Hot Deals

[Goggles4u] Prescription Glasses 50% Off Total Order, $20 Single Prescription, $60 Progressives, Shipped To Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 2:56 am
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3336 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
idiotcanuck wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 9:59 am
True. Eating a $10 mistake is not a big deal. Comparatively
Funny that the hardest thing about ordering glasses online is visualizing the frames and how they will look and fit. Even if you do a bunch of due diligence, beforehand, it is still a bit of a crapshoot. I guess that is why the return policy is so reasonable.
I was thinking that at under $10 a shot, it makes sense to first order a pair of glasses from the likes of G4U to ensure that the frames fit and the Rx is correct. Then if that doesn't fit or work out one can afford to experiment, again at $10 per. Finally once one has all this worked out one can spend more on fancier frames, more options like tinting, etc. The cheap pair remains useful as a spare pair in any case. And if G4U is as flexible about dealing with, um, misfits ( ;) ) as reported then the cost of experimentation may even be free.

It's occurred to me that I should have done that with the glasses I ordered from Zenni. It's my first time ordering glasses online, so that would be a cheap way to confirm that I got stuff like PD correct before committing to a more expensive pair of glasses.

Of course all this takes a bit of patience. But if the glasses are to replace an existing pair then time is usually not that critical.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3336 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Faith24 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 10:38 am
The fit of the glasses depends critically on how the nose-piece fits your nose. This is the #1 problem with mail-order glasses, and unfortunately there's no way to judge it in advance.
A good place to start would be at a bricks and mortar eyeglasses store like a Lenscrafters. Try out various styles of frame. Note the sizes printed on the temple piece, e.g. 54-18-140. Now you've got a much better idea of what frame style, frame material, size, etc. works best for you and you can more confidently order online. This doesn't ensure perfection, but it's a good way to start out--much better than ordering "blindly" off a website.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1390 upvotes
Richmond
bylo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 11:27 am
A good place to start would be at a bricks and mortar eyeglasses store like a Lenscrafters. Try out various styles of frame. Note the sizes printed on the temple piece, e.g. 54-18-140
Which is all great until they stick lenses with a thick edge in there and suddenly the nose pieces can't adjust like they did on the ones in the store with thin lenses.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3336 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
That's why I said it's "A good place to start" that "doesn't ensure perfection." How good it is may depend on things like lens thickness, the importance of style, the importance of fit, the nature of the Rx, etc.

Do you have a better way to do due diligence before ordering online?
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8495 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 11:22 am
I was thinking that at under $10 a shot, it makes sense to first order a pair of glasses from the likes of G4U to ensure that the frames fit and the Rx is correct. Then if that doesn't fit or work out one can afford to experiment, again at $10 per. Finally once one has all this worked out one can spend more on fancier frames, more options like tinting, etc. The cheap pair remains useful as a spare pair in any case. And if G4U is as flexible about dealing with, um, misfits ( ;) ) as reported then the cost of experimentation may even be free.

It's occurred to me that I should have done that with the glasses I ordered from Zenni. It's my first time ordering glasses online, so that would be a cheap way to confirm that I got stuff like PD correct before committing to a more expensive pair of glasses.

Of course all this takes a bit of patience. But if the glasses are to replace an existing pair then time is usually not that critical.
That is pretty much what I did. I checked styles on my face at Costco. Then I ordered two pair of distance glasses, fairly sure that they would be usable, and if they were of decent quality and fit, I would try some Progressives or Bifocals afterwards, knowing my RX was good, what sizing/style worked and that my PD was at least in the ballpark. Even so it was still hard to be certain if I was making the right choices.
Jan 21, 2013
139 posts
15 upvotes
just my 2 cents... i ordered 2 prs of basic reading glasses , not a strong prescription. each one took less than 10 days to arrive, very surprised it came that fast. both were under $20-
am happy with the look & qaulity. IF i were buying for daily wear i would probably get the tinted & coated & spend a bit more. no complaints.
May 29, 2017
77 posts
28 upvotes
Since it's related, anyone knows a cheap way to get an eye exam?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10512 posts
3336 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
codex119 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 11:41 am
Since it's related, anyone knows a cheap way to get an eye exam?
1. Since this is provincially regulated it would help if you put your location in the Location field of your Profile. That's in part what it's there for.
2. In Ontario it's covered by OHIP for certain groups, e.g. kids, seniors, diabetics. You'll have to check with your province to find out what applies in your case.
3. There are eye exams and there are eye exams. If you're near a school of optometry, e.g. Waterloo, you'll get a much more thorough exam than at a retail optometrist, for no extra charge.
4. If eye exams aren't covered by your employer health benefits then either change jobs or find a life partner with such a plan ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 4, 2008
195 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
It would be nice if their site wasn't so junk, I've clicked 3 frames that just leads to not found.

I gave up, with not enough filters, and having to flip through 300+ frames at 30 per page that struggles to load. I'll try again later.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8495 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
G4U has the all frames $6.95 coupon codes up again.
HB995,HB1295, HB1595, HB1995, HB2495

Probably only useful if you want a pair of really basic glasses with a frame currently $19.95 or$24.95
With more options DN50 for 50% off the total will be of greater benefit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Can someone point me to designer online glasses for kids?
TIA
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8495 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
turtleh wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 12:10 pm
It would be nice if their site wasn't so junk, I've clicked 3 frames that just leads to not found.

I gave up, with not enough filters, and having to flip through 300+ frames at 30 per page that struggles to load. I'll try again later.
I noticed recently some of those frames that don't lead to an actual product page. Irritating.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8495 posts
2023 upvotes
Toronto
idiotcanuck wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 12:55 pm
So I have finally received my second order.
15 days of production, 4 days of inaction once showing complete and 2 days shipping from Karachi , again by DHL Express, although only standard shipping was paid for.
Initial impressions are pretty positive again.

Pair One $46.92 US
Oval Metal Full rim, Gold with spring hinges, progressive, with 1.56 index photochromic grey lenses, with standard coatings UV, AS, AR.
No visible imperfections, fit and finish are quite good. Lens fit is perfect, with no white edge protruding from the rim, and only a slight difference in lens thickness discernible from above.
Functionality is good, prescription is right on, and I was able to use them out of the box, with only a little bit of first time progressive disorientation at times.
Which is normal, I believe. Still adjusting the fit, for comfort and functionality though.
As mentioned by others, the photochromic feature takes a while to darken and lighten, perhaps longer than actual Transitions, but in my case this was actually preferable, as I am in and out of my vehicle all day and don't want to have to wait for them to lighten from maximum each time I return, but would like full sun protection if outside longer for other purposes. The frame is again sturdy and quite usable, and reasonably aesthetic, but just doesn't feel like high quality.
Overall I am happy with these, and actually surprised that these worked out this well for the price.

Pair 2 $5.95 US
Rectangular Black Composite half rim 1.57 distance, with standard coatings. Metal frame with plastic arms. Good fit and finish, just not as good as above. Frame feel is sturdy but a bit light and cheap.
These have a very slight white rim visible around the fit of the rims/lens, from certain angles, and a noticeable thickness difference between lenses, when seen from below. Strangely different thicknesses than the above pair, but acceptable.
Prescription seems accurate, and they are stable and comfortable to wear.

Pair 3 $7.45 US
Oval Metal Full Rim, 1.57 Distance, gold with spring hinges, with included UV AS coatings and dark brown tint. Good fit and finish. Perfect lens to frame fit. Accurate prescription, again with visible difference in lens thickness from above.
These are probably the best frames of the lot, but I may have messed up a bit by trying to skirt by with a smaller size frame, that I liked. Although they fit fine and are usable, they are just a bit small, so I might ask for a replacement. I only got them as beach/ long distance driving glasses, so I might not even bother.
Just a little update after living with these a little while.

Pair 1 progressive photochromic:
Still happy with them, and actually the photochronic feature seems to have improved response time with use, or I have noticed it. In bright conditions, there is actually a response within 5 seconds. With some moderate shading happening within 30 seconds. Reverse is similar.
Full dark does take quite a while though.

Pair 3 Single prescription distance tinted:
As an example of subjective opinions about glasses, about half my friends agreed that they are just a bit too small for me, and the other half liked them best, saying that they gave off a retro kind of 60's vibe. They have actually grown on me a bit too, with use.
Dec 6, 2016
9 posts
11 upvotes
Not really recommend. Glasses is some where low qulity side and their QC is just a joke. Order a pair and it came scratched and replacement is missing reflective coatting. But custom service is pretty good though