Parenting & Family

going to try and start a family in a few months, what advice can you give me?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 6:01 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1695 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Don't know your ages....if you're older and time is of the essence, here are some of my tips. These aren't for everyone - I'm pretty Type A and found these worked for me....but for those who are more laid back, it may not be so helpful.
1) Basal body temperature tracking - find out when she ovulates and begin tracking cycles to figure out optimum time to "try" (5 day window before ovulation day). It took me a few months to figure it out - once I did, it happened the very next month.
2) Google "Preseed" and use it
3) For men, the maca supplement can aid in fertility
4) Don't wear tighty whities and stay outta the hot tub. Keep the boys cool.
Jan 17, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 3:34 pm
So my wife and I have decided that in a few months it would be a good time to start a family. All jokes aside (don't do it ect) can you please share any advice or things that we should know before being blessed with a family of our own?

We are going to the doctor to get a preconception checkup and have carrier screening done on both of us. What else do we need to know? I know there are thousands of things and it will be hard to tackle all of the issues, but just throw some at me!

Thanks guys!
Toys are pointless, your child will be more fascinated with your tv remote, even if you think its the coolest/awesome-est/smartest toy in the world, he/she/thy will always choose the remote, a spoon or a used diaper. :P
Nov 10, 2012
547 posts
182 upvotes
Calgary
AmexPlus99 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 3:50 pm
Toys are pointless, your child will be more fascinated with your tv remote, even if you think its the coolest/awesome-est/smartest toy in the world, he/she/thy will always choose the remote, a spoon or a used diaper. :P
A favourite in our house is the cardboard box from Amazon... the contents are ignored half the time it seems with little ones.
Mar 24, 2015
635 posts
144 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
jarfgames wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 8:41 pm
A favourite in our house is the cardboard box from Amazon... the contents are ignored half the time it seems with little ones.
Yup, cardboard boxes always a big hit in our house. The bigger the better!
Empty water bottles too.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4901 posts
834 upvotes
Peterborough
Take zinc and selenium.
Feb 7, 2018
34 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto ON
  1. Don't think it, just do it
  2. Reduce the stress of both of you to minimum
  3. Get a good SLEEP (!!!) :)
  4. Until conception, be sure also to eat very healthy
  5. Attend A PARENTAL CLASS (!!) - your hospital of choice is providing classes - visit one of them. I was very upset how I will handle all this, before attending the class. After I left the classroom I was very confident I can do it.
  6. I guess not everybody will do this, but while wife was in hospital I actually repainted all the walls with one of these low-vo(whatever) paints, to reduce the bacteria at home and refresh. It was summer, so I kept all windows/doors open to get rid of the smell anyway
  7. Make room in your bedroom for a crib and get a nice one, which could change height of the bottom (with a newborn, you don't want your wife to bend too low, so crib bottom must be set high, later you will lower it).
  8. Get some boxes of Pampers (big boxes) - the ones which have a line going from the booty to the front - priceless time saver sometimes, when you check why your baby cries.
  9. ...there is more, but this is enough for a start.
  10. Last - my family doctor told me - try at least 1 year, before worrying it does not work. Then if wife is still not pregnant, come for a screening.
  11. Start looking at child seat prices and stroller prices and who could borrow/give you one for free, if anyone
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1175 posts
311 upvotes
Winnipeg
ginoisselling wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 5:15 pm
[*]I guess not everybody will do this, but while wife was in hospital I actually repainted all the walls with one of these low-vo(whatever) paints, to reduce the bacteria at home and refresh. It was summer, so I kept all windows/doors open to get rid of the smell anyway
You were painting while your wife was delivering your baby? Face Screaming In Fear
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Feb 7, 2018
34 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto ON
amitdi wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 5:30 pm
You were painting while your wife was delivering your baby? Face Screaming In Fear
rofl Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes no. she actually went a bit before that. she had high temperature so she spent few days in advance
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2054 posts
138 upvotes
Unless you know you will have a complicated birth, I recommend you find a Midwife. Midwifes are experts at normal births. They help you with prenatal care. They set 45 minute appointments with you. They want to educate you and answer all your questions. Your midwife will deliver your baby. With an OB you probably have maybe a 1 in 6 change you will get your OB. And they will only run in the room to make the catch.

If complications arise the midwife will turn over care to an OB. When the baby comes your midwife will take back care of you and your baby.

Your midwife comes to your house prior to going to the hospital when you are in labour. You will stay home until it's time to go. After delivery and it's time to go home your midwife comes to your house for your babies first checkup. Your midwife looks after your baby for the first 6 weeks.

I had 3 children with midwifes. One normal birth, the other 2 ended up being complicated. The 2 complicated births care was handed over to an OB, then back to our midwife.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1779 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
What is the cost of hiring a midwife? Is it covered by OHIP?
Nov 25, 2016
57 posts
26 upvotes
Elfwood wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 4:53 pm
What is the cost of hiring a midwife? Is it covered by OHIP?
Covered by ohip. I think I read somewhere that midwives actually cost ohip less than obs, despite having more and longer appointments and care.
Nov 25, 2016
57 posts
26 upvotes
Mikaelali wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 10:24 pm
Covered by ohip. I think I read somewhere that midwives actually cost ohip less than obs, despite having more and longer appointments and care.
Sorry. I think that might be wrong. I think it's covered by ministry of health, not ohip, since you can still get a midwife even if you don't qualify for ohip.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1779 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
So we Ontarian's either get covered for

hiring a midwife and home delivery
OR
getting an OB and hospital delivery

but not covered for both right? So I have to choose between having a midwife and having an OB/hospital?