Shopping Discussion

Going to the US (NYC) - Shopping suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2009 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2259 posts
298 upvotes

Going to the US (NYC) - Shopping suggestions?

Hey guys,

I'm headed down to NYC from Wednesday to Sunday. Unfortunately missing Black Friday, but does anyone have any suggestions for shopping? Any deals going on right now, or recommendations for places to shop?
3 replies
Oct 15, 2007
852 posts
73 upvotes
Not sure if they still have it but Bloomingdales and Macy's have special discount cards (I think 11% of all items) for foreign visitors if you present your passport or foreign driver's license at their Visitor's Center.

There's the Woodbury Common Premium Outlets mall about an hour's drive from NYC. There are many Coach buses that go there if you Google it for something like $20 per person. If you have 4 or more people going, it may be better to rent a car for the day and drive there yourself. I've been there once and didn't find the deals there that great.

There's SOHO, 5th Avenue and Madison for high end items. No sure of any specific deals right now but I wouldn't be surprised if sales are already happening given the bad economy. Unlike in Toronto where 20-25% off are considered "good" bargains, sales in NYC are reals sales - 40-60% off.

As well, there's no State or City tax on clothing and footwear costing $110 or less.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2259 posts
298 upvotes
Thanks, I'm going to hit Woodbury on the way down. Hopefully some BF sales will start early...
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
RedFlagRobot wrote:
Nov 8th, 2009 9:52 pm
Hey guys,

I'm headed down to NYC from Wednesday to Sunday. Unfortunately missing Black Friday, but does anyone have any suggestions for shopping? Any deals going on right now, or recommendations for places to shop?
Yes. Get some decent bagels. Lord knows you can't get them here.