None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3318 posts
1960 upvotes
Ottawa

Going to Dominican... advice?

Much like the Cuba thread, I'd like to start one for the Dominican. Stuff to do etc etc. I'm staying just outside of Peurto Plata.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
Get your malaria shot first.

Dave
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
4 upvotes
If you like child prostution, risk of getting robbed in daylight at a gunpoint at your face. Dom. rep is for you.

If not. Don't go.
Fineprint: Any brand that have [rfdlink=#]double underline link[/rfdlink] on my posts are not endorsed by me (unless stated otherwise) and automatically placed by the forum software for the site owners' commercial interests.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
1162 posts
3 upvotes
I went to Breezes in Puerto Plata last November, there were security guards with rifles guarding the buildings every night.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3318 posts
1960 upvotes
Ottawa
yatko wrote:If you like child prostution, risk of getting robbed in daylight at a gunpoint at your face. Dom. rep is for you.

If not. Don't go.
Asshat, I'm already going. Stop thread crappin.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1540 posts
50 upvotes
Scarborough
DR is a safe place to go.
FIRST is if u go alone then your looking for trouble. SO GO WITH A GROUP.
GO TO A CLUB CALLED LATINOS. great spanish dancing there.
I SUGGEST GOING TO A TOUR CALLED 7 water falls.
AMAZING. 70$ usa i think it was
well worth it and bring your own under water camera.
Jul 23, 2002
93 posts
Markham
From what I remember of Dominican... it was a nice place. Nice and quiet. Beaches were very beautiful and staff were always courteous and polite.

I remember Dominican as being quite boring though. Like others have said, you mostly stay confined to the resort. So I guess the resort is what makes/breaks it if you're looking for excitement. We stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro and it was ok. Staff tried hard to entertain us, but it becomes the same bit after a few days. You'll probably quickly tire of them trying to teach you salsa or pool aerobics.

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is to always always drink water. I guess that goes for any place, but Dominican is the only place where my sister passed out from dehydration ( our family's been all over the caribbean, so its not like its our first time in a tropical location ).

Oh, and I remember getting the runs from eating their fruit... If you've got a weaker stomach, I'd stay away from anything that's not cooked - for the first few days anyway.

Oh, and one other thing. If you've never been to one of these resorts before, you'll probably notice that tourists from other countries are comparitively rude. I remember they'd always try to cut in lines or argue with staff about not getting a table at an "a la carte" restaurant (even though you had to make reservations and they obviously didn't). I guess try to roll with it; you're on vacation after all. And, if worse comes to worse, find the most uncooked fish/seafood you can find from the buffet and kindly suggest that they try it! j/k

Well, I guess that wasn't so much advice as anecdotes... but perhaps you can take something from my ramblings. Have fun in Dominican!
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
8 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Just practice your routine of drink-eat-drink-eat-pass out-eat-drink-eat-drink-drink *hic* pass out. Have a great trip. And enjoy the sun.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1301 posts
1 upvote
yatko wrote:If you like child prostution, risk of getting robbed in daylight at a gunpoint at your face. Dom. rep is for you.

If not. Don't go.
what are you talking about? lol.
you know that most of the resorts have armed guards patrolling the grounds most of the time right? most of them aren't formally trained either, they are just hired to protect the hotel and patrons.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1649 upvotes
skuntbehavior wrote:what are you talking about? lol.
you know that most of the resorts have armed guards patrolling the grounds most of the time right? most of them aren't formally trained either, they are just hired to protect the hotel and patrons.
lol, thats a scary thought if they are not "trained" properly, carrying assault rifles around. Its like, if someone comes to rob you, they are just gonna spray. Just the thought of having armed guards makes it sound scary.
Nov 13, 2003
89 posts
Calgary
Puerto Plata is ok; I found better "Nightlife" in Sosua. It's about 20k from PP. It's been over 10 years since I was down there, so things may have changed considerably; but I never had any problems, or spoke to any tourists that did.

I covered a lot of the island by Motorbike, rentals were cheap and a little 125cc will allow you to blast off to Playa Grande and other less touristy locales for a little fun off-the-beaten-path. Santo Domingo, the Capital can be worth a visit as their older buildings and post-Columbus Architecture is tres-cool.

Depending on the season, fresh Oysters can be had in abundance for cheap. Slam a few dozen with frozen Mango Daquiries!

I love the place; I spent a month there for $1000cnd and didn't have to say no to myself too often. It's good, it's cheap; put on your dancin' shoes, and prepare for the time of your life..!
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1376 posts
2 upvotes
Even if you stay at an all-inclusive, have a dinner at Cafe Cito in Puerto Plata. The place is a little hole in the wall, but I had the *best* filet mignon in my life there. The place is owned by an ex-pat Canadian who reminded me of a character out of Humphrey Bogart movie.

Stephan