Expired Hot Deals

[GOG] New List - 5 new games in the Connect program {free if you own Steam version}

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 11:06 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes

New List - 5 new games in the Connect program {free if you own Steam version}

Deal Link:
Retailer:
GOG
GOG Connect is a program where you get the DRM-free GOG version of games you already own on Steam. You have a limited time to claim these, and there is no good way to be notified when games are added hence this post.

If you own the Steam versions of these games, you can link accounts and get the GOG version for free of:
- Age of Wonders 3
- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
- Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
- Shadowrun Hong Kong - Extended Edition
- Shadowrun Returns
- Trine Enchanted Edition
- Forgotten Anne

These will be available for 5 days - thanks SoldierZeroB

New List - thanks go to GiOBoY as I wasn't thinking they'd update these:
The new set for this week (Dec 20 – Dec 27) is:
  • Convoy
  • Hard West
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Syberia
  • Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
Last edited by Mykolas on Dec 21st, 2018 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
16 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2011
2531 posts
3384 upvotes
London, Ontario
When you go through the link it says 5 days on all of them with a clock beside it. I would assume that's your time window for linking them. It says your Steam profile needs to be set to public as well so that GOG can see your library and find eligible titles.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 22, 2013
653 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of GOG? Wasn't the idea to get away from Steam? I don't like the idea of linking GOG with Steam. Also in regards to Steam I am angered with them as I had legit titles that said they would stay in my games library to only disappear when I uninstalled them and they were pretty decent titles. Steam needs to stop with this crap.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:55 pm
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of GOG? Wasn't the idea to get away from Steam? I don't like the idea of linking GOG with Steam. Also in regards to Steam I am angered with them as I had legit titles that said they would stay in my games library to only disappear when I uninstalled them and they were pretty decent titles. Steam needs to stop with this crap.
I don't think it defeats the purpose of GOG at all, in fact Connect is a great perk of their gamer-friendly strategy. You may know that GOG started as Good Old Games, with a mission to update old games to play on modern hardware, and as a cheap reliable source of old titles that were no longer available at retail. It later embraced DRM-free, so if you buy the game, you own it, and can play it on any device you wish (as opposed to Steam which is a DRM-based platform.) These days many devs will release their games through both channels, so to the casual observer GOG and Steam appear to be direct competitors, but that's not really the case historically. For its part, Steam has greatly increased its back catalog of old games, largely in response to GOG. As in many markets, a little competition is a good thing.

I'm not quite sure how GOG negotiates with devs/studios to get these 'free' licenses. The only benefit appears to be goodwill since no money is changing hands. It helps that Steam ownership is very secure, so at least studios can be assured that you did legally obtain the game at one point, and I see this as a perk extended to you for a short time.

As for profile-linking safety, Steam is owned by Valve, and GOG is owned by CD Projekt Red. Both are game studios. It's true that Valve is bigger, but GOG is completely trustworthy; no fears there at all in my opinion.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 22, 2013
951 posts
264 upvotes
BC
Added 3 games to my account, thanks OP. I now have 110 games on my GOG account ^_^.
Intel Core i7-4790K | Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury | <3
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 12, 2011
2531 posts
3384 upvotes
London, Ontario
DanRFD wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 2:50 pm
Added 3 games to my account, thanks OP. I now have 110 games on my GOG account ^_^.
Damn. I only have 27.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
6474 posts
3374 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I Have None Of These Games And I Must Scream

Face Screaming In Fear
Member
User avatar
Aug 19, 2009
290 posts
138 upvotes
weird. it detected Thrine but did not detect Shadowrun returns.
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Zoomer, Fido, ING (Tangerine sounds so weird >.>)
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Newbie
Feb 4, 2012
30 posts
26 upvotes
Montreal
SoldierZeroB wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:17 pm
When you go through the link it says 5 days on all of them with a clock beside it. I would assume that's your time window for linking them.
I think it's the time before they become available on your GoG account. It would be too easy to simply buy them on Steam, get them on GoG using Connect and then ask for a refund on Steam. It's weird that it's only 5 days though because you can ask for a refund up to 14 days afterwards.

I got 2 new titles :) and I can confirm, they are still not available in my game inventory and both have the 5 days counter.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
dwild92 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 5:15 pm
I think it's the time before they become available on your GoG account. It would be too easy to simply buy them on Steam, get them on GoG using Connect and then ask for a refund on Steam. It's weird that it's only 5 days though because you can ask for a refund up to 14 days afterwards.

I got 2 new titles :) and I can confirm, they are still not available in my game inventory and both have the 5 days counter.
Interesting. I'm not sure what that 5 days is referring to then. I know that for some unknown reason I have keys to plenty of Steam games that I have not redeemed yet, and for past Connect events I've literally redeemed my key(s) on Steam, refreshed my profile on GOG, and claimed the games there right away. Maybe there are new restrictions in place, or that is the redemption deadline. I searched the forums and found evidence that 5 days has been a redemption deadline in the past, but I can't say for certain.
Member
May 13, 2012
314 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton
LetsMakeADeal2013 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 1:55 pm
Doesn't this defeat the purpose of GOG? Wasn't the idea to get away from Steam? I don't like the idea of linking GOG with Steam. Also in regards to Steam I am angered with them as I had legit titles that said they would stay in my games library to only disappear when I uninstalled them and they were pretty decent titles. Steam needs to stop with this crap.
Which games from your Steam library disappeared when you uninstalled them? Were they permanently removed from the Steam store?
Last edited by Cottoni on Dec 15th, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___________________________
I'm going broke saving money!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 14, 2009
609 posts
171 upvotes
Windsor, Ont.
ae86fr wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 4:35 pm
weird. it detected Thrine but did not detect Shadowrun returns.
Have you actually played Shadowrun Returns on Steam?

I had it on Steam but I never played it, and GOG Connect didn't show it as available for me. Then I played Shadowrun Returns on Steam for about 5 minutes, and when I refreshed, it was available on GOG Connect.
Member
User avatar
Aug 19, 2009
290 posts
138 upvotes
ugly wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 7:28 pm
Have you actually played Shadowrun Returns on Steam?

I had it on Steam but I never played it, and GOG Connect didn't show it as available for me. Then I played Shadowrun Returns on Steam for about 5 minutes, and when I refreshed, it was available on GOG Connect.
Thank you. I never launched it before on Steam, that's the problem.
I thought RFD was supposed to help me SAVE money .... -__-|
Zoomer, Fido, ING (Tangerine sounds so weird >.>)
Carrytel internet is only good if you do NOT game. Do not get Carrytel if you do, you WILL regret it.
Member
Oct 19, 2011
221 posts
224 upvotes
dwild92 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 5:15 pm
I think it's the time before they become available on your GoG account. It would be too easy to simply buy them on Steam, get them on GoG using Connect and then ask for a refund on Steam. It's weird that it's only 5 days though because you can ask for a refund up to 14 days afterwards.

I got 2 new titles :) and I can confirm, they are still not available in my game inventory and both have the 5 days counter.
It seemed that GOG was having some system difficulties around the time the sale started. Are these games still not available in your inventory even now? Did you already import them into your library?
Mykolas wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 5:50 pm
Interesting. I'm not sure what that 5 days is referring to then. I know that for some unknown reason I have keys to plenty of Steam games that I have not redeemed yet, and for past Connect events I've literally redeemed my key(s) on Steam, refreshed my profile on GOG, and claimed the games there right away. Maybe there are new restrictions in place, or that is the redemption deadline. I searched the forums and found evidence that 5 days has been a redemption deadline in the past, but I can't say for certain.
It's likely to be a redemption deadline, as you say. I also had no issue redeeming a key on Steam and then adding it to my GOG profile (in this case, the Shadowrun: Hong Kong key from the recent Fanatical Kingslayer bundle). I'm not sure if there's a difference in how this works if you redeem a key (which you then couldn't refund) as compared to buying a game on Steam (which would be eligible for refund). I do believe that there has been a time in the past when I bought a game on Steam and then redeemed it on Connect shortly after without issue, though.

I now have over 500 games on my GOG account. Never thought that would happen...
[OP]
Sr. Member
Apr 8, 2005
904 posts
599 upvotes
They seem to have added 'Forgotten Anne' to the list. Can't say I've heard of it - was released in May.

I also have a ton of GOG games, and sadly only a percentage of those has ever even been launched. I'd need a 'Groundhog Day' type scenario to fit everything in!

Top