Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes

[Go Daddy.com] Godaddy boycott special: $6.99 domain transfer

More offers from Go Daddy.com
I'm sure many of you have heard about the GoDaddy boycott going on right now. As of the morning of December 26, over 72,000 domains have been transferred away from godaddy over the last 5 days! SOURCE

The real mass exodus away from godaddy is scheduled to take place on December 29, although you can and should do it at any time. Namecheap is offering $6.99 domain transfers and is donating $1 to the EFF on your behalf for every domain transferred. Whoisguard is also included for free. Use coupon code: SOPASUCKS. You can read about the deal and the reason for the boycott HERE.

I transferred all of my domains away from godaddy a couple days ago. I have been meaning to do it for a while anyway due to their horrid website littered with up-sell attempts at every turn (I cringe every year when I have to renew), annoying branding and advertising, and arrogant CEO, Bob Parsons. But their stance on SOPA, followed by their financially-motivated back-peddling, finally made me go through the minor hassle of transferring out. Transferring out was actually much easier than I expected.

More good domain name registrars are probably going to be offering transfer specials in the next few days due to the GoDaddy boycott. If you'd like to add those specials to this thread, post them and I'll update the first post. Also, if you've already transferred your domains away from GoDaddy, post in this thread and tell us what deal you used!

EDIT: A couple more deals from different registrars:

Name.com is offering 10% off transfers with coupon code: STOPSOPA.

Hover is offering $7 domain transfers with coupon code: OpenInternet. They will also donate $1 to demandprogress.org on your behalf.(Thanks to midnite76ca)
85 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
5795 posts
587 upvotes
paying extra to transfer a domain is a hot deal?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
Darko wrote:
Dec 27th, 2011 4:30 am
paying extra to transfer a domain is a hot deal?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Nobody is paying extra to transfer a domain. Namecheap will donate $1 on your behalf to the EFF for every domain you transfer. In addition, namecheap is offering a special price of $6.99 to transfer your domain to them. Obviously this price includes an additional year of domain registration. In other words, it was cheaper for me to transfer to namecheap than to stay with godaddy. Combined with the boycott and other reasons not to use godaddy, it was a no-brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
5795 posts
587 upvotes
jackboot wrote:
Dec 27th, 2011 4:44 am
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. Nobody is paying extra to transfer a domain. Namecheap will donate $1 on your behalf to the EFF for every domain you transfer. In addition, namecheap is offering a special price of $6.99 to transfer your domain to them. Obviously this price includes an additional year of domain registration.

gotcha. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3250 posts
1645 upvotes
Manitouwadge, Ontari…
Namecheap ftw been using them for many years and they having amazing support.
---
Jan 12, 2007
554 posts
54 upvotes
Port Credit
Even though I don't have any websites to transfer I just wanted to say for the sake of free internet: "DOWN WITH GODADDY."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2080 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
godaddy = worst registrar ever?

aren't they biting the hand that feeds them?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2007
1640 posts
235 upvotes
Quebec
I only ever used Godaddy for their 1$ promo on new domains,

And it was not worth the pain.
Sep 27, 2010
551 posts
347 upvotes
Vancouver
not valid for .ca. I only have .ca domains :\
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1532 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
what will happen to DNS settings when you do a domain transfer? do I have to put them back again?
Jan 18, 2008
131 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Does SOPA help stop cyber-squatters? I don't mind if that were to happen..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2080 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
40gates wrote:
Dec 27th, 2011 7:19 am
Does SOPA help stop cyber-squatters? I don't mind if that were to happen..

nah all it does is bite the hand that feeds it and attack innocent people

"The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who requests the court orders, the actions could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators such as PayPal from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites."

So for example on RFD someone posted a thread called "beats inspired headphones"
inspired-beats-dre-solo-hd-studio-62-80-a-1121683/
i guess its "facilitating copyright infringement" on the Beats headphones so they would just shut RFD down

pretty stupid bill really
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5849 posts
1476 upvotes
GTA
Transferred all of my domains out of GoDaddy the other day. It's important for the Internet community to respond to censorship both in Canada (snooping bill) and the US (SOPA), otherwise we won't recognize the Net in a few years.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5849 posts
1476 upvotes
GTA
hOrnizuka wrote:
Dec 27th, 2011 7:17 am
what will happen to DNS settings when you do a domain transfer? do I have to put them back again?

DNS settings will remain the same, you won't need to enter them again. Assuming you're doing domain transfer only, as I did, and not buying a hosting package from Namecheap.
Apr 5, 2006
91 posts
7 upvotes
Arviat
Thanks OP. Love having a reason to finally ditch Godaddy. Have been annoyed by them for years. Moving my domains now.