Hot Deals

[Goggles4u] Prescription Glasses 50% Off Total Order, $20 Single Prescription, $60 Progressives, Shipped To Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 2:56 am
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
A final word on my G4U replacement order (and I think it will be final for me).

My initial order was delivered quickly, but I complained about the poor fit and the weird beveled edge they had put on the lenses. What they did is to bevel the edges at an angle along the eye-sight line rather than at 90 degrees to the lens. I assume the theory is that it makes the lens edge less visible to the wearer. Unfortunately they also finish the edge in a milky-white matte finish. Combined with the angle of the edge, it makes it appear that you have a distinct thick white ring around your lenses when viewed from the front. It's especially visible if you have a high prescription (thick lenses) and wire-rim frames. It's ugly and distracting. I've never seen that before on any glasses, including previous ones from G4U, but their comment back to me was that person responsible for lens grinding does whatever they think is appropriate, and there's no guarantee what sort of lens edge I would get from them in future. They were willing to send me a replacement pair of glasses for free, but recommended that I select only full plastic frame glasses so that it would help cover the lens edge. I don't like plastic frame glasses, but given that they wouldn't guarantee to finish the lens edges any differently, I felt I had no choice.

I have now received the replacement glasses. It took some time going back and forth with G4U customer service to reach a conclusion, but the glasses themselves were finished and shipped as quickly as the first pair. The lens edges are indeed finished exactly the same inappropriate way as the first pair. That's why I won't be ordering from G4U again, since they seem unresponsive to customer feedback on this issue. The glasses themselves are ok for plastic frames, but give the impression of being very cheaply made.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8499 posts
2024 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 3:08 pm
A final word on my G4U replacement order (and I think it will be final for me).

My initial order was delivered quickly, but I complained about the poor fit and the weird beveled edge they had put on the lenses. What they did is to bevel the edges at an angle along the eye-sight line rather than at 90 degrees to the lens. I assume the theory is that it makes the lens edge less visible to the wearer. Unfortunately they also finish the edge in a milky-white matte finish. Combined with the angle of the edge, it makes it appear that you have a distinct thick white ring around your lenses when viewed from the front. It's especially visible if you have a high prescription (thick lenses) and wire-rim frames. It's ugly and distracting. I've never seen that before on any glasses, including previous ones from G4U, but their comment back to me was that person responsible for lens grinding does whatever they think is appropriate, and there's no guarantee what sort of lens edge I would get from them in future. They were willing to send me a replacement pair of glasses for free, but recommended that I select only full plastic frame glasses so that it would help cover the lens edge. I don't like plastic frame glasses, but given that they wouldn't guarantee to finish the lens edges any differently, I felt I had no choice.

I have now received the replacement glasses. It took some time going back and forth with G4U customer service to reach a conclusion, but the glasses themselves were finished and shipped as quickly as the first pair. The lens edges are indeed finished exactly the same inappropriate way as the first pair. That's why I won't be ordering from G4U again, since they seem unresponsive to customer feedback on this issue. The glasses themselves are ok for plastic frames, but give the impression of being very cheaply made.
Thanks alot for the update on their attempt at a resolution. Seems that they are more than likely contracting out the manufacturing, since they don't seem willing to pass on special instructions or critiques.
Jan 16, 2007
622 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Received my progressive lens glasses finally a few days ago. For the price, it's absolutely an excellent value. Mind you, the frame is very cheap but it's more than functional. The lens and the fit of the frame was perfect.
If not for the 4 week from order to delivery, I'd give them a near perfect score.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8499 posts
2024 upvotes
Toronto
So I have finally received my second order.
15 days of production, 4 days of inaction once showing complete and 2 days shipping from Karachi , again by DHL Express, although only standard shipping was paid for.
Initial impressions are pretty positive again.

Pair One $46.92 US
Oval Metal Full rim, Gold with spring hinges, progressive, with 1.56 index photochromic grey lenses, with standard coatings UV, AS, AR.
No visible imperfections, fit and finish are quite good. Lens fit is perfect, with no white edge protruding from the rim, and only a slight difference in lens thickness discernible from above.
Functionality is good, prescription is right on, and I was able to use them out of the box, with only a little bit of first time progressive disorientation at times.
Which is normal, I believe. Still adjusting the fit, for comfort and functionality though.
As mentioned by others, the photochromic feature takes a while to darken and lighten, perhaps longer than actual Transitions, but in my case this was actually preferable, as I am in and out of my vehicle all day and don't want to have to wait for them to lighten from maximum each time I return, but would like full sun protection if outside longer for other purposes. The frame is again sturdy and quite usable, and reasonably aesthetic, but just doesn't feel like high quality.
Overall I am happy with these, and actually surprised that these worked out this well for the price.

Pair 2 $5.95 US
Rectangular Black Composite half rim 1.57 distance, with standard coatings. Metal frame with plastic arms. Good fit and finish, just not as good as above. Frame feel is sturdy but a bit light and cheap.
These have a very slight white rim visible around the fit of the rims/lens, from certain angles, and a noticeable thickness difference between lenses, when seen from below. Strangely different thicknesses than the above pair, but acceptable.
Prescription seems accurate, and they are stable and comfortable to wear.

Pair 3 $7.45 US
Oval Metal Full Rim, 1.57 Distance, gold with spring hinges, with included UV AS coatings and dark brown tint. Good fit and finish. Perfect lens to frame fit. Accurate prescription, again with visible difference in lens thickness from above.
These are probably the best frames of the lot, but I may have messed up a bit by trying to skirt by with a smaller size frame, that I liked. Although they fit fine and are usable, they are just a bit small, so I might ask for a replacement. I only got them as beach/ long distance driving glasses, so I might not even bother.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10584 posts
3376 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
idiotcanuck wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 12:55 pm
I may have messed up a bit by trying to skirt by with a smaller size frame, that I liked. Although they fit fine and are usable, they are just a bit small, so I might ask for a replacement. I only got them as beach/ long distance driving glasses, so I might not even bother.
Thanks for the detailed description of all three glasses. Re the third one, since you admit that you may have "messed up", if it were me I'd just let it go. Even if you can't wear them for long periods because they're uncomfortable, you've lost less than CA$10. At least the "mess up" didn't cost $200 or more as it might have in Canada.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
bylo wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 1:25 pm
Re the third one, since you admit that you may have "messed up", if it were me I'd just let it go. Even if you can't wear them for long periods because they're uncomfortable, you've lost less than CA$10
True, barely worth bothering for the low price, but just to be clear G4U does invite customers to get a replacement if they aren't happy for any reason. It's their way of assuring customers that mail-order isn't going to turn out worse than local purchase.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10584 posts
3376 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Then again, unless they pay for return shipping it's likely going to cost $10 or more to return the glasses, even to a Canadian address.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8499 posts
2024 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 2:19 pm
Then again, unless they pay for return shipping it's likely going to cost $10 or more to return the glasses, even to a Canadian address.
I believe that they will actually often replace the incorrect glasses for free and allow you to keep them to "donate" to local charities. Even for esthetic, or customer error reasons, in theory, at least.
https://www.goggles4u.com/return-policy
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
idiotcanuck wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 3:32 pm
I believe that they will actually often replace the incorrect glasses for free and allow you to keep them to "donate" to local charities. Even for esthetic, or customer error reasons, in theory, at least.
https://www.goggles4u.com/return-policy
That's what they did for me. The replacement pair with a different frame was shipped to me free, same extra-cost options as the original pair. No need to ship back the originals.
Aug 29, 2017
32 posts
20 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just chiming in to report that my experiences with Goggles4u was absolutely amazing. Got my glasses 4 days after I ordered. Crystal clear lenses. Even though it's a thinner steel frame, feels good value and not flimsy. Only downside is the case quality is shit. But for the price I paid, I can certainly suck up spending $5-10 for a sturdier case lol.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8499 posts
2024 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 3:50 pm
That's what they did for me. The replacement pair with a different frame was shipped to me free, same extra-cost options as the original pair. No need to ship back the originals.
Thanks for confirming that.
I recall that you weren't too happy with the replacement, but did you have to push for a full replacement , or did they just agree?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
idiotcanuck wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 8:22 pm
did you have to push for a full replacement , or did they just agree?
They asked me to send a photo to illustrate what the problem was, but then they agreed to the replacement readily enough.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8499 posts
2024 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 1:25 pm
Thanks for the detailed description of all three glasses. Re the third one, since you admit that you may have "messed up", if it were me I'd just let it go. Even if you can't wear them for long periods because they're uncomfortable, you've lost less than CA$10. At least the "mess up" didn't cost $200 or more as it might have in Canada.
True. Eating a $10 mistake is not a big deal. Comparatively
Funny that the hardest thing about ordering glasses online is visualizing the frames and how they will look and fit. Even if you do a bunch of due diligence, beforehand, it is still a bit of a crapshoot. I guess that is why the return policy is so reasonable.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1399 upvotes
Richmond
idiotcanuck wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 9:59 am
Even if you do a bunch of due diligence, beforehand, it is still a bit of a crapshoot.
I've ordered at least 8 pairs of glasses online now from 3 different companies, and my immediate family has also ordered several others that I know of. I can tell you where I've found the most problem, although perhaps a professional optometrist could say more.

Most outfits now offer a visualization function where you can upload your own photo and try out how the glasses will look on your face, like the one that G4U offers. Unfortunately they have several limitations. There's no scale, so you have to guess at the right size. No perspective and of course no 3D view, so you can only see face-on. Sometimes glasses appear quite different from a side angle.

The fit of the glasses depends critically on how the nose-piece fits your nose. This is the #1 problem with mail-order glasses, and unfortunately there's no way to judge it in advance. On many glasses it is slightly adjustable by bending the nose pieces, but unfortunately if you have thick lenses it will often severely limit the amount of adjustment, and it may depend also on how the lens edge is ground. If you do not get the fit of the nose-piece correct, the glasses may be uncomfortable or constantly slipping down. Even worse, they may hold the lenses at the wrong distance from your eye, which will make them work incorrectly. Some glasses specify the size of the nose bridge, but unfortunately the actual fit varies so much relative to the specified size that it is of limited value.

If you have no previous experience with how the specified frame width and temple length relate to how the glasses fit your head, then it may be difficult to know whether a specific size will fit you or not. After you've ordered a couple of pairs you have a better feel for it. But your choices are usually very limited anyway, as frame styles may come in only one size. The actual measurements are only approximate, as they can vary by a few mm depending on the frame style, but generally I find they aren't critical. A temple size that's a few mm long or short, or glasses that look a little wider or a little narrower on your face won't necessarily be a problem.

I think the automated lens grinding machines they use are usually very accurate, as long as the enter the correct parameters. If there are issues with the prescription, that's not their fault. Their biggest area of concern is probably the PD. In order to get the centre of the lenses at the correct spot, they have to take into account the frame fit and whether these glasses are for distance or reading. Some flexible wire frames also bend a little when you put the glasses on, changing the angle of the lens with respect to your eye. Even if they get everything right, the lens positioning won't be right if the glasses don't fit properly.