PC & Video Games

God of War Release Date Officially Confirmed

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2018 12:25 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
Redmask wrote: Yeah wow, its rare to see that kind of universal praise. Polygon gave it a perfect score even. I'm picking it up for sure.

Sony is killing it this generation, Spider-Man this year too. Just nuts.
Guys huge PSA: DO NOT WATCH ANY REVIEWS ABOUT GOD OF WAR!

Do yourselves a favor and go into the game blind. People are calling this game the best game Sony has ever created. I was not expecting this game to get the level of praise that it has!

Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
Jeeez did not expect the scores to be THIS good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: Guys huge PSA: DO NOT WATCH ANY REVIEWS ABOUT GOD OF WAR!

Do yourselves a favor and go into the game blind. People are calling this game the best game Sony has ever created. I was not expecting this game to get the level of praise that it has!
I usually avoid game previews and video reviews for this exact reason. They give away and spoil way too much. I don't watch movie trailers either for the same reason.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
This game was not on my radar at all, I was never a God of War guy, I only ever tried the first one that came out on PS3 and I ended up bouncing off of it it pretty quickly.

However these reviews, holy crap, I honestly just thought this game was some linear hack and slash type QTE fest like what I had played previously, obviously not.

I think I may benefit from going in almost totally blind,
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
8824 posts
1219 upvotes
After reading the reviews, I must say, I'm very tempted to get this game.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I usually avoid game previews and video reviews for this exact reason. They give away and spoil way too much. I don't watch movie trailers either for the same reason.
I'm not gonna lie as a trophy/achievement hunter I'm usually looking up guides on the best way or strategy to get the trophies. Sometimes I do wish that achievements didn't exist and we could just go back to playing games just for fun but for this game I think I will definitely be going in blind just for the experience.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: This game was not on my radar at all, I was never a God of War guy, I only ever tried the first one that came out on PS3 and I ended up bouncing off of it it pretty quickly.

However these reviews, holy crap, I honestly just thought this game was some linear hack and slash type QTE fest like what I had played previously, obviously not.
I had to do a quick search to make sure I wasn't crazy but I recalled you being a big fan of Ryse. How in the world can you call GOW3 a linear hack and slash QTE fest but then enjoy Ryse so much to the point of playing it multiple times?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: I'm not gonna lie as a trophy/achievement hunter I'm usually looking up guides on the best way or strategy to get the trophies. Sometimes I do wish that achievements didn't exist and we could just go back to playing games just for fun but for this game I think I will definitely be going in blind just for the experience.
lol you could just ignore them you know. I typically don't pay attention to them, the rare exception being in a game like Uncharted where it gives you them for using certain weapons or doing special kills through your campaign play. When they involve collectibles or redoing things multiple times though I can't be bothered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: I had to do a quick search to make sure I wasn't crazy but I recalled you being a big fan of Ryse. How in the world can you call GOW3 a linear hack and slash QTE fest but then enjoy Ryse so much to the point of playing it multiple times?
I'm not saying I don't enjoy those types of games, but the circumstances were obviously different one being a 4 hour graphical showcase launch game with terrible reviews (resulting in low expectations) when I was pining for something to play and the catalog was limited and the other being a highly rated, heavily hyped lengthier mid generation game when I had a huge backlog of things to play.

God of War 3 also came out at a time when I was simply buying every game with with a high rating at launch a then trading them in when I was finished with them, If they didn't grab me right away they'd be gone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I'm not saying I don't enjoy those types of games, but the circumstances were obviously different one being a 4 hour graphical showcase launch game with terrible reviews (resulting in low expectations) when I was pining for something to play and the catalog was limited and the other being a highly rated, heavily hyped lengthier mid generation game when I had a huge backlog of things to play.

God of War 3 also came out at a time when I was simply buying every game with with a high rating at launch a then trading them in when I was finished with them, If they didn't grab me right away they'd be gone.
Since it's so cheap on sale these days you should really give GOW3 on PS4 another go. It's not a long game at all and can be beat in under 10 hours. It doesn't sound like you gave it a fair chance back then and I bet you'd enjoy the PS4 remaster.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Metacritic review score now up to 95 which is rare to have it go up this late.

I'm guessing it'll settle at 94 but very impressive nonetheless.

This is my most anticipated game this year!!
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
I am not watching any God of War videos until I play it. I am going into this game as blind as possible. I don't think I have ever seen this much hype and universal praise for a game ever!

I am so stoked! Nornally I like to wait for a sale on single player games since there's no rush to play them but I don't think I'll be able to resist this one. Kicking myself so hard for not having pre-ordered this game during e3 last year.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
God of War (PS4) will be the first God of War in the franchise without nudity and without the sex minigame.
Perhaps due to the change from Greek mythology to Norse mythology it went with a tamer direction.

source:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.as ... God+of+War
https://www.resetera.com/threads/god-of ... ers.12424/
Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language
Rating Summary: This is an action-adventure game in which players assume the role of half-human, half-god-like Kratos as he battles supernatural forces with his son. From an over-the-shoulder perspective, players travel through the Norse wilderness and use axes, double-chained blades, and swords to battle various enemies (e.g., rival gods/demigods, monsters, dragons, skeleton warriors). Combat is frequent and often bloody, with characters punching and kicking each other repeatedly, using bladed weapons to slash/stab/impale enemies. Larger enemies and bosses are dispatched in more intense sequences of violence: Kratos slashing and stabbing a dragon's tongue; a character using an axe to hook and tear off an ogre's jaw. During one sequence, players decapitate (off-screen) an imprisoned character and carry the severed head around; headless corpses also appear in other scenes. The words “f**k” and “a*shole” appear in the dialogue.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: I am so stoked! Nornally I like to wait for a sale on single player games since there's no rush to play them but I don't think I'll be able to resist this one. Kicking myself so hard for not having pre-ordered this game during e3 last year.
I mean absolutely no one could've predicted a complete overhaul of the series would've turned out this positive. This is a very rare exception where gambling on a pre order actually paid off but don't let that make you forget the countless times it wasn't worth it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: God of War (PS4) will be the first God of War in the franchise without nudity and without the sex minigame.
Perhaps due to the change from Greek mythology to Norse mythology it went with a tamer direction.

source:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.as ... God+of+War
https://www.resetera.com/threads/god-of ... ers.12424/
Ummm there was no sex game in Ascension either (to my disappointment).
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I mean absolutely no one could've predicted a complete overhaul of the series would've turned out this positive. This is a very rare exception where gambling on a pre order actually paid off but don't let that make you forget the countless times it wasn't worth it
Your'e absolutely right. For every game you pre-order you're bound to get burned more often than not. Even with God of War we still don't know what makes it so great from the footage we have seen so we are only going off of what the reviewers are saying but hopefully it really does blow us away.

I am trying to figure out how to play this game. I am in the market for a 4K HDR TV or monitor and am very very close to buying the Samsung MU6300 this friday. The only thing holding me back is waiting for the reviews next month of this year's offerings to see if they are worth the wait. If you're gonna spend money on a TV what's another month right?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Bryson wrote: Your'e absolutely right. For every game you pre-order you're bound to get burned more often than not. Even with God of War we still don't know what makes it so great from the footage we have seen so we are only going off of what the reviewers are saying but hopefully it really does blow us away.

I am trying to figure out how to play this game. I am in the market for a 4K HDR TV or monitor and am very very close to buying the Samsung MU6300 this friday. The only thing holding me back is waiting for the reviews next month of this year's offerings to see if they are worth the wait. If you're gonna spend money on a TV what's another month right?
I do not see any harm in playing the pre-order game because it can be easily returned. Every year with the E3 promos, I pre-order a slew of titles on both PS4 and Xbox One. And then as they come up, if they are crap, they get returned. I look for which platform has the best review, performance etc. and return the other one.

This game is not really the showcase game for 4K/HDR according to Digital Foundry. However, as with any electronics purchase, there is always something next week, next month, next year. Find something you are happy with at a price you can live with and go with it. The unit you are looking at is entry and not that expensive. So either pull the trigger or save for something 2 to 3 times its cost for a better picture, IF that matters to you.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote: I do not see any harm in playing the pre-order game because it can be easily returned. Every year with the E3 promos, I pre-order a slew of titles on both PS4 and Xbox One. And then as they come up, if they are crap, they get returned. I look for which platform has the best review, performance etc. and return the other one.

This game is not really the showcase game for 4K/HDR according to Digital Foundry. However, as with any electronics purchase, there is always something next week, next month, next year. Find something you are happy with at a price you can live with and go with it. The unit you are looking at is entry and not that expensive. So either pull the trigger or save for something 2 to 3 times its cost for a better picture, IF that matters to you.
Which games did you pre-order from the E3 promos? Do you get charged form the moment you pre-order or when the game gets released and shipped to you or whatever? Ya I just bought my Pro and Xbox last year so I was already too busy with my backlog on top of the huge amount of games being released last year like HZD, Nier, BOTW, etc.. to even think about what I would be playing this year. I would never pre-order a game from EA for example but some of the games being released this year are from companies with good track records like Detroit Become Human from Quantic Dream and Spider-Man from Insomniac. Hopefully it's not too late to pre-order the latter.

I hear what you are saying on the TVs but the new ones are literally around the corner. In the case of the MU6300 the HDR is limited because of the lack of wide color gamut and the input lag is much improved from it's predecessor the KU6300 so I'm an curious to see how much more this year model is improved if at all. The other issue is that what I really want is a monitor which is simply better when it comes to competitive gaming but they are way overpriced despite being smaller, not as good image quality or as many features as a TV so it's not always as easy as just saying by this or buy that. My friends used to think I was crazy back when I was trying to buy a TV I went through so many LCDs and Plasmas lol. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, plus I do enjoy playing with the latest gadgets and tech.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
Bryson wrote: Which games did you pre-order from the E3 promos? Do you get charged form the moment you pre-order or when the game gets released and shipped to you or whatever? Ya I just bought my Pro and Xbox last year so I was already too busy with my backlog on top of the huge amount of games being released last year like HZD, Nier, BOTW, etc.. to even think about what I would be playing this year. I would never pre-order a game from EA for example but some of the games being released this year are from companies with good track records like Detroit Become Human from Quantic Dream and Spider-Man from Insomniac. Hopefully it's not too late to pre-order the latter.

I hear what you are saying on the TVs but the new ones are literally around the corner. In the case of the MU6300 the HDR is limited because of the lack of wide color gamut and the input lag is much improved from it's predecessor the KU6300 so I'm an curious to see how much more this year model is improved if at all. The other issue is that what I really want is a monitor which is simply better when it comes to competitive gaming but they are way overpriced despite being smaller, not as good image quality or as many features as a TV so it's not always as easy as just saying by this or buy that. My friends used to think I was crazy back when I was trying to buy a TV I went through so many LCDs and Plasmas lol. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, plus I do enjoy playing with the latest gadgets and tech.
I would like to say I do not get sucked into the E3 hype machine but every year I do. So I end up pre-ordering almost everything I can. I have Ps4 Pro and Xbox One X. I game on a JVC 4k/HDR projector on a 115 inch screen complete with 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos surround. You do not get charged until the games are released, so there are no downsides unless you are not able to return a game to a store or mail back to Amazon. Being a Prime member, there is no charge for returns. In most cases, I have tried to take advantage of really good pricing. For example, I ended up with Sea of Thieves for $31.00 thanks to pre-ordering 2 years ago when it was listed on Amazon for $39.99 less 30% during E3 promo. I think I still have a pre-order for Crackdown 3 for $39.99 from like 4 years ago, lol with Future Shop/Best Buy. Then the last couple of years there have been these $49.99 deals on new releases. I too have a huge backlog, but looking at pricing, some of these titles will not get to these low prices for months so in a lot of cases no further ahead.

I feel your pain when shopping for displays. It is just brutal how companies cannot or just do not want to get it right. I went through it in the fall wanting to replace my Epson 1080p projector with something in the 4K/HDR range. Sony had something new and everyone was so excited. Nice price for entry 4K/HDR. Then once people got it in their hands it was discovered that Sony's PR team had not talked to the engineering department. They stated specs that it could not even come close to. At issue, the unit could not do 4:4:4 4K/HDR at 60 fps without massive banding. It was advertised as 8 bit was in fact not 8-bit, only 4 and as such massive banding on games like Horizon and Forza on their respective consoles. I was like WTH, how you can you ask for $6,000.00 and it cannot even do what people are buying it for? Even with the JVC lines, which have been solid for the last 3-4 years, there were issues where there shouldn't have been. So yes, in the end trying to figure out what you can live with and what price, be happy and not look back. After I had the JVC projector calibrated by one of only a handful of guys who do THX certified calibration, it is quite a sight whether it be 4K/HDR movies, games and even TV. The 3D is insanely clear as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)