Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38014 posts
25105 upvotes
Economy

Going to Rome, Italy soon

Has anyone from here stayed at the Marriott Grand Hotel Flora?
My hotel/flights and transportation to/from the hotel are all paid for. (I won this trip)
Are the restaurants expensive?
Are the people friendly?
I am thinking of buying a piece of gold jewelry for myself. Is gold really expensive there?
Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
27 replies
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
Congratulations ... Nice prize.

For info on this hotel which might help with your specific questions, I suggest you check out the hotel website
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/r ... ba596febe2

And also read thru the various things folks have to say about it in on-line reviews

1- The Hotels own website (has 219) = http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-re ... tel-flora/

These are guaranteed by The Marriott to have come from actual Guests, but because it is the Group's own website there is always the chance that they've been vetted before being cleared to put up for public consumption

and,

2- TripAdvisor (has 1218) = https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... Lazio.html

You'll probably find Restaurant Reviews under specific names of the eateries as well (try TripAdvisor, Yelp Etc)

Reading up as much as you can from a variety of sources will give you the opportunity to get the best mental picture of the place & what others think, you can expect once you get there (vs say just a handful of replies you'll get here on RFD)

What I can tell you is The Marriott Group (since their merger with SPG / Starwood) is now the largest hotel chain in the world, and they are for the most part both consistently comfortable, clean & welcoming.

Happy travels.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27645 posts
3801 upvotes
Ottawa
Congrats on the win. You will love Rome.
Your hotel sis a bit north of the main area (Old City) but not so much that you can't walk to many places. It is about 15 minutes (casual walk) to the Spanish Steps and then carry on to the other sites. About 30 to 40 minute walk to the Colosseum and Forum and , but there are lots of things to see along the way.
Yes, restaurants are expensive, even in the "non touristy" areas, but for sure they are really expensive in the hotel proper. Rome is an expensive city but, so is most of Europe with our lousy dollar. If you want souvenirs or trinkets, I suggest Campo de Fiori for the market in the mornings. http://www.turismoroma.it/itinerari-a-t ... ri?lang=en oh and of course, the magnificent fountains and sculptures in Piazza Navona.
Be careful of guides, they are one of the biggest scams in Rome, as are unmarked cabs. Take public transport or well marked taxis. DO NOT stand near a guy dressed as a Roman Centurion and take a a photo, it will cost you a ton f money. As for guides, and I highly recommend them for at least the Colosseum and the Vatican, I suggest skip the line tours from Viator. Don't know when you are going but the lineups are very long most of the time. There are line ups for tickets then lineups to get in.
Lastly one small tip that will save you a lot of money. There are drinking fountains all over Rome (called nasoni, or big noses). The water flows out and there is a hole on the spout, just plug the bottom of the spout and water shoots out of the hole on top. Don't worry, the water is as fresh as it comes form the aquifers and mountains. It is pure as it can be. One bottle of water can cost 2 to 5 euros, buy one or bring your own drink container and fill it up at the fountains. http://www.knowingrome.com/2009/10/nasoni-di-roma/ and https://www.doctorsinitaly.com/water-rome/
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jul 10th, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38014 posts
25105 upvotes
Economy
Thank you very much for this information!
We are leaving on July 19th, for one week.
Last edited by valeriey on Jul 10th, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27645 posts
3801 upvotes
Ottawa
valeriey wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:13 pm
Thank you very much for this information!
We am leaving on July 19th, for one week.
It will be very hot in the city.
Also, beware of the dress code requirements in some places. No bare shoulders or short shorts in Holy places
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38014 posts
25105 upvotes
Economy
Do I need to bring insect repellent?
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
Re - Clothing

Want to blend in with the Europeans, and be less of a target dress accordingly

Shoes vs Runners or Crocs - No fanny packs - Polos & Shirts with collars vs logoed tshirts - ladies skirts or capris vs shorts - tops that cover the shoulders and no cleavage
Nov 28, 2012
41 posts
14 upvotes
We downloaded free Rick Steves audio guides for the sights and found the guides quite good.

Buy tickets for the Colosseum at the Palatine Hill entrance if you don't buy the tickets in advance The line will be way shorter here. The line to buy tickets at the Colosseum is nuts. We went up into the Palatine Hills and made our way to the Forum down from the hill.

If you go to the Vatican museum, go first thing in the morning and head straight to the Sistine Chapel and loop back through the rest of the museum again after. It's much less busy the first time in there and it will be packed when you get there again on your loop.

Head to the Borghese Gallery if you like sculptures. The Bernini sculptures there are absolutely worth the trip. You have to book your entrance in advance. They on,y allow a certain number of people into the galley and you have a 2 hour limit if I remember correctly.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38014 posts
25105 upvotes
Economy
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 6:16 pm
It will be very hot in the city.
Also, beware of the dress code requirements in some places. No bare shoulders or short shorts in Holy places
What about capris?
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
valeriey wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:20 pm
What about capris?
Capris are fine.

They don't want to see exposed shoulders, cleavage or thighs.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3263 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Need to cover shoulders, knees and cleavage. Or they have those ppl selling scarves outside the churches most of the time in case you didn't dress properly. it's kind of hot over there to cover everything.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 22, 2006
38014 posts
25105 upvotes
Economy
Do I need to bring insect repellent?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3263 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Rome wasnt too bad when i went...more flies and stuff at florence and venice. Sun protection for sure though
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig