Fashion & Apparel

Going to a wedding - groomsman - anyway to get a better price on the tux rental?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 4:41 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2013
191 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto

Going to a wedding - groomsman - anyway to get a better price on the tux rental?

Hi all,

I'm going to be a groomsman at a friend's wedding and I would've preferred to buy a tux from Macy's or in the US but the couple decided on going with moores. Now, it's going to cost quite a bit for the full rental but I'm wondering if anyone knows tips, or tricks to bring the price down.

There's a group discount but it's not a significant amount. If it's not possible, that's okay. I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
1 reply
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1669 posts
356 upvotes
Unionville, ON
aaronjtml wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:13 pm
Hi all,

I'm going to be a groomsman at a friend's wedding and I would've preferred to buy a tux from Macy's or in the US but the couple decided on going with moores. Now, it's going to cost quite a bit for the full rental but I'm wondering if anyone knows tips, or tricks to bring the price down.

There's a group discount but it's not a significant amount. If it's not possible, that's okay. I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
Get the groom to pay for all of it or half. Usually, by tradition the bridal party buys a gift for groomsman and bridesmaid as a token of thanks. (I've received personalized silver money clips, silver pens, etc.) Instead of receiving a gift, maybe ask them to foot the bill for the rental. It's about $180 at Moores or less for the day right? Suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. You already have the group discount, there's really nothing else you can do short of knowing someone at Moores and asking them to get you the employee discount. You don't want to ask the groom to switch to a cheaper rental place since they've settled on Moores.

Failing that, if renting from Moores (considered to be on the lower tier of formal rentals) is out of your current budget, step down as a groomsman and go as a guest instead. You'll enjoy the wedding more.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel