Travel

Going to Nunavut for the 1st time! Iqaluit travel tips plz!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2015 4:54 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
coolwasabi wrote: Touche.

Btw, in true RFD spirit, you should buy and bring a Canada Goose parka. Then, if anybody tries to give you ***** about wearing it in balmy Vancouver, you can honestly reply, "oh, well, I actually bought this for that time I went looking for polar bears in Nunavut.."
I'm embarrassed to say I own one. However I've never worn it in Vancouver. It would make me sweat in my suit for sure.

I don't get how the Asians here wear one during the winter when it's never below 10 Celsius haha. Bizarre
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
1484 posts
380 upvotes
frugal1 wrote: It has been a long time since I've been there, but here's some advice:

- Food - look for a place that will serve local game and fish. Try caribou, arctic char, whale, seal, etc. while you are there. No point ordering club sandwiches at your hotel restaurant.
- There are not a lot of roads so there's no point renting a car. Take a taxi or rent a bike.
- Souvenirs - buy a carving or drawing from the artist themselves. There are a lot of them around.
- When you are that far north, you'll have a lot of daylight. Use it to your advantage - you can go hiking until it's really late.
- Dress casually. I'm not if they have paved all the roads yet, but if the roads are still unpaved, there will be a lot of dust everywhere.
- Don't expect much.
Yah we are going to eat a lot of caribou and whale and seal for sure.

We aren't expecting much at all. Well have 18hrs of sunshine whole time..so will definitely do some long hikes!

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences