• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2018 4:08 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
184 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Going to San Francisco for next 2 weeks. Best prepaid data + voice US plan

Hi! As per the title, I am going to San Francisco for the next 2 weeks. Would anyone has any experience or suggestion regarding some US data + voice plan that I can purchase and also affordable? Welcome all opinions. Thanks.
, Xperia Z1, Note 3, iPhone 5S, LG G3, iPhone 6, Samsung Alpha, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Galaxy 6, LG G Flex 2, S6, S7Edge, LG G5, LG G6
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3253 posts
1591 upvotes
Everywhere
I use both AT&T and T-Mobile. They have prepaid plans with lots of data for around US$40 and up.

T-Mobile is running a promotion, if you buy a $100 reload card, they will give you a free phone. You can sell it to bring your costs down to zero. You can use the sim and data in Canada so you can use all of the value of the card.

https://www.att.com/prepaid/index.html
https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
UptownBoy26 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 4:08 pm
Hi! As per the title, I am going to San Francisco for the next 2 weeks. Would anyone has any experience or suggestion regarding some US data + voice plan that I can purchase and also affordable? Welcome all opinions. Thanks.
Nowadays , data is king. I suggest you get the Roam mobility data of 2 Gb at Can$30.
Bring your Canada phone as well and when it rings just call back with your LTE data with Hangout dialer (calling US/Can free) . Text of the Canadian SIM come in free too.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Jan 24, 2007
177 posts
19 upvotes
the Data is 2G though isn't it? with only 512MB of 4G data
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Kaphis wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 7:10 pm
the Data is 2G though isn't it? with only 512MB of 4G data
The data plan of RoamMobility is LTE 2 Gb that lasts for a month if the OP stays for that long. But 2 Gb for 2 weeks is barely enough for 2 persons to share indeed. BTW RM rate is in Can$ as it is a Canadian company
Daniel

[OP]
Sep 1, 2011
184 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciate your input Smiling Face With Open Mouth Looking at the AT&T and T-Mobile plan now.
, Xperia Z1, Note 3, iPhone 5S, LG G3, iPhone 6, Samsung Alpha, Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Galaxy 6, LG G Flex 2, S6, S7Edge, LG G5, LG G6
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
UptownBoy26 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 8:29 pm
Thanks everyone! Greatly appreciate your input 😃 Looking at the AT&T and T-Mobile plan now.
Have a nice trip to SF.
I mentioned that RM is a Canadian company and it is geared for Canadian going south. You get the SIM card from a local store in TO and set it to activate the minute you land on the tarmac. That saves you the trouble of even finding their (AT&T or T Mobile) store at all.
Daniel

Dec 8, 2012
552 posts
210 upvotes
Calgary
I'm going to Florida for a couple weeks and I'd like to get a local sim's for all my family. What would be the best plan and service provider for casual calling and 1-2GB data per person? I've checked AT&T and T-mobile websites, it looks like t-mobile pay-as-you-go for $3 is the best with 30 min talk time and data 1-WEEK DATA PASS 1GB for $10.
Is there a cheap unlim plan so I can do a wifi hotspot for netflix?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
10891 posts
7406 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Dennisrfd wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 9:50 pm
I'm going to Florida for a couple weeks and I'd like to get a local sim's for all my family. What would be the best plan and service provider for casual calling and 1-2GB data per person? I've checked AT&T and T-mobile websites, it looks like t-mobile pay-as-you-go for $3 is the best with 30 min talk time and data 1-WEEK DATA PASS 1GB for $10.
Is there a cheap unlim plan so I can do a wifi hotspot for netflix?
Grab FreedomPop LTE sims at BestBuy?

Thread merged, btw.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14066 posts
3440 upvotes
London
1. TMobile
tmobile SIM kit sold by Amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/T-Mobile-Complete ... le+sim+kit

These can be activated online while still in canada.

Note that for best Tmobile LTE coverage, you need a phone that supports VoLTE on LTE band12 (700Mhz)
Coverage map will show which rural areas are LTE band 12 700Mhz only
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

Phones that are VoLTE compatible on TM
http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones
..................................................................................

2) ATT

At&T has an unlimited iPad/Tablet LTE data plan for $29, however tethering is blocked at the carrier. You also need a valid iPad or ATT Tablet IMEI to sign up
https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ ... -976008562

Domestic DataConnect Pass Auto Renew Plans* Cost
1GB of data for 30 days Renews every 30 days $14.99 Monthly recurring
Unlimited MB for 30 days Renews every 30 days $29.99 Monthly recurring
After 22GB of data usage, AT&T may slow speeds

Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3149 posts
480 upvotes
I was in San Francisco just last week and got reception pretty much everywhere with Roam Mobility. Stayed at Van Ness and California and didn't really go anywhere remote.

Roam is pretty convenient because you get the sim card here and indicate online when you want the service to start... so just set the start time to when you arrive when you're at the gate, change the sim and voila.... have data when you land.
Jan 24, 2007
177 posts
19 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote:
Mar 21st, 2018 8:11 pm
The data plan of RoamMobility is LTE 2 Gb that lasts for a month if the OP stays for that long. But 2 Gb for 2 weeks is barely enough for 2 persons to share indeed. BTW RM rate is in Can$ as it is a Canadian company
No No I mean it's 2G Data speed with only 512MB of 4G
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5017 posts
820 upvotes
Montreal
I used the CAD$40 Monthly plan from Roam Mobility in Florida in February. It was 1 GB of 4G LTE data and unlimited 2G data thereafter for a month. I was there for 2 weeks and it was more than enough LTE data for me. The other aspect was that since it was used in the US, I only paid GST and no provincial tax.
Phils