Hot Deals

[Goggles4u] Prescription Glasses 50% Off Total Order, $20 Single Prescription, $60 Progressives, Shipped To Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2017 11:49 pm
Aug 30, 2017
24 posts
24 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
After paying almost $600 for a pair of not overly complex lenses and a non designer frame about 5 years or more ago I looked at other options.

I used Clearly for a couple of years but when they were bought out by a large frame manufacturer their prices increased substantially.

I have ordered many pairs from all the major online "offshore" players (Zenni, Googles4U, Eye Buy etc). Overall I have been satisfied at the price I paid. Several of the frames where definitely poorly constructed but the sellers always stood behind them and took them back. Lens quality has been fine except for one order from Zenni that was screwy, which they refunded.

On average a pair runs me about $100 -120US, all in. Quality wise the frames are probably a step below what is sold locally but not enough to justify the price differential for me.

Shipping has always been quick, maybe 2 weeks on average.

One wish would be to purchase professional measurement only services locally as I use progressives.
Not looking for a freebie, I would be prepared to pay a comprehensive fee of say $100 to have a service do this.

Right now the general business model is for the Optometrist to check eye health and do the prescription and opticians do the fitting measurements and dispensing.
That model doesn't suit my needs.

I pay the optometrist for his services. Why can't I get, at whatever an appropriate price point would be, a comprehensive health, prescription and fitting service? I'll look after getting the appliance at the dispenser of my choosing.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8364 posts
1905 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:25 am
Since I was not happy with my glasses, I contacted their customer support via chat, and they told me to send a report with photos to "steve@goggles4u.com". A couple of days later they responded that I can choose replacement glasses and just keep or discard the ones I have. But they did put some restrictions on the replacement: plastic frames only (the originals are metal frame), less than $25. It's not clear how some of the details like the high-index lenses I ordered on the originals will be handled on the replacement. I'll update when I find out.
Thanks for the update.
I'd be very interested in how they resolve it, and if a little arguing gets you a better offer. Face Savouring Delicious Food
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1347 posts
623 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 4:30 pm
Mine arrived already, in 5 days. No shipping notice at all, just a delivery notice. The DHL delivery guy shoved it in the mailbox, knocked once on the door (ignoring the doorbell), and ran off.

Not very happy with this pair. I was afraid the frame would be too small, and it is. The lens edges are weirdly beveled so that there appears to be a white ring around my eyes, unlike any lens edge I've ever had before. And although I paid a lot extra for 1.67 index lenses, they don't appear to be visibly any thinner than the 1.57 standard lenses.

Just wondering which frame did you go for and what your prescription is? -8.0, -9.0?

I was also looking at choosing 1.67 over 1.57 lenses but I read from a few people the reduction in thickness is barely noticeable. How much thinner do you find the edges?

Has anyone tried the oleophobic coating? Is it worth it?
Always hungry ;)
Jan 16, 2007
580 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
idiotcanuck wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:08 am
Not sure if yours have shipped yet, but my second order is taking alot longer than the first. 5 days and still in production, as opposed to two days previously. I am thinking that it is because one pair is progressive and photo chronic or because one frame that I ordered went OOS the next day and they might have inventory issues and not have that frame left at the production location?
I too order progressive and second cheap pair. It's been and still in production as of Aug.30. I contacted live chat and they say it will take 2-3 weeks total. CSR probably had no idea other than what stated on their website.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2086 posts
1056 upvotes
Richmond
nintendo wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:10 pm
Just wondering which frame did you go for and what your prescription is? -8.0, -9.0?

I was also looking at choosing 1.67 over 1.57 lenses but I read from a few people the reduction in thickness is barely noticeable. How much thinner do you find the edges?
My prescription is up around -8, which is pretty strong, so generally I try to go for frames with smaller lenses to avoid having coke-bottle edges.

I've tried a couple of pairs now with 1.61 and 1.67 index, and as you might expect the difference is really quite minor. My advice is, don't bother.

Here's an example of two nearly-identical lenses -7.75 prescription, one with 1.57 index and one with 1.67 index:

Lens compare.jpg
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1347 posts
623 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:45 pm
My prescription is up around -8, which is pretty strong, so generally I try to go for frames with smaller lenses to avoid having coke-bottle edges.

I've tried a couple of pairs now with 1.61 and 1.67 index, and as you might expect the difference is really quite minor. My advice is, don't bother.

Here's an example of two nearly-identical lenses -7.75 prescription, one with 1.57 index and one with 1.67 index:

Lens compare.jpg
Thanks for the picture! That REALLY helped. Yeah doesn't seem to be worth the extra $30-$40 for that difference in width.

That white translucent look of the top lens is just the free antiscratch/antiglare coating or did you pay for the oleophobic feature?
Always hungry ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2086 posts
1056 upvotes
Richmond
nintendo wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:40 pm
That white translucent look of the top lens is just the free antiscratch/antiglare coating or did you pay for the oleophobic feature?
Just the default anti-glare coating on both lenses, and in any cases the edges are never coated.

That white translucent look of the lens edge is actually the biggest problem I had with this order. See that weird bevel angle they put on the lens edge? Combined with the especially-white surface grind, it made a very visible white ring and round the edge of the lenses.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8364 posts
1905 upvotes
Toronto
dookiemoore wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:40 am
After paying almost $600 for a pair of not overly complex lenses and a non designer frame about 5 years or more ago I looked at other options.

I used Clearly for a couple of years but when they were bought out by a large frame manufacturer their prices increased substantially.

I have ordered many pairs from all the major online "offshore" players (Zenni, Googles4U, Eye Buy etc). Overall I have been satisfied at the price I paid. Several of the frames where definitely poorly constructed but the sellers always stood behind them and took them back. Lens quality has been fine except for one order from Zenni that was screwy, which they refunded.

On average a pair runs me about $100 -120US, all in. Quality wise the frames are probably a step below what is sold locally but not enough to justify the price differential for me.

Shipping has always been quick, maybe 2 weeks on average.

One wish would be to purchase professional measurement only services locally as I use progressives.
Not looking for a freebie, I would be prepared to pay a comprehensive fee of say $100 to have a service do this.

Right now the general business model is for the Optometrist to check eye health and do the prescription and opticians do the fitting measurements and dispensing.
That model doesn't suit my needs.

I pay the optometrist for his services. Why can't I get, at whatever an appropriate price point would be, a comprehensive health, prescription and fitting service? I'll look after getting the appliance at the dispenser of my choosing.
Some enterprising Optometrist will hopefully read the above and see that there is a need to be filled and a way to make themselves stand out from the pack, by filling it.
May 1, 2004
611 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal
Received my pair of simple prescription sunglasses and I'm totally satisfied for 35$.
Dec 25, 2009
306 posts
54 upvotes
I have a very wide head and have trouble finding glasses. There's a frame that I found at this site that looks decent.

Are the lenses good quality? Or are they just like zenni optical?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
8364 posts
1905 upvotes
Toronto
wadokai wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:18 pm
I have a very wide head and have trouble finding glasses. There's a frame that I found at this site that looks decent.

Are the lenses good quality? Or are they just like zenni optical?
The basic lenses are probably about the same as Zenni's. Depends on how you are valuing quality, though. Thickness, index, resistance to breaking?
You can always opt to go with polycarbonate and or higher index lenses.
Dec 25, 2009
306 posts
54 upvotes
Ok so maybe this is hijacking the thread but besides goggles4u, what other online glasses providers have good selection and are reliable?

I have a very wide head so it's hard for me to find frames that fit me well, and work well with my strong prescription.
Dec 12, 2014
769 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wadokai wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 4:14 pm
Ok so maybe this is hijacking the thread but besides goggles4u, what other online glasses providers have good selection and are reliable?

I have a very wide head so it's hard for me to find frames that fit me well, and work well with my strong prescription.
Zennioptical (just ordered my first pair from them on Sunday. Prices in USD)

Clearly (ordered many pairs from them over the years, before they were bought though)
Jan 17, 2017
11 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry........but I would never buy prescription glasses online. Quality is lacking.....(hence being cheap)....and actual 'fit' is a huge factor. Sorry but not for me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)