[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3217 posts
361 upvotes
Scarborough
markopas wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 11:11 am
I knew a vegetarian, she did it for 10yrs (0 meat/fish and no eggs) after she started eating real food again she was so much happier ;)

Not saying you can't eat meat but more switching your habits to what you eat is a big thing - work out a meal plan, start working out and occasionally have the chocolate bar or donut or fried chicken is fine but you can't have that every day as a part of your meal or each course could be totally catastrophic for your health and shorten your lifespan. You can be skinny and still be unhealthy.
Yeah, I used to eat 6-10lbs of meat a week. And dairy products I had no problem with. I ate some junk and processed foods. But it was mostly my diet which was consisted of meat, and eggs which had the most significant effect. My health actually started to decline, as I started to go to the bathroom more frequently (early type 2 diabetes symptoms). I felt really lazy, no energy.

I'm starting to realize that eating a more vegan based diet doesnt have to mean gross. I made a dish of pasta plus pinto beans, tomatoes and other ingredients. It was delicious, i had 2 servings.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3217 posts
361 upvotes
Scarborough
Macx2mommy wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 2:18 pm
One of my close friends has been vegetarian for close to 10years (not 100%) sure, and close to to vegan most of the time, probably total strict vegan for 3 or 4 years out of that time. She does it for moral reasons primarily, but does also just does not like not meat. She is not judgey or anything or tries to convert any one. Health wise she has said thatthere are just as many unhealthy vegetarians as French fries and p8l or vegetarian. So you really have to cut out the junk regardless of you are a meat eater or not.

As a vegetarian, to be healthy, you really need to do some planning even more so as a vegan. There are a lot hidden dairy products such a gelatine, butter, meat by products, that make it harder for vegans tha don’t cook everything themself. Restaurants will put stuff in not realizing it’s not vegan, eating at friends places is hard too. That was one of the reasons my friend doesn’t term herself vegan anymore. She found she could eat out with friends as a vegetarian fairly easily but vegan she had to almost bring everything herself. I made a beautiful vet Ariane pasta dish f9r her, only to realize that the fresh pasta I used had egg. I didn’t even think of that when I bought the pasta. We bot( felt bad. At home she tries to be vegan though.

If you really want to do this make sure you fridge, frozen and pantry are well stocked. When my friend is organized, she has no problems eating healthy, but when she isn’t, it makes it More difficult.
I want to avoid the cult like mentality you mentioned in your post. Being a vegan shouldnt mean you are strict religious follower of some dogma. If say you eat meat once in a blue moon at a party, or your diet of meat/dairy is below some level, then I think that you are pretty much a vegan. Say you eat half a pound of meat/dairy a week. Compared to the average person that consumes 5-6lbs or more, I think you should be considered a vegan. Having a purist mentality is one of the reason we have terrorist in this world.
Mar 3, 2011
894 posts
990 upvotes
There are tests that can be run to check your blood type - the blood type is then run under some tests and they tell you what types of foods you should be eating based on the results, have heard positive results from these and have been thinking about doing it myself to see where I am lacking and what I should be eating more of and what I should be cutting out.

You might find no positive results in becoming a vegetarian or a vegan, you also might suffer in other ways as in nutrients and proteins where you will have to start substituting meat for pills and what fun is that.

I think the best thing for you would be to cut the junk out all together, sugar is the number 1 problem for most people especially those who dont know how to control themselves, they say that sugar addiction is a close to being addicted to crack.

Here is something I can suggest for you try and it's super healthy and I have seen great results in doing it myself. I guarantee you will fall off the bandwagon but that's fine because I've been there multiple times.

Look in to the South Beach Diet - you start off with phase 1 - this phase is pretty much a detox, after the 2 weeks are up you move to phase 2 which will slowly introduce new foods for you followed by a phase 3 then phase 4. If I had eaten something that was not on the list on phase 1, I would start day 1 of this phase but that's up to you and how serious you are about this. I think this will be a good thing for you to learn and re-train your mind and body on how to properly eat and be healthy. If you think you want to become a vegetarian and still eat junk food, you are going down the wrong path.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3217 posts
361 upvotes
Scarborough
markopas wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:01 pm
There are tests that can be run to check your blood type - the blood type is then run under some tests and they tell you what types of foods you should be eating based on the results, have heard positive results from these and have been thinking about doing it myself to see where I am lacking and what I should be eating more of and what I should be cutting out.

You might find no positive results in becoming a vegetarian or a vegan, you also might suffer in other ways as in nutrients and proteins where you will have to start substituting meat for pills and what fun is that.

I think the best thing for you would be to cut the junk out all together, sugar is the number 1 problem for most people especially those who dont know how to control themselves, they say that sugar addiction is a close to being addicted to crack.

Here is something I can suggest for you try and it's super healthy and I have seen great results in doing it myself. I guarantee you will fall off the bandwagon but that's fine because I've been there multiple times.

Look in to the South Beach Diet - you start off with phase 1 - this phase is pretty much a detox, after the 2 weeks are up you move to phase 2 which will slowly introduce new foods for you followed by a phase 3 then phase 4. If I had eaten something that was not on the list on phase 1, I would start day 1 of this phase but that's up to you and how serious you are about this. I think this will be a good thing for you to learn and re-train your mind and body on how to properly eat and be healthy. If you think you want to become a vegetarian and still eat junk food, you are going down the wrong path.
That DNA thing sounds interesting, something I'd consider if the price was reasonable. I already have a general idea of the kinds of diseases that run in my family. Both parents have diabetes. My father type 1 and mom type 2. My dad had cancer recently which is now under control.

I won't be going a complete vegan, at least not in the short to medium term. I'll be reducing my meat/dairy consumption significantly though. Junk food...I'll reduce that as well but I'm more hesitant about this to be honest.

You maybe right that I will fall of the wagon at some point, but since I'm losing weight and already feeling better than I have in a while, I'm going to keep up my efforts. Also, I won't be crushed by lapses in my self control. I never pledged to never stop eating meat/dairy all together, just that I would significantly cut back. Yesterday I was 99% vegitarian. Today it's the same story.

I'll look into the south beach diet, but I'm not into fad things. I am using a recipe book I got from a site to guide me, so it's not too hard to stay on the wagon so far.
Oct 18, 2015
95 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kudos for the OP for having the courage and commitment to better yourself in the new year -- if you think going vegan would be a mean of archiving that, great!

You can eat healthily without going vegan, the same way you can eat unhealthily being vegan -- you can easily make vegan fries/potato chips, but having that all day isn't going to get you any healthier than a lean meat based diet. I find that most diets work by restricting "bad foods" -- i.e., if you are eating tofu instead of bacon, that's a positive change that works because you are eating less bacon, not because you are eating tofu. If you just eat a grilled chicken breast instead, you would get great benefits as well. If that makes sense to you, then really you don't need to go full vegan; you just need to be mindful about what you eat and substitute bad stuff with better stuff. Instead of eating chips with you are bored, eat banana chips; instead of fries with your burger, have a second burger, that sort of thing. You might find that much easier to commit to.

If you are doing it for ethnical reasons, that's a whole different discussion. I don't want to go too deeply into it, but my view is that if you are concerned about inhumane treatment of the animals before we slaughter, we should solve that problem by implementing more humane methods instead of avoiding the whole class of food altogether. If you are trying to avoid taking lives, then you need to be much more restrictive than vegan; you can only eat fruits and other parts that can be eaten without killing the plant -- and if you want to go further and try to reduce suffering, it has been proven that plants also feel pain so your diet is probably going to get very, very restrictive (only fruits?). If that's the concern, then eggs, milk, etc. should be okay just as tomatoes, apples, etc. are okay. I think a more realistic approach would be pushing for more ethnical treatment of animals, as well as only buying what we eat, instead of restricting certain food from our diets.
Jun 5, 2017
558 posts
53 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
eyeball123 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:40 pm
I don't want to go too deeply into it, but my view is that if you are concerned about inhumane treatment of the animals before we slaughter, we should solve that problem by implementing more humane methods instead of avoiding the whole class of food altogether.
we need ethical, competent politicians who actually care to do this, i certainly support doing this. but most politicians and parties are bought and controlled by corporations who fund their campaigns and fight against this movement, which is corruption of course, but no one stands up and says anything about it.
eyeball123 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 7:40 pm
If you are trying to avoid taking lives, then you need to be much more restrictive than vegan; you can only eat fruits and other parts that can be eaten without killing the plant -- and if you want to go further and try to reduce suffering, it has been proven that plants also feel pain so your diet is probably going to get very, very restrictive (only fruits?).
im sorry...what? vegetable and fruit plants are alive yes, but they dont necessarily feel pain.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/ ... l-pain.htm

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/ ... out-plants
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3506 posts
1310 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 4:12 pm

I'll look into the south beach diet, but I'm not into fad things.
Just a reminder that former U.S. President Bill Clinton was on the South Beach diet and raving about his weight loss, before his first heart operation in 2004.

Biggest Loser trainer Bob Harper was on a Paleo diet before he got his heart attack last year. Something to consider.

Heart disease in Canada is still the number one killer and these low carb diets aren't going to protect you from that.

If you want to don't want to go full whole foods, plant based but have a chance of protecting your health and still eat small portions of meat and/or fish then you'll probably be better off reading any of the Pritikin books and website or The Blue Zones books which you'll be able to get at most libraries. Another good series of books are "Preventing Cancer Reducing The Risks", "Foods That Fight Cancer" and "Eating Well, Living Well" by cancer researchers Richard Beliveau, Ph. D. & Denis Gingras, Ph.D. at the University of Quebec.
Mar 3, 2011
894 posts
990 upvotes
No one said that you can't eat carbs, carbs should be part of your eating regimen. Those that think carbs are bad for you are off their rocker and truly on a fad because someone told or they are looking at hollywood for the next big thing.

The south beach diet helps to re-teach your body and mind how to eat properly again and slowly re-introducing things back in to your body in phases and not long period ones.

Peoples health issues are not because they went on a diet, the problem these people had could stem from any number of things that have either happened through their life or just something that is hereditary. In this case, the OP has to look out for and should be screen regularly for Type 1 and 2 diabetes and cancer - doesn't matter how healthy you are you will still be prone to something and be lucky if you get none of it.

I had a blood allergy test completed and there are two types which can be completed, a more basic less costly and more advanced but higher cost but provide more in-depth information letting you know what body has sensitives to by aggressive and mild allergies. Things in the severe category are things that you most commonly eat too much of and should steer away from eating for about a year for your body to counter and rebalance while the mild sensitivities are things that should probably be avoided for up to 6mo. before slowly re-introducing them back in to your diet/routine.

The other test which I have not completed which I heard so much about is the blood type testing for foods you should be eating regardless if your morals tell you that you shouldn't be eating un-ethically killed creatures. Yes, I think animals should be killed humanely, does that make the food any taste any worse - I have eaten and cooked both with side by side comparison with no absolute difference.

If you want be more serious about the type of meat you eat, look at eating Halal based meats - this may be a little more on the conscious side of your morals.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5131 posts
482 upvotes
markopas wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:01 pm

Blood type diets are BS and are not based on any science.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 172246.htm

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/th ... w#section4
Jul 31, 2017
934 posts
240 upvotes
Dr. Oz says don't eat between 9 pm and 9 am, but I've heard from people that fast and they say nothing major happens until 16 hours, so you need to do 9 pm - 11:59 am the next day. You don't need to do it every day, but it might be a good idea to?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2503 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
BritishColumbian wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:15 am
Dr. Oz says don't eat between 9 pm and 9 am, but I've heard from people that fast and they say nothing major happens until 16 hours, so you need to do 9 pm - 11:59 am the next day. You don't need to do it every day, but it might be a good idea to?
WTF???? Are people seriously believing this?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6180 posts
1342 upvotes
So I watched the "What The Health" documentary, and I quite liked it. Thanks for mentioning it in this thread.
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:45 am
Are you serious? One EXTREMELY one sided documentary changed your mind about what / how you should be eating? Maybe do a bit more research and you will quickly see that even hard core vegans have problems with that garbage documentary.
I'm just curious if you could refer to, or explain why you consider this documentary "garbage"? I consider myself pretty well-versed in nutritional literature; I expected it to feature extremists, celebrities (produced by Joaquin Phoenix, heh), etc. and I thought it was actually quite well-informed even if I don't adhere to or endorse veganism.

I would have a hard time completely giving up my occasional cappuccino, ice cream, cheeses, or eggs...but I don't have any of these every single day.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1685 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
I'm sure you received very good tips here. But I'd like to add my 2 cents. 3 yrs back, I reduced my weight from 200 to 160 lb in a period of 5-6 months. I'll give you some tips that can also be applied in your case. These are based on my own experience and not based on any expert advice, but they have worked for me and I am confident that they'll work for you too.

- First of all, make sure you think about your goal daily. Maybe write it down somewhere or atleast think of what you did to achieve your goal today. This will tune your mind to the seriousness of it.

- Dont try too many changes at once. Then, it will be laborious to you. You dont want to be vegan for 3 months and go back to square one. You want to sustain your habit, so it has to be incorporated smoothly in your lifestyle. Try only one change, whatever it can be. Make sure you follow it daily. Learn to be comfortable with it. If you think you can not follow-through on this change, make some tweaks or just give up that change and go on to another change. If you are trying to force-through, it'll only work for a while.

- Only when the first change is part of your lifestyle, try another idea. Repeat above process with this change. Make sure you get comfortable with the two changes. Then go on to make another and repeat.

- When you come to subsequent changes after you have successfully gone through 2-4 of them, it will be easy-peasy.

- Dont make goals or discuss your achievements in front of family or friends. But if they ask, then you can talk. But avoid speaking yourself. For me, I never mentioned my weight loss to anyone but after a while, people started talking about it as I was getting skinnier. That gave an altogether different high and I was very motivated. One even asked me if I have some sort life threatening disease.

- Track your changes daily (this can be weekly especially because we have different diets for weekend and weekdays with parties, etc). So even though you dont have any goal, you need to track changes in the positive direction. I can try to explain this with an example. Say, for example your one change that you are trying to get comfortable is to reduce beef. In week 1, you had 3 bowls equivalent of beef. In week 2, since your change is to reduce beef, you have to eat 2.5 or less bowls of beef. It doesnt matter if the reduction is only slight (in fact avoid abrupt changes, see point # 1), but most important thing is not to go back. So once you reach 2.5 bowls, dont go back to 3 bowls. You can only reduce, however slow it may be. Once in a while, you may have to break the rule (especially if you are at an event or someone insists), but thats okay as an exception.

All the best !
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams