Ongoing Deal Discussion

On-Going Western Digital Red HDD Deals (added larger drives)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 15, 2013
128 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
6TB IronWolf seems to be $259.99 best price nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5176 posts
901 upvotes
Montreal
It seems to me that Seagate is the brand that goes on sale more than any other. I just had a Seagate 2TB drive die on me and I have a 1TB Seagate portable that seems really slow when I do a backup to it. My own experience tells me to avoid Seagate. How is their quality now? I have to replace that drive that failed and hesitate to buy the ones currently on sale at Dell Days of Deals.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8793 posts
1294 upvotes
Victoria
Phils wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2017 8:34 am
It seems to me that Seagate is the brand that goes on sale more than any other. I just had a Seagate 2TB drive die on me and I have a 1TB Seagate portable that seems really slow when I do a backup to it. My own experience tells me to avoid Seagate. How is their quality now? I have to replace that drive that failed and hesitate to buy the ones currently on sale at Dell Days of Deals.
I've read that the new bigger ones (8tb, 10tb and maybe 6tb?) are more reliable than the older ones. I've been tempted to buy the odd seagate, but keep looking for deals on enclosures with big WD reds in 'em.

The WD Mybook 16tb is made up of two 8tb reds... was waiting for a sale bit didn't come up... WD is selling an external 8tb model called the "Easystore" that also contains a red. bought one off ebay for about $300 cdn all in.

I've been pillaging WD's out of externals for a number of years now. I think I've saved enough money where I'm ahead even if one dies. I guess I prefer doing that that taking a chance on seagate. I suppose that says something :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5176 posts
901 upvotes
Montreal
I am currently low level formatting my 2GB Seagate desktop drive that seemed to be on its last legs. I'll be interested to see how it fares after that.

I don't know what to do about my Seagate portable which checks out but transfers data like molasses. A Macrium full disc image which takes me under 2 hours on every other drive I own reports that it will need 50 hours on that portable. I have had to stop backups in progress because it was just taking too long.

All my other drive brands are much more reliable.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5176 posts
901 upvotes
Montreal
I am currently low level formatting my 2GB Seagate desktop drive that seemed to be on its last legs. I'll be interested to see how it fares after that.

I don't know what to do about my Seagate portable which checks out but transfers data like molasses. A Macrium full disc image which takes me under 2 hours on every other drive I own reports that it will need 50 hours on that portable. I have had to stop backups in progress because it was just taking too long.

All my other drive brands are much more reliable.
Phils
Jul 11, 2009
393 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
i think i settled on getting two 4gb wd reds. They're all $ 189.99 with free shipping at:
  1. canadacomputers.com;
  2. ncix.com;
  3. newegg.ca;
  4. dell.ca (with coupon); and
  5. amazon.ca;

Which retailer would be best?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12488 posts
4265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JimU wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 10:09 am
i think i settled on getting two 4gb wd reds. They're all $ 189.99 with free shipping at:
  1. canadacomputers.com;
  2. ncix.com;
  3. newegg.ca;
  4. dell.ca (with coupon); and
  5. amazon.ca;

Which retailer would be best?
Amazon would give you the best return policy out of all of them. If you collect ebates maybe there is a difference in cash back return. Other than that, if the price and shipping is the same, it really doesn't matter.
Jan 6, 2008
69 posts
9 upvotes
Richmond
The price of these seem to be dropping for all size drives. OP might want to update first post.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3070 posts
506 upvotes
Water loo
Newegg had 4TB Seagate Ironwolf for $149.99 as a shellshocker deal, but still has the same price if you buy two as a "combo" deal.
Nov 16, 2006
561 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
What's the best deal you guys have seen on WD Red 4TB recently? In the market for 2 units.

From what I can see:
Canada Computers: $169.99
NCIX: $177.99
Newegg: $169.99
Memory Express: $169.99
Amazon: $177.99
Staples: $189.95

Seagate Ironwolf 4TB seems to be best deal at the moment at $149.99 from Newegg but its long-term reliability is questionable from the 1.5TB and 3TB debacle.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4707 posts
1529 upvotes
Toronto
xtreemboarder wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:26 am
What's the best deal you guys have seen on WD Red 4TB recently? In the market for 2 units.

From what I can see:
Canada Computers: $169.99
NCIX: $177.99
Newegg: $169.99
Memory Express: $169.99
Amazon: $177.99
Staples: $189.95

Seagate Ironwolf 4TB seems to be best deal at the moment at $149.99 from Newegg but its long-term reliability is questionable from the 1.5TB and 3TB debacle.
Look at the WD Duos.

I picked up the new revised WD Duo with USB C connections.

Pulled the 2 12TBs drives out and placed personal WD Blacks in there for my personal backup.