• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 9:21 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
21 posts
9 upvotes

Going to Azores- Tips / How much $$ do I need

My Girlfriend and I are headed to the Azores for 8 days.( Leaving next Friday the 15 June)
Looking for any tips anyone can share- we are headed to Sao Miguel
How much euros should I take with me.
Thanks for any tips
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1583 posts
732 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
shipwama wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 10:04 am
My Girlfriend and I are headed to the Azores for 8 days.( Leaving next Friday the 15 June)
Thanks for any tips
I was there in March- stayed at the Hotel Azor which I highly recommend.

Credit cards can be used at any restaurant. I would carry probably 300 Euros at max for little things like entering some sights or coffee money. I don't see the value any more of carrying large amounts of cash to Europe as there's ATMS everywhere and credit cards are accepted.

If you rent a car make sure to get a GPS.

Beautiful island you will have a blast!
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
1071 posts
151 upvotes
Also planned to go to Azores, but air fares in August are crazy :(. So, going to Ireland instead :)
NDP for Unions, PC for people. Only PC can save Ontario.
Mar 4, 2009
92 posts
6 upvotes
We were in Azores last year, and everything was remarkably affordable.

We stayed in Ponta Delgada for half the trip, then a bit further out in the country for the other half of the trip. Both times at Air BNBs.

Simple groceries were very cheap. Beer and wine also very cheap. Great cheese is also cheap. Since the Azores is subtropical they can grow most of what they need there so food staples for the most part were pretty affordable. Eating out was pretty much on par with Canada, except good wine was really cheap. You could get a bottle for like 8 euros at a fancyish hotel restaurant.

How many euros you need to take, really depends on what you intend to do, but most stuff was cheap.
Feb 5, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
It is very affordable, goes without saying to always compare restaurants as they do have more expensive options. If you are renting a car have some $$ for gas. Ponta Delgada is walk able but a car or tour excursion is the only way to really see the rest of the island so make sure you have enough for that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5067 posts
494 upvotes
Scarborough
Always have enough cash on you in case the banks block your CC (security reasons).
So 300-500 Euros Cash should be enough.
Nov 1, 2001
404 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
shipwama wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 10:04 am
Thanks for any tips
Portugal is very afforadable compared to the rest of Europe. I would say 200-300 euros are sufficient depending on if you plan to do excursions. I personally did the car rental.