Hot Deals

[Goggles4u] Prescription Glasses 50% Off Total Order, $20 Single Prescription, $60 Progressives, Shipped To Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2017 2:56 am
Dec 3, 2003
240 posts
73 upvotes
PenguinNinja007 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 2:44 am
Hey, I'm a optician so I'd thought I will explain it to everyone,

OD: right eye

If you are looking to get distance glasses, ignore the ADD power and input the prescription as is.

If you want reading glasses, add the ADD power to the spherical prescription which in this case will become:
OD: +1.75

If you want progressive or bifocal glasses, type in the complete prescription, don't add anything.
-for progressives, you need to measure the seg height, usually I would suggest using a precise optical measurment tool but for most people, you can do it roughly by using a marker and dotting where the pupil on a set of glasses and measure from the bottom of the frame to the pupil (I usually suggest at least 17mm for maximum comfort)
-for bifocal, you also need the seg height but for measurement, you need to measure from the bottom of the frame to the lower eye lid (NOT the pupil)

For all glasses, you probably need to pupil distance (PD), you can roughly measure it by measuring the distance between your two eyes with a ruler or somehow obtain a pupillometer.

Btw, I have not ordered from this company before so I am not sure about the quality so buy at your own risk. Every lens company produce lenses with a slightly different index of refraction so clarity may vary. I usually deal with big brands like Essilor, Zeiss, Nikon etc.
Hi,
What would I need to include in the script to order for Computer glasses. My monitor is about 24" from where I sit. Somewhere in the middle between reading books and distance.
Thanks
Oct 5, 2006
818 posts
414 upvotes
Calgary
gordi777 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 9:50 pm
Hi,
What would I need to include in the script to order for Computer glasses. My monitor is about 24" from where I sit. Somewhere in the middle between reading books and distance.
Thanks
Try this http://www.computerglassesrx.com/
Jul 7, 2009
358 posts
122 upvotes
My company's insurance plan requires that I order my glasses from a Canadian retailer. I didn't have problem with clearly.ca in the past, and was happy with them, but right now they don't have any discount ... any other suggestion for Canadian online prescription glasses ordering?

I don't need progressive lens.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
number17 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 1:42 pm
My company's insurance plan requires that I order my glasses from a Canadian retailer.
I'd say that you need a better insurance plan - but really no insurance plan that covers prescription glasses is worth it. It's just a way to pay double for a routine expense.

You might ask them why they have that restriction. I recall one time going into the local Costco optical department with a friend visiting us on vacation from another province to help her get a replacement for the glasses she had broken. She had the prescription for her glasses from her optometrist, only a few months old, but Costco told us they could only accept a prescription from a local in-city optometrist. We asked why? They said it was a regulation. We called BS and asked to see the regulation. After 10 minutes or so, the optical department manager came back with a letter from the local city optometrists association asking them to please give business only to local optometrists.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10505 posts
3324 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
number17 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 1:42 pm
My company's insurance plan requires that I order my glasses from a Canadian retailer. I didn't have problem with clearly.ca in the past, and was happy with them, but right now they don't have any discount ... any other suggestion for Canadian online prescription glasses ordering?
If your insurer is one of the majors like Great-West, Manulife or Sun Life, then you can get discounts via http://www.pvs.ca/. To my surprise this even includes 10% off at Clearly. And since this is just a coupon code it might even apply to anyone, insured or not, who uses it.

Also another Canadian online store is ContactsExpress.ca.
Faith24 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 1:57 pm
I'd say that you need a better insurance plan - but really no insurance plan that covers prescription glasses is worth it. It's just a way to pay double for a routine expense.
I agree that it's not worth paying out of pocket for this type of insurance, however, many people get eyeglass coverage through their employer's EHC benefit. In my case it's $250 for glasses/contacts every 2 years, as well as visits to optometrists for checkups. There's no way to opt-out so one might as well use the benefit. After all it's "free" money.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 26, 2006
46 posts
10 upvotes
Don't mean to hijack the thread too much, but people were talking about getting stick on silicone nose pads.
Anyone know where you can get those for a decent price in downtown Toronto?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9839 posts
4210 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Re: PD

Was at my brother's store, the correct method to measure PD is more than the simple distance between 2 pupil centres because it will vary slightly depending on how far you are looking. And also if your normal viewing has one eye off centre, for example one is slightly inward cross.

It's actually 2 measurements from the middle point of the nose. The patient with their right eye looks at your left eye, take measurement. Then the patient with their left eye looks at your right eye, take measurement. Add them together for online glasses. However, a physical store will take an unequal variance into account in fitting the lenses.

An optician will also professionally bend the arms with a heating gun and special tools so they wrap around the ears properly.

Note, I'm neither for or against online glasses as I buy from both for my kid (if online, I take them to my brother to have the Rx checked and to custom bend them)
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10505 posts
3324 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AncasterRFD wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 11:22 pm
Was at my brother's store, the correct method to measure PD is more than the simple distance between 2 pupil centres because it will vary slightly depending on how far you are looking. And also if your normal viewing has one eye off centre, for example one is slightly inward cross... It's actually 2 measurements from the middle point of the nose. The patient with their right eye looks at your left eye, take measurement. Then the patient with their left eye looks at your right eye, take measurement. Add them together for online glasses. However, a physical store will take an unequal variance into account in fitting the lenses.
My optometrist recorded two sets of PD values, one for distance and the other for near vision. In my case the L and R values were 0.5 mm different. Every online eyeglass vendor's website allows you to specify a single PD, e.g. 63mm or L and R values, e.g. L31.5mm and R32.0mm. Moreover I've been told by online eyeglass vendors that even though I need progressive (or bi/tri focal) lenses the PDs for near distance aren't important, which is why they don't ask for them.
An optician will also professionally bend the arms with a heating gun and special tools so they wrap around the ears properly.
Valid point for plastic frames. Less valid for metal frames. Also the customer may need to adjust the position of the soft plastic nose guards. This isn't hard to do.
Note, I'm neither for or against online glasses as I buy from both for my kid (if online, I take them to my brother to have the Rx checked and to custom bend them)
Agreed. Also if you have a very strong or unusual Rx then it's probably best to go to a B&M optician. As I've suggested before, considering how inexpensive online glasses can be, it may be worth first buying a pair with cheap frames just to see how well the Rx works out.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9839 posts
4210 upvotes
Southern Ontario
bylo wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 7:32 am
My optometrist recorded two sets of PD values, one for distance and the other for near vision. In my case the L and R values were 0.5 mm different. Every online eyeglass vendor's website allows you to specify a single PD, e.g. 63mm or L and R values, e.g. L31.5mm and R32.0mm. Moreover I've been told by online eyeglass vendors that even though I need progressive (or bi/tri focal lenses) the PDs for near distance aren't important, which is why they don't ask for them.

Valid point for plastic frames. Less valid for metal frames. Also the customer may need to adjust the position of the soft plastic nose guards. This isn't hard to do.

Agreed. Also if you have a very strong or unusual Rx then it's probably best to go to a B&M optician. As I've suggested before, considering how inexpensive online glasses can be, it may be worth first buying a pair with cheap frames just to see how well the RX works out.
Correct, there's a near PD and my brother also mentioned a vertical one. For metal frames, he has a wall of special pliers. Since his store mainly carries high end brands, I don't mind ordering cheap online pairs for my kid as backups and non-contact sports. She has one designer frame+Crizal her uncle gets her at cost.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
AncasterRFD wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 8:21 am
Since his store mainly carries high end brands, I don't mind ordering cheap online pairs for my kid as backups and non-contact sports. She has one designer frame+Crizal her uncle gets her at cost.
You do realize that almost all the "high end" and "designer" brands come from the same single supplier as the cheap brands?: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/high-pres ... -1.1130610
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9839 posts
4210 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Faith24 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:52 am
You do realize that almost all the "high end" and "designer" brands come from the same single supplier as the cheap brands?: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/high-pres ... -1.1130610
Absolutely, I've known that for a while via sunglasses but there's no other way to get certain models/styles custom fitted with lenses.

Those brand names you see online are often made for online sale. It's no different than designer clothes significantly marked up. That's why my tween is only allowed one pair from my brother's luxury store, the rest are online Zenni's or wherever.
Apr 18, 2010
185 posts
32 upvotes
I received my glasses yesterday and I'm disappointed. The frames on them are nice but the lenses are useless. Looking straight ahead and to about a 10 degrees angle left or right and everything is clear. As soon as a look to the sides great than about 10 degrees everything gets blurry. the only thing that makes sense to me is poor manufacturing or calibrated lens making machines? My prescription is quite weak, is only about 3 weeks old and I double checked all the info I gave them.

Too bad the money is wasted.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
6322 posts
1409 upvotes
Oakville/Toronto
Does anyone know where to buy prescription safety glasses? It'd be a good gift for my dad who likes carpentry and he keeps using his regular glasses since he's getting older now and doesn't use safety glasses.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8493 posts
2021 upvotes
Toronto
hipditch wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 10:26 am
I received my glasses yesterday and I'm disappointed. The frames on them are nice but the lenses are useless. Looking straight ahead and to about a 10 degrees angle left or right and everything is clear. As soon as a look to the sides great than about 10 degrees everything gets blurry. the only thing that makes sense to me is poor manufacturing or calibrated lens making machines? My prescription is quite weak, is only about 3 weeks old and I double checked all the info I gave them.

Too bad the money is wasted.
Why not try a free replacement pair, and see if they are any better. What do you have to lose.