• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2005 11:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
babysham wrote:I'm leaving for Cancun on Saturday with 3 of my friends. We are staying at the Oasis Cancun. From what I've been told, if you are under 25, that is the hotel to stay at. It's all inclusive, 4 star,
Depends on which site you go. It's actually a Mexican 3 star, Canadian 1.7 Star :|
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
If you are thinking of a Riu (I wouldn't, I stayed at one in Playa Del Carmen) then Riu Cancun or the Riu Palace in Cancun is better. But, the beaches suck in both of those Riu's. Dunno about the Caribe as it was bought by the Riu chain a few years ago.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2002
6327 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
It was caled the grand caribel before and was owned by the same people tey have been trying to consolidate all the riu names globally now and its the one in Cancun i'm reffering to.
Most hotel i have seen in Mexico are real holes but then it's americans they cater to.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1463 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
2 words: Crown Paradise

Stayed there twice - and will go back many more times...

24 hr bar, 24 hr snack counter (burgers, fries, etc. are great at 4am after coming back from the clubs) and 24 hr room service - all included.

The food and the service are incredible.
:arrow:
Car Dealer not honouring the warranty on a new vehicle? See this thread
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2004
1440 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
revert wrote:how much did she pay? i just found another hotel called Park Royal Piramides Cancun its only $1169 + taxes all inclusive for a week.
i
My girl paid $1274 CAD but the RIU Cancun was still being introduced at that time so the price was introductory... it's prolly $1500 CAD now.
Proud member of RFD for over 12 YEARS!
Heatware (64-0-0)
Layin' the smackdown on RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
impailer17 wrote:2 words: Crown Paradise
I think you mean Golden Crown Paradise. There is also a Crown Paradise. Unless I am mistaken, the Golden Crown Paradise is the old Jack Tarr and it is also Adults Only.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3495 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Cancun 2 years ago and stayed at the Oasis Playa which is a sister resort of the oasis. I paid $100 more for it and it was well worth it because there was less noise and at night I just went out to meet people anyways.

People have not mentioned clubs yet. 3 clubs you must visit are

CoCo Bongo's, Senior Frogs and Fat Tuesdays.

As someone mentioned Cancun shopping is not cheap people would be asking for $10-15 american for a hash bracelet which is nothing special. I bargained them down to like $3.

The big outside mall is really nice to walk around but everything is a rip off, only the flea market and downtown cancun have decent deals.

and like someone said bring LOTS of immodium, sunscreen, alovera that **** is what you'll need the most of and they'll charge you $20 U.S. for each of em
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
Pavel wrote:Oasis is a dump. Not so much on the outside but inside. You even have to pay to use a blow dryer. The good thing is that the beach is very nice and you can share, to a limited extent, the Grand Oasis. The food at the Oasis is barely pallatable. But, if you are drunk most of the time, you probably won't be able to tell.
Yeah Oasis wasn't good. On first appearance, it LOOKS nice. But tons of little things that you notice after get annoying. Like constant water on the bathroom floor, the bathtub not draining properly, shower making lots of noise, etc. Oh and we didn't even HAVE a hair dryer in our room. Plus the food was gross. I only ate the food to stay alive... not for pleasure whatsoever. The cake might have been the only decent thing. :P

Here's a pic of the room for anyone who's interested:
[IMG]http://ainsane.com/rfd/oasis1.jpg[/IMG]
trini wrote:All them club fail badly.
They want too much money to go in and drinks are crazy priced even all inclusive drinks.
Best one for me was La Boom.
The servers always try to hustle you for tips as well.
Brace yourself.
Yeah seriously. They're all $30-40 per night including drinks... but they hide the all-inclusive bars in hard to reach areas. Plus the bartenders hassle you for good tips, saying stuff like 'tip me big now and ill take care of you for the night'.

