Saver and UPS Worldwide Expedited) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged. To avoid bond fees, call 1-800-PICK-UPS and ask about our Prepayment or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) plans.

crystallight wrote: I'm to too sure if USPS even has fees, but I'm trying to figure out if the cheaper/no brokerage fees of USPS more then outweighs its higher initial shipping cost.
They frequently do.
Banned
Jul 9, 2015
12 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
If you don't mind driving to Mississauga to pick up your package you could give cross border pickups a try. You'll avoid all the brokerage fees and it's usually a lot cheaper to ship something to an address in the US rather than to a Canadian address. A lot of times it's completely free with a lot of sites. Their rates are quite reasonable. I use them whenever I get something from the US.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
USPS 100%. I have yet to pay any kind of fee.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6306 upvotes
Prince George
crystallight wrote: Well I did a breakdown of the costs 2 posts above yours and USPS won't be as cheap as UPS when all the costs are factored in.
I think he meant that often, for low valued packages, Canada Post doesn't bother to collect the $10 + duty & taxes. The threshold used to be about $100, give or take, so you're just on the edge. Hard to say whether you'd have to pay or not.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
crystallight wrote: Thanks. Have you personally set up an account and avoided the bond fee and/or other fees? I'm guessing the order will need to ship and me given the shipping info before I can prepay.
Sure have. I have accounts at all major couriers for this.
Make sure you're set up well before the shipment occurs as it can take a couple days to set up.
Some couriers allow you to call in with a credit card immediately but don't count on it.
Do I have this correct for the following?
Looks about right. Keep in mind that brokerage fees are also subject to GST/PST/HST/etc.
Also subtract the bond fee once you have an account.
As for USPS, I did more research and it seems they don't charge a brokerage fee as they hand it off to Canada Post to deliver it. But Canada Post (or maybe Customs) charges an amount about $10 to process this. I couldn't find any concrete information on this, so if anyone knows, please share. So USPS would basically cost:
Canada Post does indeed charge a $10 brokerage fee.
But they seem to waive packages more often.
So you're looking at $47 via UPS Expedited or $42 via USPS with a potential $10+value GST door fee.

If it was me, I'd go with UPS Expedited mostly because I dislike Canada Post but USPS is slightly cheaper on average if you're willing to gamble.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
crystallight wrote: Thanks, so basically call them now and set up an account, and when I get the shipping info then call them back to process payment (or maybe do it online if it lets me do that).
Yup.
But shouldn't it be $47 via UPS Expedited or $53 via USPS with a potential $10+value GST door fee?
I'm using your numbers above:

USPS Priority International = $41.84 (given on retailers website)
Canada Post/Canada Customs processing fee = $10
+ Canada HST ($90 x 13%) = $11.70
Total = $63.54

Canada Post isn't 100% guaranteed to charge compared to a regular courier so all you might pay is $41.84.
The $10+11.70 could potentially be optional.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
crystallight wrote: I understand that the $10 might be optional since you said they often waive it (for whatever reason), but isn't the $11.70 mandatory given it's a tax?
Nope. Waiving it in this case means everything.
You only pay $10 IF they charge you taxes.
No taxes = no fees either.
So regardless of what courier (UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc), if the goods cross the border to get into Canada, it gets taxed, no?
As a rule, Everyone buy USPS/CP will charge taxes and fees (as per whatever the gov't rules are, they won't charge you on a $10 package for example)
USPS/CP for some reason don't always charge it.
When they do though it's much more of a pain in the butt. I've now lost 3 packages because they don't card me for some reason and their new tracking system doesn't recognize international tracking numbers.
So they went back to sender. But they didn't since USPS lost the packages.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
crystallight wrote: What do you mean by they didn't card you?
If they miss delivery or hold the package, they're supposed to give you a card with the tracking details and instructions on what to do next.
They didn't.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1525 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
I've only ever had to pay taxes with USPS, if that. UPS on the other hand has screwed me many times.

This is a no brainer for me based on real world experience - USPS.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
USPS if ground...
UPS if air expedited - brokerage, duty all included.
Mar 10, 2016
37 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I always use US Post.. unless I need to get it fast.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)