Travel

Going to Philippines Xmas Time.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2019 6:50 pm
Dec 24, 2006
469 posts
76 upvotes
Vancouver
Christmas in Philippines was a wonderful experience, glad you are saving up and going to experience it with your kids!

re: China Southern & China Eastern... Have flown both, they are both OK... no issues... Planes clean, mostly on time, staffs professional. However their websites (and e-commerce skills) are sort of lacking even in their own language, let alone English. If you're booking through a 3rd party like Expedia/Travelocity then you're fine but of course you do pay a little bit more and/or if you need to make changes to your tickets it'll be more troublesome. Like someone else said, majority of tickets are booked by/in Asia so your seat selection might not be the best especially if you're trying to find seats for your family all together. Online checkin before flight was also a bit of gong show where the website gives errors randomly but the error message doesn't always make sense lol. Have a sneaking suspicion that if you use older browser it might work better but then you'd be transmitting your personal info through less secure browser...

re: cheaper flights - You'll definitely save money if you do 2 separate tickets. One return trip from Canada to an Asia hub (e.g. Hong Kong) and then a separate ticket from that city to Manila (or wherever you plan to go). Again this involves more logistics and luck as you'll have to pick up your luggage and then re-check-in for the second flight, adding to the total travel time and chance of luggage delay/lost. I am also assuming carry-on is not an option as you'll probably have to bring gifts back for friends/relatives.

Anyways, play around with Google Flights and see what you can find with different date combinations!
Jun 28, 2009
831 posts
339 upvotes
Does it have to be this year? Personally, I would wait until next Christmas. PAL usually has a seat sale, so sign up for their newsletter. You can save a lot

I went this past Christmas and it was ok, but my kids had enjoyed it. We had bought my ticket in March for about $1600 each..

Side note, if you are travelling within metro Manila, do expect to be stuck in traffic for hours.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5464 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
valence wrote:
Jul 25th, 2019 6:29 pm
I know it's the worst time to go home price wise but want my kids to experience the holidays. Have not been home since 1999 so i was wondering what's the average price during xmas peak season. Right now it's price is between $2500-3000 ouch!!! When do these prices drop to around $1500 which is the price i'm expecting. Leaving Dec. 20. Thks in adv.
Better go next Christmas (2020), Last year, I went back on December but I brought my ticket as early as February 2018. I paid $1050 via Eva Air .
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5464 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
jceezy23 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 1:08 pm
Does it have to be this year? Personally, I would wait until next Christmas. PAL usually has a seat sale, so sign up for their newsletter. You can save a lot

I went this past Christmas and it was ok, but my kids had enjoyed it. We had bought my ticket in March for about $1600 each..

Side note, if you are travelling within metro Manila, do expect to be stuck in traffic for hours.
Since 2000, the traffic at Metro Manila is too congested, I hope that everyday Pacman will have a fight so no traffic.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2009
352 posts
49 upvotes
Markham
If we don't take the direct flight(Philippine Airline) do we have to check in our baggage again once we land in China before boarding plane to Clark Airport? Booking online i see this option on some flights. Thanks guys.