Also, for cheap gifts.... go to the Walmart :cheesygri I got a bottle of tequilla for 380 pesos there that is aroudn $80 here at the LCBO. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
trini wrote:All them club fail badly.
They want too much money to go in and drinks are crazy priced even all inclusive drinks.
Best one for me was La Boom.
The servers always try to hustle you for tips as well.
Brace yourself.
Agreed. Went to Coco Bongo cuz the hotel had a free night. The only way I would buy the booze package there is if I was buying drinks for the girls. La Boom is great, but can be really bad if it's "low season".

I prefer Daddy O's, Fat Tuesday, and I have had heard good things about the Shrimp Bucket. Would checkout Coco Bongo only for the theatrics. Senior Frogs is too small and over-rated. If you go in early June, any club is awesome especially Carlos and Charlies and Pat O'Briens with their Mardi Gras fest. :razz:

Forgot to mention, don't bother with the all-inclusive drinks unless like I said, you are buying booze for the girls. Otherwise, leave your hotel "happy" as you had already paid for it. Perhaps buy one or two beer at the club. So, save your money!
Banned
Apr 26, 2005
3 posts
Cancun is AMAZING! I recommend a Kiwi Margarita and fajitas at the El Sombrero restaurant...you might need one of those Imodium things after.

BTW you can try my 5% off coupon PD2241 (the girl said it works until the end of May) www.pharmadirect.ca...bring everything you need from Canada because things there cost a fortune. :-0
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
;)
Krystal PotPourri wrote:Cancun is AMAZING! I recommend a Kiwi Margarita and fajitas at the El Sombrero restaurant...you might need one of those Imodium things after.

BTW you can try my 5% off coupon PD2241 (the girl said it works until the end of May) www.pharmadirect.ca...bring everything you need from Canada because things there cost a fortune. :-0
What's there to bring? Sunscreen is a must, Maalox, Pepto, or other stomach remedies (maybe). The hotel zone in Cancun is very safe and it is unlikely you will need any of the stomach remedies if you don't party all day and night. If one does need anything, Walmart in downtown Cancun (not to be confused with downtown hotel zone) has everything you need. There are stores in town that have all the necessities that you may require. Only thing is that most hotels serve Pepsi and NO GINGERALE!! :cry:

Personally, why venture out and eat unless absolutely necessary when you already have paid good money for an AI. Remember, Cancun is the Miami of Mexico, only cheaper and IMHO prettier so you won't get old world food in the hotel zone; elsewhere, you take your chances. It's ok to play and drink hard, just don't be STUPID. ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
If anyone else goes, you gotta rent one of thsoe dune-buggies and drive on the main street! Its sooo fun! I'm sure they are insanely unsafe though... considering there are no seat belts, the seats move around, and there is no speedo or fuel guage. We ran out of fuel a lot earlier than they said we would... so I had to take a bus back to the guy and he drove back with fuel on his scooter. Freakin idiots.

Also I took a ton of pics while I was there. The second one is to prove that things aren't cheap :) $57 pesos is equal to $6.50 canadian for a Big Mac meal :P

[IMG]http://ainsane.com/rfd/cancun2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://ainsane.com/rfd/cancun3.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
ainsane wrote:If anyone else goes, you gotta rent one of thsoe dune-buggies and drive on the main street! Its sooo fun! I'm sure they are insanely unsafe though... considering there are no seat belts, the seats move around, and there is no speedo or fuel guage. We ran out of fuel a lot earlier than they said we would... so I had to take a bus back to the guy and he drove back with fuel on his scooter. Freakin idiots.

Also I took a ton of pics while I was there. The second one is to prove that things aren't cheap :) $57 pesos is equal to $6.50 canadian for a Big Mac meal :P
Not good advice. Again, this is Mexico. If u get hurt or injured getting decent medical care quickly is a rarity. Mexico is a quasi-third world country. The drivers and bus drivers can drive like maniacs. There is no need to waste your money on renting a dune buggy. If you want to go see the pyramids or Chichen Itza and you have a large party, rent a newer vehicle with collision coverage.

There is no reason to eat out, as I wrote previously. You pay for an all-inclusive package, so eat at the hotel. There is really no other [good] way to stay in Mexico. If you choose to do excursions, meals are usually included. I think most people would agree, they want a complicated free vacation and being too adventurous always has a price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)