Ongoing Deal Discussion

On-Going Western Digital Red HDD Deals (added larger drives)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 3:44 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3171 posts
752 upvotes

On-Going Western Digital Red HDD Deals (added larger drives)

Alright. Our digital assets, whether it be audio, video or data is only going to grow. It's become a real nuisance to maintain and backup. To help, this is a thread to monitor and list all Western Digital Red Harddrives. These Red drives are a trusted line of harddrives that is extremely popular for longer term storage and meant for NAS / server usage. But, they can also be used as a secondary drive in any PC as well.

There is no massive deal yet but let's get it started to get a jump on the deals. So post any good deals that you discover. Let's help each other try and get some control back with all the data that is accumulating in our storage!

1TB - WD10EFRX - $74.97

2TB - WD20EFRX - $109.79

3TB - WD30EFRX - $139.79

4TB - WD40EFRX - $199.99

Add-On: Updating a note of caution for anyone wondering what RED drives are. From one of my later posts. "Be careful gang, the red drives are meant to not kill servers and raid when a sector goes bad. In normal drives, the drive will repeatedly try to access the bad sector hoping to retrieve your data. This continuos search may break raid arrays and other server set ups, hence the red drives quickly closes the bad sector to prevent this from happening, and in the process keeps the server / NAS in tact but at the same time you may lose the piece of data in that sector. For a desktop, you may not want this as you want as much time as possible to recover whatever is in that sector going bad. Hope this helps."

Edited post title to include all RED drives regardless of capacity. Enjoy!
Last edited by bowmah on Nov 15th, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
234 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3171 posts
752 upvotes
Man, prices for these REDs have not budged in quite a few weeks. Can't wait till the deals start showing up either Black Friday, Cyber Monday or Boxing Day. Come on, hop to it!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
4980 posts
1072 upvotes
Kanata
Subscribed! Looking for a 3TB for my NAS, thanks for the thread
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Nov 8, 2012
733 posts
200 upvotes
Looking for at least 2 4TB Reds for under $300.
Oct 5, 2005
396 posts
46 upvotes
OttRFD wrote:
Nov 25th, 2013 3:29 pm
Looking for at least 2 4TB Reds for under $300.
Aren't we all, brother... Aren't we all....
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14299 posts
861 upvotes
Markham
why not include other drives as well in your list? like the GREEN series
ShadowVlican
Dec 26, 2007
384 posts
102 upvotes
Montreal
Avoid buying hard drives from Newegg. This store's inadequate HDD packing process is responsible for the DOAs and bad reviews all drives are getting over there. Use their deals to pricematch with NCIX or Memory Express, these two actually handle drives a whole lot better than the egg.
Oct 2, 2011
89 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
looking for 3 WD30EFRX to build my NAS. cheapest one I can find right now is 135 from Amazon.ca. free shipping and 1% cash back from ebates.ca. never bought internal drive from amazon. how they ship hd compare with newegg? thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3171 posts
752 upvotes
Looks like the deals are beginning to hit the shelves. Keep them coming gang. I can only hold off a few more weeks before data over flows!
Nov 20, 2009
611 posts
247 upvotes
RMSimard wrote:
Nov 26th, 2013 12:00 am
Avoid buying hard drives from Newegg. This store's inadequate HDD packing process is responsible for the DOAs and bad reviews all drives are getting over there. Use their deals to pricematch with NCIX or Memory Express, these two actually handle drives a whole lot better than the egg.
One more reason not to buy HDDs from Newegg is warranty. Newegg ships most HDDs from the US. These days, almost all HDD companies localizes their warranty. So if you have any issues, you have to ship the HDDs bought from Newegg to US RMA centres, and US RMA centres do not ship replacement HDDs to addresses in Canada unless the HDD company operates one centralized RMA centre in the US for US/Canada origin HDDs. The replacement HDDs should be shipped to a US address.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)