• Feb 10th, 2018 12:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
BritishColumbian wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 1:15 am
Dr. Oz says don't eat between 9 pm and 9 am, but I've heard from people that fast and they say nothing major happens until 16 hours, so you need to do 9 pm - 11:59 am the next day. You don't need to do it every day, but it might be a good idea to?
Thinking Face I know this post is directed to op but this insight has me curious into adopting into my lifestyle.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6059 posts
1310 upvotes
I'm suspicious of the intermittent fasting claims which seem really faddish, and I do wonder if it has more to do with having people control how much they eat overall, and minimizing mindless eating.

I have read that longer periods of occasional/seasonal fasting or semi-fasting (e.g. 1 week or more) can simulate overall caloric restriction, which seem to get the body to move into "austerity" mode and possibly make changes towards more efficient metabolism. Some people alternatively do a regimen of fasting every other day, or fasting on the weekends, etc. People who have done longer-term vegetable juice fasts or "cleanses" have also achieved metabolic readjustments and weight loss, but they didn't have to restrict the hours in which they consumed. I've done a 20-day fresh vegetable juice fast (I got sluggish after the 2-week mark, like my glycogen stores were really depleted) and some people have done these for 6-8 weeks. I think they are just slightly different ways of achieving similar things, getting the body to get rid of excess metabolic by products, and become more efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8484 posts
768 upvotes
I would usually recommend those who are looking for changes to start slow and let your body adjust.

Can be as simple as eating less or cutting out sugar, pop, dairy, meat etc....little by little and then see how you feel and the changes you notice.

Cold turkey or fasting seems a bit extreme especially given the long stretches some have recommended.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 2:14 pm
I'm suspicious of the intermittent fasting claims which seem really faddish, and I do wonder if it has more to do with having people control how much they eat overall, and minimizing mindless eating.
I wouldn't recommend someone to get into fasting cause it's in fashion. My interest lies a bit beyond health reasons alone so if someone is getting into this practice I would caution them cause the feeling isn't pretty if they're used to eating all the time lol. It's better if they cut away filler food like speedyforme said.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3422 posts
1221 upvotes
I've got absolutely nothing against intermittent fasting. I only wish I could do it. In fact I did try the Fast-5 for a short time last spring, but the problem was my blood pressure skyrocketed upwards, so I had to quit. Other than that, I'm fairly sure I could of carried on with it.

Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2379 posts
342 upvotes
Mississauga
peanutz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 12:30 pm
So I watched the "What The Health" documentary, and I quite liked it. Thanks for mentioning it in this thread.

I'm just curious if you could refer to, or explain why you consider this documentary "garbage"? I consider myself pretty well-versed in nutritional literature; I expected it to feature extremists, celebrities (produced by Joaquin Phoenix, heh), etc. and I thought it was actually quite well-informed even if I don't adhere to or endorse veganism.

I would have a hard time completely giving up my occasional cappuccino, ice cream, cheeses, or eggs...but I don't have any of these every single day.
Informed? Of what? Also lets let the OP get more good avice with how to proceed and not cloud the thread with side topics ;)

Here are two pretty good take downs of all the problems with the film:
https://vox.com/science-and-health/2017 ... vegan-diet
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-t ... an-agenda/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38492 posts
3200 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:09 pm
I wouldn't recommend someone to get into fasting cause it's in fashion. My interest lies a bit beyond health reasons alone so if someone is getting into this practice I would caution them cause the feeling isn't pretty if they're used to eating all the time lol. It's better if they cut away filler food like speedyforme said.
I agree... whats the point? For millions of years since ancient times people have been skinny and ripped eating 3 square meals a day.

Portion sizes too. Aint nothing wrong with a steak dinner... but it is when its mostly steak and potatoes with no veggies.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6059 posts
1310 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 3:47 pm
Informed? Of what?

Also lets let the OP get more good avice with how to proceed and not cloud the thread with side topics ;)
Nutritional science, physiology, scientific method, evidence-based clinical health recommendations? This discussion is relevant to the OP's goals.
Both authors use strawmen to attack the documentary. Yes, I agree the documentary is skewed towards typical media hyperbole (e.g. eating cigarettes from a plate) in promoting veganism, but these authors themselves engage in much exaggeration to bash the film. Lots of emotion. They're grasping for their own "gotcha!" They're also nitpicking the differences between clinical outcomes vs. relative risk, but it's not like the typical person is going to be thrilled to read this:
They cite a Harvard study showing that one serving of processed meats a day raises the risk of diabetes by 51%, but this 2017 systematic review says it raises the risk by 19%. And remember, this is relative risk, not absolute risk.
"Oh boy, it's just 19% increased relative risk, time to grill more sausages for my kids and continue to pack their bologne sandwiches for lunch. KFC bucket dinner!"

Yet somehow we can all agree that the overall population in Canada and the US can stand to consume less animal flesh and products, for the better? Government advertisements promoting the continued consumption at current levels don't inspire outrage from you, but vegan interests do? lol.

Dr. Oz had a hilarious and apt comment on the documentary (and let's not just attack him or what he has to say because he peddles dubious supplements...his medical chops are real):

"Everything in moderation" is cliche and unhelpful because uh, we all know some people's ideas of moderation are...different.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8484 posts
768 upvotes
How do you guys feel about the whole farming animal products and its negative impact on the environment and ecology?

Also does anyone still drink cows milk or serves it to their children?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11654 posts
1664 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I just drank a glass of milk a few minutes ago.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6059 posts
1310 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:20 pm
Also does anyone still drink cows milk
I do when I have cappuccinos or lattes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8484 posts
768 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:28 pm
I do when I have cappuccinos or lattes.
I am the same. I also eat ice cream and cakes and cheese. I just don't find the need to DRINK cow milk as a beverage.

Also I wonder if the claims about over fishing is true, sort of scary though.
Dec 21, 2016
144 posts
85 upvotes
No matter what OP’s final decision is, I respect you. I work in the health food store. We Carry tons of vegetarian and vegan foods. Sadly, lots of them are still processed food. I saw few of your comments that you are going to eat less meat and dairy. I put some of my thoughts into few points:
1. Eat plant-based food.
2. Less or even no process food.(cook from scratch)
3. Find balance in food- Don’t eat too much of any kinds of food even if it’s good for you.(too much good will become bad)
4. Eat more variety of food
5. Watch out where your foods sources coming from.
6. Regular exercise into daily life
7. More water less juice or pop

I only put a few points, I am sure there are way more points. Good thing is there are so many ideas you can find online, such as cooking tip, plant based food...etc.
BTW. Want to be more mindful, less waste, more eco-friendly.

I wish you all the health, happiness in 2018 and coming future. Happy New Year
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:20 pm
How do you guys feel about the whole farming animal products and its negative impact on the environment and ecology?

Also does anyone still drink cows milk or serves it to their children?
I enjoy drinking cow's milk. People have been against it but I have a hard time giving it up.