• Feb 10th, 2018 12:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8271 posts
736 upvotes
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:28 am
I enjoy drinking cow's milk. People have been against it but I have a hard time giving it up.
Honestly, I just don't like the taste. Hated it growing up so I just stopped drinking it on my own before I read anything related to its health benefits/concerns.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2299 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:29 am
Honestly, I just don't like the taste. Hated it growing up so I just stopped drinking it on my own before I read anything related to its health benefits/concerns.
I dont like the taste of this watered down processed milk. When we lived on a farm, had our own cows and we milked them. Nothing like like nice warm cup of milk straight from the cows teet :)
Now I buy goat milk, love the taste.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2936 posts
357 upvotes
Scarborough
Chris258852 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:17 am
No matter what OP’s final decision is, I respect you. I work in the health food store. We Carry tons of vegetarian and vegan foods. Sadly, lots of them are still processed food. I saw few of your comments that you are going to eat less meat and dairy. I put some of my thoughts into few points:
1. Eat plant-based food.
2. Less or even no process food.(cook from scratch)
3. Find balance in food- Don’t eat too much of any kinds of food even if it’s good for you.(too much good will become bad)
4. Eat more variety of food
5. Watch out where your foods sources coming from.
6. Regular exercise into daily life
7. More water less juice or pop

I only put a few points, I am sure there are way more points. Good thing is there are so many ideas you can find online, such as cooking tip, plant based food...etc.
BTW. Want to be more mindful, less waste, more eco-friendly.

I wish you all the health, happiness in 2018 and coming future. Happy New Year
thanks for the well wishes! I hope the same for you as well, good health and a great new year! The last 3 days I was nearly completely vegan and my body felt amazing. I broke from that a bit today because of lack of options for breakfast and enjoyed two delicious tuna sandwiches. I'm not taking it too hard, because I never set such crazy expectations of my self from the beginning. I'm not giving up on my goals however, just going to brush it off and keep minimizing my meat/dairy intake as I originally decided. For this past week I've probably eaten less than 1lb of meat in total, and dairy products as well significantly reduced. I find it more difficult to reduce my dairy than meat now. I love chocolates, cheese, eggs, cakes and giving these up have been pretty hard on me haha.

The hardest part of being a vegan in my opinion is the planning parts. You need to do a lot of the cooking yourself and plan things out for meals not just for the same day but the following days. Especially for people who are very busy with work, being a vegan might be more difficult. Organization and forward thinking is key to being a proper vegan. If your not fully prepared, you will be tempted to snack on the easily available meat/dairy that is in your fridge.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8271 posts
736 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:32 am
I dont like the taste of this watered down processed milk. When we lived on a farm, had our own cows and we milked them. Nothing like like nice warm cup of milk straight from the cows teet :)
Now I buy goat milk, love the taste.
Oh god that descriptions sounds gross to me. LOL.

I used to drink warm milk brought to work. So gross....
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2299 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
To the OP.
Everything in moderation. No need to cut anything out from your diet unless there is a medical reason to be honest.

“Eat whole foods. Not too much. Mostly plants. Move a litle.”

Also, I know its frowned upon and to me this is easy since I eat like this pretty much all the time, do a Whole 30. Its not a diet, its not meant for you to loose weight. When you start to re-introduce food back into your system you will quickly find out if maybe meat was not the culprit after all?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2299 posts
301 upvotes
Mississauga
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:34 am
Oh god that descriptions sounds gross to me. LOL.

I used to drink warm milk brought to work. So gross....
Not the same thing. I hate store bought warm milk lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2936 posts
357 upvotes
Scarborough
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:20 pm
How do you guys feel about the whole farming animal products and its negative impact on the environment and ecology?

Also does anyone still drink cows milk or serves it to their children?
yeah, one of the reasons for trying out the vegan thing is how much animal products have an effect on our environment. If everyone cuts out meat even one day a week, I think we would make huge progress on tackling climate change and land deforestation. However, my main motive is my health....if not for that I would probably have kept on eating meat/chugging down dairy without a care in the world. Sad to say, i'm pretty selfish...maybe thats just how humans are.
Dec 21, 2016
134 posts
83 upvotes
I hear you. I am not even closed to vegetarian. But yeah I also minimized my meat and dairy. I eat 3 meals a day. I will do like 1 meal with meat only.
Planning part is never easy for both vegan or non-vegan. I started to cook bigger batch. Just to save money and everything.
Once you get used to it, it will get easier and fun.

https://www.mnn.com/food/recipes/storie ... ourguignon
Try this dish if you ever get a chance. I made this for my vegan friends last thanksgiving. Everyone loves it.
Dec 21, 2016
134 posts
83 upvotes
sn00ch wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:23 pm
What did you use as a substitute for butter?
I believe I didn’t add or I added coconut oil.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2164 posts
648 upvotes
If everyone in the world became vegan, wouldn't farm animals cease to exist?
Which would be the opposite of what vegans would want, no?
Jun 5, 2017
374 posts
39 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
sn00ch wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:23 pm
What did you use as a substitute for butter?
almond butter is a good choice.
Jun 5, 2017
374 posts
39 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
toronto19850 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 6:35 pm
If everyone in the world became vegan, wouldn't farm animals cease to exist?
Which would be the opposite of what vegans would want, no?
no, vegans and environmentalists by and large want the unethical treatment of animals to end. and it should, because its unethical to treat them the way they do. we as humans must aspire to be better than we are now, we cant live as savage neanderthals. religious or not, we must all be more ethical for our own salvation, well being and survival of the human race.

veganism would still exist, but be much more minimal if we humans were more ethical.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2164 posts
648 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:24 pm
no, vegans and environmentalists by and large want the unethical treatment of animals to end. and it should, because its unethical to treat them the way they do. we as humans must aspire to be better than we are now, we cant live as savage neanderthals. religious or not, we must all be more ethical for our own salvation, well being and survival of the human race.

veganism would still exist, but be much more minimal if we humans were more ethical.
So what you're saying is vegans are okay with eating animal products from animals that are not raised unethically?
Why not eat halal meat in that case?
I was under the impression it was different than that
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5700 posts
1106 upvotes
Hey, I just found that you can watch "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" for free on the internet. I don't consider it to be a scientifically rigorous treatise, but view it for entertainment/general inspiration/ideas.

https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat ... arly-dead/

I think it's pretty inspiring/motivating, even for anyone not intending to go strict vegan long term.

And here is Dr. Fuhrman's plant-based, non-vegan pyramid (featured in the documentary):

What I believe in differently is that if we are consuming dairy in a limited quantity...I go for the fat-containing versions. Like 2% milk in cappuccinos, full-fat cheeses, traditional butter, premium ice creams.