None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3102 posts
747 upvotes
divx wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 10:17 am
anything special about the reds? found it strange to have the reds thread been so big when other color also goes on sale.
RED users love it and for good reason, hence RED drives has a good following. I updated the original post to include some notes of caution for new users to RED drives. Included is how to determine if you need RED drives or not: going-1tb-2tb-3tb-4tb-western-digital-r ... st17775224
Feb 7, 2012
580 posts
120 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
divx wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 10:28 am
^so it's NAS drive, any benefit if I use as internal hdd? all i have for nas is WD element 2.5gb external drive connected to AC66U router, works pretty good, streams 1080p no hiccups.
NAS drive is beneficial when people want to go crazy with large data arrays and redundancies because NAS are designed to run 24/7 for many months (according to the marketing). NAS firmware is tweaked not to drop the drive if it is having a minor I/O problem. The firmware tweak makes a NAS drive not ideal for desktop application.
SMART Command Transport Error Recovery Control: This feature allows the OS to set a soft time limit for completion of reads and writes. Seagate calls this ERC (Error Recovery Control). Samsung / Hitachi drives term this CCTL (Command Completion Time Limit), while Western Digital gives it the TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) moniker. In a typical desktop drive, this could be a large number. In case of a bad sector or some other similar issue, the hard disk might keep retrying the access or try to remap the bad sector right away. The OS would remain waiting for the hard disk to deliver its delayed response. In a NAS environment, this delay could prove fatal, with the drive either being dropped or the NAS going into rebuild mode. So, it is essential that the SCT ERC number be set to a duration shorter than what the NAS OS would wait for before declaring the drive dead. Enterprise drives usually allow configuration of this value and set it by default to a low one (because the RAID controller can get hold of or recover the data from the other drives in the NAS).
Source
GiftCardGuy wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2014 1:14 pm
You're better off grabbing the External for $109 and pulling it out of the case
It is unlikely you will find a NAS drive in an external enclosure. Manufacturers usually put cheaper "green" drives in there.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1861 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
$109 is what I paid for 3WD TB reds at their lowest so this is not THAT good of a deal.
Orpheus wrote:
Jul 29th, 2014 8:21 pm
Thanks. For those who live close to a Memory Express, you can PM against their price of $114. Pay $95 after PM.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1861 posts
304 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes they changed the packaging years ago however I have not had issues before or after and have bought 10+ drives. TD packaging is more of a concern IMO however I haven't had problems with them either.
RMSimard wrote:
Nov 26th, 2013 12:00 am
Avoid buying hard drives from Newegg. This store's inadequate HDD packing process is responsible for the DOAs and bad reviews all drives are getting over there. Use their deals to pricematch with NCIX or Memory Express, these two actually handle drives a whole lot better than the egg.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Sep 4, 2006
116 posts
3 upvotes
hks wrote:
Aug 29th, 2014 2:32 am
WD Red 3TB
$129.99 -$10 coupon = $119.99
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... noteSearch

Save $10 on select Home and Home Office electronics and accessories (excluding customizable electronics) when you bundle products totaling over $50.00 - 4S1CRSMJ978CMC
It's already back at $149.99? That deal ended pretty quickly...