• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 12:03 pm
Tags:
Apr 18, 2017
217 posts
78 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 6:04 pm
The second argument that you made doesnt make sense. I'm not that against eating animals but, it's not like we'd suddenly just stop eating meat one day. It would be a gradual reduction
It was a tongue in cheek comment, merely meant to point out a fallacy.
Obviously all domestic animals couldn't be released at once. Poultry alone would be a close to a million birds in Ontario.

Point stands, that they need husbandry to survive because we have made them the way they are.
Otherwise it means their extinction. Whether by gradual reduction or wholesale slaughter.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7266 posts
1718 upvotes
Toronto
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 11:59 am
so after doing some research I have decided i'm not going to be a full vegan. Ive always known that extremism in any kind of form can lead you down a painful path, and this is one of those learning experiences. I'm not going to start eating full on meat again like I was before but after reading about how omega 3 deficiency in vegans/vegetarians is contributing to diseases, I have decided i'm going to be okay with eating fish on occasion. More importantly I will begin to supplement with fish oils as well as flaxseed/chiaseeds on top of b12 and my multivitamins.

Research shows that maintaining a ratio of 1:1 omega3 to omega6 is important to good health. On top of that, EPA and DHA--both of which are important for your health aren't readily found in any vegetarian source. A precursor molecule is found in plant sources such as flaxseed/chiaseeds but your body is only able to convert a small fraction (10%) to the needed compounds. Its not only vegans however that have an issue with this because omega3, EPA and DHA aren't found in any real meat source except for fish.

Bottom line is I will be supplementing with fishoils on top of adding flaxseeds/chiaseeds to my diet
grass-fed animals (i.e. cows, bison, lamb, etc) are a good source of omega 3.
...good to see you have started to educate yourself
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5008 posts
433 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 4:26 pm
The amount of Omega 3s in grass fed beef is higher than non grass fed but it still pales in comparison to fish, by a long shot.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7266 posts
1718 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 6:17 pm
The amount of Omega 3s in grass fed beef is higher than non grass fed but it still pales in comparison to fish, by a long shot.
certain types of seafood are very high in omega 3's. in addition to omega 3 grass fed ruminants also provide a good source CLA, heme iron, etc.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5008 posts
433 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 7:34 pm
certain types of seafood are very high in omega 3's. in addition to omega 3 grass fed ruminants also provide a good source CLA, heme iron, etc.
Yeah, I should've specified that it's not all fish. Stuff like mackerel, sardines, and salmon are up near the top iirc. Grass fed beef *has* Omega 3, but what I was trying to say is that it's not really a good source compared to some fish.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3414 posts
1214 upvotes
At least I can say my breakfasts have been vegan for the last few years. Steel cut oats, fruit, soy drink, whole grain toast and nut butter. Never seem to get tired of it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8449 posts
762 upvotes
Stryker wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:32 am
At least I can say my breakfasts have been vegan for the last few years. Steel cut oats, fruit, soy drink, whole grain toast and nut butter. Never seem to get tired of it.
Me too..... VEGA ONE + nut milk and sometimes frozen fruit. I've evolved from eggs (never kept me full) to yogurt and granola/fruit (never kept me full) to greek yogurt (never kept me full) and even oatmeal (did not enjoy).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8449 posts
762 upvotes
Saw the MISO HUNGRY video. Quite entertaining. Certainly more comedy than anything else but it was cute.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
Stryker wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:32 am
It's a very filling breakfast. I had 1.5 bowls of cereal with soy milk, an avacado, an apple and a bowl of soup (brocolli, pasta, beans, carrots, potatoes). My stomach is about to burst.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 4:26 pm
Grass fed beef?? Hahaha wow that is funny. This isn't the 50s buddy. If you want real grass fed beef you will have to pay big bucks. And not to mention, the amount of Omega 3 is still tiny compared to fish.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
An update: in the last two weeks I have eaten very little chicken and no beef... low enough to say it's insignificant. I have eaten some tuna fish however that has also been very little. I've taken daily fish oil supplements and chicken bouillon cubes in my soup(sort of meat I guess).

My experience so far is that it's not too difficult. I mean you have to have a few recipes on hand which I did in order to not get bored. On top of that I bought some chips and other snacks in order to make things easier. The most difficult thing is giving up dairy. I've not been as successful in that area because of chocolate and cookies. Again I cut back significantly but it's too difficult to do a complete removal from the diet.

The reason I've been successful in my goal and why many vegans aren't is because I never set a strict set of rules for myself based on questionable moral principles. I did it mainly for my health and also my own principles on minimizing my affect on the environment. I never beat myself too bad if I ate some meat out of temptation. In fact I encouraged myself to eat meat on some days just to make it easier to achieve my main goals. Having a purist mentality to lifestyle changes isn't good. So far so good.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2352 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:58 am
Saw the MISO HUNGRY video. Quite entertaining. Certainly more comedy than anything else but it was cute.
Yea I watched it too last night. I only watched to see him go into proper jananese household to see what they eat and how they prep it. Besides that, its just another fat snob quickly loosing weight and then gaining it all back and some.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2302 posts
686 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 10:44 am
It's a very filling breakfast. I had 1.5 bowls of cereal with soy milk, an avacado, an apple and a bowl of soup (brocolli, pasta, beans, carrots, potatoes). My stomach is about to burst.
Ever have diarrhea from that? soy milk + soup, cereal, an avocado, apple, veggies/beans/pasta sounds like a bathroom disaster
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
toronto19850 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:09 pm
Ever have diarrhea from that? soy milk + soup, cereal, an avocado, apple, veggies/beans/pasta sounds like a bathroom disaster
Not diarrhea, it's been solid so far. Also my constipation is gone so I've had some fairly close calls. A good thing with this diet is that I drop a deuce like clockwork. Every morning around 7:30 am haha.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7445 posts
1155 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 4:01 pm
a)
B12, I do believe is indeed the hardest thing for a vegan to obtain.
50% of daily recommended in 1 cup of fortified plant milk alone. dollartree gets various varieties of the Dream brand over the last year on a regular basis