Cell Phones

Going to Thailand for 3 weeks - Long distance options?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 3:43 pm
[OP]
Oct 3, 2012
180 posts
29 upvotes
Keswick

Going to Thailand for 3 weeks - Long distance options?

Hi we are thinking of going to Thailand this summer and I am with Koodo mobile. What is my best option for long distance plan?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2302 posts
823 upvotes
Everywhere
Where do you want to call?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4505 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:39 pm
Where do you want to call?
Tip: stay away from caves
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2302 posts
823 upvotes
Everywhere
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 3:50 pm
Tip: stay away from caves
No cell phone coverage Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 23, 2014
102 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If you have wi-fi calling, that will save you a bundle (free long distance calls). You need to have a wifi signal though to make a call.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4505 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
if you use internet to make calls, just use voip like Fongo. I've tried calling Toronto from HK with no issues. As long as the internet signal is strong and fast connection.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1554 posts
426 upvotes
If you're ok with calling from a different number, then as above poster said use Fongo while on wifi.

Even better, if you have an iPhone/iPad, you can use SUDO app which has free calling and free outgoing/incoming texts. (Fongo only has free incoming, you have to pay for outgoing)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14596 posts
5310 upvotes
Oakville
Google's Hangouts Dialer is another option for internet-based calls.

I guess we need more info though - are you looking to call home? How often? Or are you looking to make calls to Thailand while you're in Thailand? Local sims are often a good option, depending on what your usage will be.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 8, 2009
6484 posts
2733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 8:01 pm
if you use internet to make calls, just use voip like Fongo. I've tried calling Toronto from HK with no issues. As long as the internet signal is strong and fast connection.
notfromqc wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:47 am
If you're ok with calling from a different number, then as above poster said use Fongo while on wifi.

Even better, if you have an iPhone/iPad, you can use SUDO app which has free calling and free outgoing/incoming texts. (Fongo only has free incoming, you have to pay for outgoing)
Fongo's a YMMV, as they market Fongo World for those not based in Canada (Canadian Fongo might not work in certain overseas destinations, we'd need a data point on using it in Thailand).
wearysky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:34 am
Google's Hangouts Dialer is another option for internet-based calls.

I guess we need more info though - are you looking to call home? How often? Or are you looking to make calls to Thailand while you're in Thailand? Local sims are often a good option, depending on what your usage will be.
-1, unless using VPN (which can be a hassle, can slow down data speeds depending on location, carrier, device, etc. and some ppl don't know how to use VPN). Hangouts is free outbound Canada/US calling when located in Canada/US. In Thailand, VPN is a must and maybe GPS spoofing to be safe. Ironically, I have used Google Talk to call Canada from Thailand, and that worked. Not sure why Google kills Hangouts for use outside of NA.

Since OP has not responded yet, I'll give a couple scenarios which should answer OP's Q one way or another.

Call Canada from Thailand
VoIP options are cheapest. Get local sim in Thailand, use data or wifi to call Canada via apps. Hangouts might be tricky (explained above). Fongo's a YMMV. I have never tried SUDO. I imagine a free MagicApp (MagicJack) account would enable calling Canada & US from anywhere. Buying FreePhoneLine sip credentials and putting that in a sip client should also work.

Call Thailand from Canada
Interconnect fees to Thailand are not too high. For small usage, consider pay per use by adding airtime to Fongo or Google Hangouts (I have used both).

Other option is the UK forwarding numbers. OP is with Koodo. Get the $20 add-on for 1000 minutes UK calling. Go to FreeUKNumbers, sign up & setup UK forwarding numbers. Configure them to route to contacts in Thailand (or anywhere in Europe, Middle-East, most of Asia, most of Americas, Oceania, and a small part of Africa). If you hit that 1k minutes usage, that's effectively 2¢ per minute.

For above outlet, can substitute Koodo add-on for a VoIP app (paid) but there are few options. Known to work is PhonePower (5k minutes, $25 USD per month). Alternatively Vonage ($30 CAD per month, but they insist on shipping their adapter). PhonePower is better because you don't have to take their adapter, and they give you more airtime for your money. Dial the UK numbers, call the world.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5488 posts
1999 upvotes
Canada
Whatsapp
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer